Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, has ordered the renaming of the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Mosque to Mariam, Umm Eisa which in English means “Mary, the mother of Jesus”.
The Sheikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Mosque in Al Mushrif is situated in a district in the capital Abu Dhabi.
Coming as a religious shock to many. Some Muslims have debunked the notion that renaming the mosque after Mary, mother of Jesus is an absurdity. Citing their Holy Book, they say they believe in the role of Mary to the religion as the mother of Jesus.
Orthodox Christians like Roman Catholics, believe and honor the role of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the church as the mother of God- Jesus.
The authorities’ objective in renaming the mosque is to strengthen the unifying elements and beliefs of both the Christian and the Islamic religion. The idea is to “consolidate bonds of humanity between followers of different religions.”
See Also: UAE Appoints First Ever Ministers Of ‘Happiness’ And ‘Tolerance’ – What’s The Idea?
They believe this will disarm to a maximum, the dividing factors between both orthodox religions.
In February last year, UAE created 2 ministries- Ministry of Happiness and Ministry of Tolerance; headed by Ohoud Al-Roumi and Sheikha Lubna Al Qassimi respectively (both women).
With regards to the renaming of the Sheikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the UAE, Sheikha Lubna Al Qasimi, Minister of State for Tolerance, shared her appreciation and thanked Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed for his “wise directives in carrying out this initiative that set a shining example, and a beautiful image of the tolerance and coexistence enjoyed by the UAE”.
The Minister said it was a remarkable coincidence that the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Mosque was renamed on Wednesday (Ramadan 19), the Zayed Humanitarian Day.
Christian Ministers of various denominations have applauded the rare development.
A stone-throw away from the newly-renamed mosque is St Andrew’s Church, an Anglican parish. The senior chaplain, Reverend Canon Andrew Thompson, expressed his delight over the event.
See Also: Virgin Mary Appears In Africa – The Congo Apparition
“We are delighted that we are celebrating something that we have in common between both our faiths,”
“Mary, as the mother of Jesus, is, of course, a holy, special figure in our communities. She is a woman who symbolizes obedience to God. We look forward to growing in deeper understanding with our neighbours, and we celebrate with them the new name of the mosque.”
In an interview with Gulf News, Jeramie Rinne said renaming the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Mosque after a significant Christian figure was indeed a move towards religious tolerance.
“His Highness Shaikh Mohammad has made another generous gesture of religious tolerance in renaming the mosque,”
“The UAE continues to set the pace in this region for peaceful coexistence and cooperation. We are very encouraged and feel blessed to be a part of this nation.”
NOTE: In terms of the happiness index, UAE has been ranked above Brazil, France and Spain; and the highest-ranked Arab country.
Latest Nigeria News
- Morocco To Test The ‘Fastest Train In Africa’
- Pixel Buds: Google Developed Earbuds That Translate 40 Languages In Real-Time
- Ntando Mahlangu: The 15-Year-Old Blade Runner Making South Africa Proud
- China’s Wicked New Way To Force Debtors To Pay Up
- Akon Lighting Africa Initiative: Singer Takes Power To Mozambique
- This Is How Contact Lenses Could Harm Your Eyesight
- Diwali: 5 Things You Should Know About The Indian Light Festival
- Black Or White: Who Should Exercise More?
- Remember Haile Selassie? Grandson Weds His Princess In A Lavish Ceremony [Photos]
- Baby Kicks: 7 Quick Facts You Didn’t Know
- Panama Papers Journalist Killed In Malta: 5 Answers To Questions You Have
- World Food Day: Preventing Food Waste In Your Own Home
- The Different Shades Of Joy: World Happiness Report 2017
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark
- Five Quick Facts About Ghana’s Recent Gas Explosion
- Madagascar Plague: All You Need To Know
- The Honeymoon Tradition: 5 Historical Facts You Did Not Know
- Thieves On The Chest