Kenya’s election is on Tuesday and the pre-election season has been very intense. The internet jumped on the train, heartily, making parables, and jokes and bandying about some popular slogans about the elections.
See Also: Kenyan Elections: Barack Obama Warns Leaders Not To Compromise On Peace
Wordplay is always a big part of elections as politicians and their supporters try to get the jump on each other. President Donald trump during the U.S election cycle gave s such great hits as ‘Crooked Hilary’ and ‘Lock her up.’
The Kenyan elections have been no less a part of these popular slogans during elections tradition and as the whole world watches, we may as well get to know what everyone is talking about.
Here are a few of the popular slogans from Kenya’s elections you should get to know;
“Tano tena” vs. “Nane nane”
Tano tena is Kenyatta’s running slogan. It translates to “five more years” which is what the people will have if he wins. Ralia Odinga is, however, calling on voters to remove the incumbent from power on nane nane —Aug. 8.
“The road to Canaan”
Raila Odinga has referred to Kenya’s political journey since independence as Canaan, the area in ancient Palestine that Israelites considered the biblical land God promised Abraham and his descendants. He is promising to lead Kenyans to the promised land if he is elected.
“Tibim” and “tialala”
Paul Ongili, better known as Babu Owino invented these two words. The former head of the University of Nairobi student organization who is now a candidate to represent the Embakasi East constituency of Nairobi county in parliament told Quartz that tibim means “revolution, in this case, political revolution.” Politicians have also said the word is an acronym that stands for “together in building an irresistible movement.”
“Tuko ndani, ndaani, ndaaani”
The secretary general of Kenya’s oldest political party, Nick Salat, coined this term while addressing members of an opposition crowd. Ndani is Swahili for “inside” and Salat repeated the word to emphasize that his party fully supported Odinga’s party against Kenyatta.
See Also: Paul Kagame’s Third Term: Four Things Rwandans Can Expect
He, however, retracted his position later to declare his support for the president’s re-election. Kenyans now use it to mean they are part of an outfit or movement.
“Wacha elections ziishe”
The phrase wacha elections ziishe, or “let the elections end” has become popular to explain why certain events are not taking place or some processes are not moving forward.
Concerns have continued to mount over the prospect of electoral violence. Nairobi is now eerily quiet, with businesses closed and the stream of traffic reduced. As many residents leave the capital to vote in rural areas or to avoid any potential violence,
Latest Nigeria News
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Nigeria Coat of Arm: Fast Facts About The Special Symbol
- Top 5 Onion Health Facts You Didn’t Know
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?