Above is an even more shocking video of Tuesday’s thuggish attacks at the Rivers State House of Assembly, as reported by Channels Television.
The speaker, Otelemaba Amachree, had convened a session of the legislature in order to amend certain portions of the Rivers State budget. The session followed a prolonged crisis in the state caused by alleged schemes by President Goodluck Jonathan and the ruling Peoples Democratic Party to impeach Mr. Amaechi, who is deemed an impediment to the president’s ambition to seek a second term.
Two lawmakers loyal to Mr. Amachree told reporters that the speaker sensed there was trouble in the air after he sent letters summoning members to today’s session.
“The speaker now sent a message to the state commissioner of police and the brigade commander and leader of the Joint Task Force to ask for security to enable the house [to] sit,” said one of the lawmakers.
The other legislative source added that, unknown to the speaker, five renegade members of the assembly loyal to President Jonathan had met with the commissioner of police overnight and arranged to come prepared to impeach the speaker. “When we arrived at the state assembly today, we were surprised to see a huge number of military men and well armed policemen,” said the source.
The report said trouble soon started as a member of the house, Evans Bapakaye Bipi, representing Ogu/Bolo constituency arrived with thugs, pounced on the house leaders, Michael Chinda and Chidi Lloyd, while the police and the military kept their distance.
When Governor Amaechi heard of the fracas and the refusal of the police and members of the JTF to intervene, the report said, he rushed to the house with his aides and armed escorts and succeeded in rescuing members of the house loyal to him.
As the governor and majority of the legislators were leaving the site of the mayhem, they discovered that five renegade members of the house empowered by President Jonathan had seized the mace. They then ran back to retrieve the mace from the minority group, our sources said.
The video below captured attack led by a member of the Rivers State house of assembly in an attempt to impeach the speaker of the house.
The Speaker and 26 other members of the house are loyal to the governor, Rotimi Amaechi, while five others led by Evans Bapakaye Bipi, representing Ogu/Bolo constituency are loyal to President Goodluck Jonathan and his wife, Patience.
Mr. Bipi here is seen arriving the house with thugs, he later attacked the camera crew before breaking into the chambers to attack his colleagues.
Latest Nigeria News
- Scientists Are Working On A Device That Could Generate Electricity From Human Blood
- Check Out This Guide On What The Colour Of Your Urine Could Mean
- Roulette: History and Everything Else You Should Know
- 6 Things You Should Not Do During Your Period – Women’s Health
- Morocco To Test The ‘Fastest Train In Africa’
- Pixel Buds: Google Developed Earbuds That Translate 40 Languages In Real-Time
- Ntando Mahlangu: The 15-Year-Old Blade Runner Making South Africa Proud
- China’s Wicked New Way To Force Debtors To Pay Up
- Akon Lighting Africa Initiative: Singer Takes Power To Mozambique
- This Is How Contact Lenses Could Harm Your Eyesight
- Diwali: 5 Things You Should Know About The Indian Light Festival
- Black Or White: Who Should Exercise More?
- Remember Haile Selassie? Grandson Weds His Princess In A Lavish Ceremony [Photos]
- Baby Kicks: 7 Quick Facts You Didn’t Know
- Panama Papers Journalist Killed In Malta: 5 Answers To Questions You Have
- World Food Day: Preventing Food Waste In Your Own Home
- The Different Shades Of Joy: World Happiness Report 2017
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark