Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, has ordered the renaming of the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Mosque to Mariam, Umm Eisa which in English means “Mary, the mother of Jesus”.
The Sheikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Mosque in Al Mushrif is situated in a district in the capital Abu Dhabi.
Coming as a religious shock to many. Some Muslims have debunked the notion that renaming the mosque after Mary, mother of Jesus is an absurdity. Citing their Holy Book, they say they believe in the role of Mary to the religion as the mother of Jesus.
Orthodox Christians like Roman Catholics, believe and honor the role of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the church as the mother of God- Jesus.
The authorities’ objective in renaming the mosque is to strengthen the unifying elements and beliefs of both the Christian and the Islamic religion. The idea is to “consolidate bonds of humanity between followers of different religions.”
See Also: UAE Appoints First Ever Ministers Of ‘Happiness’ And ‘Tolerance’ – What’s The Idea?
They believe this will disarm to a maximum, the dividing factors between both orthodox religions.
In February last year, UAE created 2 ministries- Ministry of Happiness and Ministry of Tolerance; headed by Ohoud Al-Roumi and Sheikha Lubna Al Qassimi respectively (both women).
With regards to the renaming of the Sheikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the UAE, Sheikha Lubna Al Qasimi, Minister of State for Tolerance, shared her appreciation and thanked Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed for his “wise directives in carrying out this initiative that set a shining example, and a beautiful image of the tolerance and coexistence enjoyed by the UAE”.
The Minister said it was a remarkable coincidence that the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Mosque was renamed on Wednesday (Ramadan 19), the Zayed Humanitarian Day.
Christian Ministers of various denominations have applauded the rare development.
A stone-throw away from the newly-renamed mosque is St Andrew’s Church, an Anglican parish. The senior chaplain, Reverend Canon Andrew Thompson, expressed his delight over the event.
See Also: Virgin Mary Appears In Africa – The Congo Apparition
“We are delighted that we are celebrating something that we have in common between both our faiths,”
“Mary, as the mother of Jesus, is, of course, a holy, special figure in our communities. She is a woman who symbolizes obedience to God. We look forward to growing in deeper understanding with our neighbours, and we celebrate with them the new name of the mosque.”
In an interview with Gulf News, Jeramie Rinne said renaming the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Mosque after a significant Christian figure was indeed a move towards religious tolerance.
“His Highness Shaikh Mohammad has made another generous gesture of religious tolerance in renaming the mosque,”
“The UAE continues to set the pace in this region for peaceful coexistence and cooperation. We are very encouraged and feel blessed to be a part of this nation.”
NOTE: In terms of the happiness index, UAE has been ranked above Brazil, France and Spain; and the highest-ranked Arab country.
Latest Nigeria News
- 38 Years Later Angolans Go To The Polls To Finally Replace President Dos Santos
- Eva Echeverria: Johnson & Johnson Talcum Powder Linked To Ovarian Cancer
- President Buhari To Work From Home; Blames It On Rats
- Botswana Warns China Against Interfering In Its Decisions
- Former Libyan Prime Minister Kidnapped
- Ghana: First Lady Proposes 5 Months Maternity Leave For Women
- The Nokia 8 Is Coming Soon And It’s Bringing The Bothie to Replace Your Selfie
- Global Agenda: How To Play The Online Team-based Game
- Veronica Porsche Ali: All You Need To Know About Ali’s Third Ex-Wife
- 5 Misconceptions About Having A Hot Wife
- Sierra Leone: Mass Burial Service As Death Toll Increases To 500
- How The Mugabes Stole the Show Again At SADC
- USS John S. McCain: US Navy Ship Collides With Oil Tanker Near Singapore
- Serial Spain Terrorist Attacks Leave 13 Dead; Over 100 Injured
- Keo Motsepe: Get To Know This South African Dancer
- Proof Rapper: Eminem’s Best Friend, In Life And Death
- Adebayo Ogunlesi: Trump Fires His Nigerian Economic Adviser On Twitter
- Eskimi: How To Use This Social Network
- Benzoic Acid: Health Effects And All You Need To Know
- Kenya Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism Of Its Elements
- Senegalese Music: The Women And Men Dominating The Scene
- Jacaranda Tree: What You Need To Know About This Beauty
- How To Dab: Dance Origin And Why Everyone Is Doing It
- Make A Stressful Time Bearable By Doing These
- Nnedi Okoroafor Is Taking Lagos, Nigeria To The Comic World
- Anonymous Logo: What The Hactivists Want You To Know About Them
- Ethiopian Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism
- Using Poop To Cook In Kenya
- Mr Popo: Everything About The Strongest Character in Dragon Ball Z
- Sierra Leone: Over 300 People Killed In Mudslide
- Burkina Faso: Gunmen Attack Ouagadougou Restaurant, killing 18
- New Study: Top 5 Things That Can Give You Cancer
- Porous Definition, Meaning, Synonyms And Sentence Use
- Bitcoin Surge: All The Possible Reasons Why The Cryptocurrency Has Broken Past $4000
- Kenya Elects First Female Governors Amidst Post-election Tension
- New Study: Vitamin B3 Intake Could Prevent Miscarriages & Birth Defects
- How Tall Is Putin And Other Facts About The Russian President
- Time In Nigeria: The Concept Of Nigerian Time
- Election Time In Kenya: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- Isaac Makwala: Runner Denied Entry To London Stadium And Africa Wants To Know Why