Men can lactate. No really, male lactation is a thing and it can happen naturally.
Lactation refers to the secretion of milk from the mammary glands and the period of time that a mother lactates to feed a baby or at least that is the way most definitions of lactation go now. Men can totally lactate if they want the job and have the right tools.
Right now, we call the process of feeding a baby milk breastfeeding or nursing and it is a job for the mother. It has, however, been shown that men can lactate so the question that is probably left to answer is; why don’t they begin producing milk in the appropriate circumstances like women do?
See Also: Darwin’s Theory Ban: Turkey Disagrees With Man’s Evolution From Apes
In the first place, genetics are the major reason why women and not men lactate routinely in appropriate circumstances. Physiologist jared diamond wrote in a 1995 article that “The genes on chromosome 23, acting in concert with genes on other chromosomes, ultimately determine all differences between our sexes. Those differences, of course, include not only the possession of ovaries as opposed to testes but also the post-adolescent differences in beards, pitch of voice, and breast development.”
Both the male and female mammals possess mammary glands which is the organ that produces milk. during puberty, the mammary glands in females develop to a point where a hormonal spike—most notably of prolactin—can easily induce lactation.
In males, however, the mammary gland often does not mature to that level. This means that the reason that men do not lactate naturally is basically a hormonal one. When the right hormones are provided, male lactation is absolutely possible.
The circumstances to induce male lactation are quite rare but they exist. Check them out;
In this case, you generally, need to introduce both estrogen and prolactin into the system, often by injection. Some drugs, like Thorazine—an antipsychotic popular in the mid-20th century—and the heart medication digoxin have induced milk from men as a side effect.
It has been said that during World War II, thousands of men reported lactation while held as prisoners either in Japanese POW camps or Nazi concentration camps.
See Also: The Previously Unknown Organ In Your Body That Stops Your Intestines From Falling
When a person is malnourished, the hormone-producing glands—like the pituitary gland, which generates prolactin—are impeded, but so too is the hormone-destroying liver. If proper nourishment is later provided, the glands recover much more quickly than the liver, causing hormone levels to skyrocket.
When the Pituitary gland is targeted
Something could target the pituitary gland and cause it to produce more prolactin. Breastfeeding expert Jack Newman notes that a tumor on the pituitary gland could have this effect.
Latest Nigeria News
- Serial Spain Terrorist Attacks Leave 13 Dead; Over 100 Injured
- Keo Motsepe: Get To Know This South African Dancer
- Proof Rapper: Eminem’s Best Friend, In Life And Death
- Adebayo Ogunlesi: Trump Fires His Nigerian Economic Adviser On Twitter
- Eskimi: How To Use This Social Network
- Benzoic Acid: Health Effects And All You Need To Know
- Kenya Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism Of Its Elements
- Senegalese Music: The Women And Men Dominating The Scene
- Jacaranda Tree: What You Need To Know About This Beauty
- How To Dab: Dance Origin And Why Everyone Is Doing It
- Make A Stressful Time Bearable By Doing These
- Nnedi Okoroafor Is Taking Lagos, Nigeria To The Comic World
- Anonymous Logo: What The Hactivists Want You To Know About Them
- Ethiopian Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism
- Using Poop To Cook In Kenya
- Mr Popo: Everything About The Strongest Character in Dragon Ball Z
- Sierra Leone: Over 300 People Killed In Mudslide
- Burkina Faso: Gunmen Attack Ouagadougou Restaurant, killing 18
- New Study: Top 5 Things That Can Give You Cancer
- Porous Definition, Meaning, Synonyms And Sentence Use
- Bitcoin Surge: All The Possible Reasons Why The Cryptocurrency Has Broken Past $4000
- Kenya Elects First Female Governors Amidst Post-election Tension
- New Study: Vitamin B3 Intake Could Prevent Miscarriages & Birth Defects
- How Tall Is Putin And Other Facts About The Russian President
- Time In Nigeria: The Concept Of Nigerian Time
- Election Time In Kenya: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- Isaac Makwala: Runner Denied Entry To London Stadium And Africa Wants To Know Why
- Kimlan Jinakul: Thaliland Grandma Achieves Her Academic Dream @ 91
- Facebook And Chill! Five Reasons We Are Excited That Facebook Is Going Into The TV Game
- Natalie Becker: The Rise Of The South African Actress
- The Real Cost Of An Electric Car
- Guam Threat: North Korea Aims To Strike The US Military Installation
- Zuma’s Latest No-Confidence Vote: The Real Winners And Losers
- Kenya Election Day: Opposition Says The Election Was Hacked In The President’s Favor
- Fasten Your Loan Request At Equity Bank Kenya With These Tips
- Hiroshima & Nagasaki: 6 Quick Facts About The Historical Tragedies
- Can Men Really Lactate?
- India: The Medical Dilemma Of A 10-Year Old Pregnant Rape Victim
- Popular Slogans You Should Get To Know In Kenya’s Elections
- Kenyan Elections: Barack Obama Warns Leaders Not To Compromise On Peace