A charity has reported that months after the Ebola virus epidemic ended in Guinea, numerous survivors still suffer from physical and mental effects of the epidemic, having insufficient access to healthcare due to lack of funds.
SEE ALSO: Aftermath Of Ebola: Pregnant Women In Guinea Still Avoid The Hospital
More than a thousand of Guineans survived the epidemic which lasted about 42 days with a couple of flare ups some months after the country was declared ebola-free. Most of them are said to suffer from depression as well as post-traumatic stress disorder, the Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) reports.
More are said to suffer from physical discomforts such as joint pains, chronic fatigue, and headaches. Despite their health problems, they can barely afford access to health care.
“It is important that survivors and their families have access to quality care because many are unable to work and cannot afford to pay their own care,” ALIMA said in a statement.
The Ebola virus disease which afflicted some western African countries between 2013 and 2016 resulted in the loss of lives of more than 11,300, with over 20,000 infected.
The countries affected were Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia. Nigeria was least affected, as the Ebola virus disease only lasted 93 days without flare ups.
Although all countries have been declared Ebola-free, there is still a stigma associated with survivors of the disease, in addition to the physical and mental health problems they go through on the daily.
“They are traumatized by what they experienced and overcame,” said Davin Mpaka, a neuropsychiatrist with ALIMA.
“Many feel like they have nothing else to gain from life, but they have no one to talk to about it,” he added.
SEE ALSO: Ebola Survivors May Suffer From Long Term Negative Health Effects
In some cases, non-infected members of the community neglect the use of health care facilities for the fact that Ebola patients have been treated. Some months ago it was reported that these group of Guineans avoiding the hospital included pregnant women.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me