A charity has reported that months after the Ebola virus epidemic ended in Guinea, numerous survivors still suffer from physical and mental effects of the epidemic, having insufficient access to healthcare due to lack of funds.
SEE ALSO: Aftermath Of Ebola: Pregnant Women In Guinea Still Avoid The Hospital
More than a thousand of Guineans survived the epidemic which lasted about 42 days with a couple of flare ups some months after the country was declared ebola-free. Most of them are said to suffer from depression as well as post-traumatic stress disorder, the Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) reports.
More are said to suffer from physical discomforts such as joint pains, chronic fatigue, and headaches. Despite their health problems, they can barely afford access to health care.
“It is important that survivors and their families have access to quality care because many are unable to work and cannot afford to pay their own care,” ALIMA said in a statement.
The Ebola virus disease which afflicted some western African countries between 2013 and 2016 resulted in the loss of lives of more than 11,300, with over 20,000 infected.
The countries affected were Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia. Nigeria was least affected, as the Ebola virus disease only lasted 93 days without flare ups.
Although all countries have been declared Ebola-free, there is still a stigma associated with survivors of the disease, in addition to the physical and mental health problems they go through on the daily.
“They are traumatized by what they experienced and overcame,” said Davin Mpaka, a neuropsychiatrist with ALIMA.
“Many feel like they have nothing else to gain from life, but they have no one to talk to about it,” he added.
SEE ALSO: Ebola Survivors May Suffer From Long Term Negative Health Effects
In some cases, non-infected members of the community neglect the use of health care facilities for the fact that Ebola patients have been treated. Some months ago it was reported that these group of Guineans avoiding the hospital included pregnant women.
Latest Nigeria News
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Albert Einstein’s Theory Of Happiness That More People Should Live By
- Two Budgeting Plans To Make Your Money Last
- Zimbabwe: 3 Key Things To Know About VP Mnangagwa’s Sack
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: 7 Interesting Facts Of The Actor Turned US Governor
- The Paradise Papers: All You Need To Know
- Sweating Blood: The Strange Medical Condition Known As Hematohidrosis
- Ghana Is The Highest Marijuana Using Country In Africa
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?