Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, has ordered the renaming of the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Mosque to Mariam, Umm Eisa which in English means “Mary, the mother of Jesus”.
The Sheikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Mosque in Al Mushrif is situated in a district in the capital Abu Dhabi.
Coming as a religious shock to many. Some Muslims have debunked the notion that renaming the mosque after Mary, mother of Jesus is an absurdity. Citing their Holy Book, they say they believe in the role of Mary to the religion as the mother of Jesus.
Orthodox Christians like Roman Catholics, believe and honor the role of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the church as the mother of God- Jesus.
The authorities’ objective in renaming the mosque is to strengthen the unifying elements and beliefs of both the Christian and the Islamic religion. The idea is to “consolidate bonds of humanity between followers of different religions.”
See Also: UAE Appoints First Ever Ministers Of ‘Happiness’ And ‘Tolerance’ – What’s The Idea?
They believe this will disarm to a maximum, the dividing factors between both orthodox religions.
In February last year, UAE created 2 ministries- Ministry of Happiness and Ministry of Tolerance; headed by Ohoud Al-Roumi and Sheikha Lubna Al Qassimi respectively (both women).
With regards to the renaming of the Sheikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the UAE, Sheikha Lubna Al Qasimi, Minister of State for Tolerance, shared her appreciation and thanked Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed for his “wise directives in carrying out this initiative that set a shining example, and a beautiful image of the tolerance and coexistence enjoyed by the UAE”.
The Minister said it was a remarkable coincidence that the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Mosque was renamed on Wednesday (Ramadan 19), the Zayed Humanitarian Day.
Christian Ministers of various denominations have applauded the rare development.
A stone-throw away from the newly-renamed mosque is St Andrew’s Church, an Anglican parish. The senior chaplain, Reverend Canon Andrew Thompson, expressed his delight over the event.
See Also: Virgin Mary Appears In Africa – The Congo Apparition
“We are delighted that we are celebrating something that we have in common between both our faiths,”
“Mary, as the mother of Jesus, is, of course, a holy, special figure in our communities. She is a woman who symbolizes obedience to God. We look forward to growing in deeper understanding with our neighbours, and we celebrate with them the new name of the mosque.”
In an interview with Gulf News, Jeramie Rinne said renaming the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Mosque after a significant Christian figure was indeed a move towards religious tolerance.
“His Highness Shaikh Mohammad has made another generous gesture of religious tolerance in renaming the mosque,”
“The UAE continues to set the pace in this region for peaceful coexistence and cooperation. We are very encouraged and feel blessed to be a part of this nation.”
NOTE: In terms of the happiness index, UAE has been ranked above Brazil, France and Spain; and the highest-ranked Arab country.
Latest Nigeria News
- Showcase Synonyms – 20 Words That Can Be Used Instead
- Synonyms And Antonyms Of Spirit You Can Use Anytime
- Darwin’s Theory Ban: Turkey Disagrees With Man’s Evolution From Apes
- 4 Reasons FIFA Is Finding It Hard To Get Sponsors For The 2018 World Cup
- Nike To Release A New Performance Hijab For Muslim Female Athletes
- African Widowhood: Remembering The Plight Of Widows In Our Society
- The South African Human Lamb Story And Bestiality Concerns In Africa
- Meet The Four Beautiful Women That Won Beyonce’s ‘Formation’ Scholarship Program
- Kelechi Iheanacho: Chronicles Of The Manchester City Star
- Queens Of Africa: The Women Who Have Shaped Africa As Illustrated By Onyinye Iwu
- Dangling Children: 3 Times Parents Sent Wrong Signals To The World
- Grenfell Tower: Top 10 Lessons To Learn From The London Fire
- Jair Bolsonaro: Five Ways This Brazil’s Presidential Candidate Is Like Donald Trump
- Why You Should Trade On Tonaton And How To Sign Up For Free
- Bamako Resort Attack: Why Foreigners Are Constant Targets In Mali
- Vehicle-Ramming Attacks: Three Ways Terrorism Has Changed In Recent Times
- Beyonce’s Twins And Five Times The Superstar Was Nigerian Culture Goals
- Ethiopia: Archaeologists Have Just Discovered An Ancient Islamic City[Photos]
- 7 Important Things Your Dad May Need To Hear This Fathers Day
- 5 Things To Not Do On Fathers Day
- Egypt: Parents Who Give Their Children Western Names Could Face A Jail Term
- Abu Dhabi: Mosque Gets Renamed After Mary, The Mother Of Jesus
- Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi: Russia May Have Killed ISIS Boss
- Femi Aribisala: The Igbo Tribe Have Been A Great Credit To Nigeria
- Natasha Elcock: London Tower Inferno Survivor Shares Miraculous Escape
- Gift Ideas For Your Father Ahead Of Fathers Day
- China’s World Cup Ambitions: FIFA President Gianni Infantino Meets President Xi
- Man Mistaken For Former Ivory Coast President Beaten In France
- Ramadan: Tunisians Demand Freedom To Break Fast
- World Blood Donor Day: 5 Reasons To Donate Blood Anyday
- White-owned Ranches In Kenya To Be Dismantled If Raila Odinga Wins In August
- Middle East Crisis: Somalia Shuns Saudi’s $80M Gift With Strings Attached
- A KFC Sandwich Is Going To The Edge Of Space
- How To Get The Beyonce No Makeup Look- Top 10 Tips
- Six People Dead In Massive Fire In London Residential Area
- Usain Bolt’s Emotional Jamaica Farewell: Four Things We Love About Him
- Africa’s Tallest Building Is Coming Soon To Nairobi
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja