A recent case of the Indian 10-year old pregnant rape victim has left the court and the medics torn in two.
The family of the girl filed a petition for an abortion but the Supreme Court has denied the request. The concerns are both ways- Can a 10-year old who has not properly known how to take care of herself go through labor and nurse a child? What are her chances of survival? On the other hand, if granted the permission to abort, can a girl of that age survive the procedure? More so when the baby is 32 weeks old.
Rape in India has become alarming. Women and children are often the core victims of rape in India.
Health experts have found it baffling to address the sad incident of the Indian 10-year old pregnant rape victim.
The child whose name is withdrawn was constantly molested by a male relative identified as the mother’s cousin. The rapist-relative lived with the family of the girl.
No one could tell anything was wrong with the child except that she was putting on more weight especially in her tummy area. The 10-year old has always been a chubby baby so it was not necessarily an issue.
See Also: Rape Stories From Africa That Have Broken Our Hearts
However it got to a disturbing point when the innocent child complained of pains in her lower abdomen 3 weeks ago. The parents took her to the hospital and the truth was too heavy for them to comprehend. Their 10-year old baby girl was 7 months pregnant.
Rape is one of the most common crimes against women in India. A survey by Human Rights Watch revealed that in India, more than 7,200 minors – 1.6 in 100,000 minors are annually raped.
The National Crime Records Bureau 2013 annual report, says that out of 24, 923 reported rape cases, 24, 470 were committed by persons familiar to the victims.
BBC also says 50% of abusers are known to the child or are “persons in trust and care-givers”.
Proving the above statistic true was the case of this Indian 10-year old pregnant rape victim. The accused relative admitted his actions and have been subsequently locked up in prison and awaiting trial.
Mahavir Singh, of the Chandigarh State Legal Services Authority said:
“We have seen lots of cases of teenage pregnancies involving 14 to 15-year-olds, but this is the first ever case that I have seen of a 10-year-old,”
See Also: Indian Rape Victim Raped Again In Hospital’s Care
For cases such as this Indian 10-year old pregnant rape victim, child rape survivors move the motion that the victim be allowed to abort at 20 weeks. As seen in this case, most times the children exceed the duration because no one readily suspects a 10-year old to be pregnant.
The girl who has been described as happy, shy and reticent does not know in clear terms what the problem is. Doctors say she is mildly anemic but the fetus is doing fine.
More saddening is the fact that the girl in question survived a hole in the heart in 2013. Just how much trauma can she take at this age?
Her father, a government employee and a domestic helper mum have been totally shattered by this event. Her father said:
“I want him [the abuser] to be severely punished. He should get the death penalty or be locked away for the rest of his life in prison. He has admitted to the crime. But he has never said sorry to us,”
Already the family battle the stigma of the situation.
All this Indian pregnant rape victim knows is that there is a big stone in her stomach which doctors will remove soon. For her safety, Caesarean delivery has been prescribed.
Her mental health is another top priority for her to have a lesser future baggage.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?