Though both countries have become allies at this time to fight North Korea, Japan may never forget the Hiroshima and the Nagasaki atomic bombings that destroyed thousands of lives, cities and ruined their natural environment.
In 1945, the United States dropped nuclear weapons on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki on August 6 and 9 respectively.
Marking the 72 years anniversary of the tragic incidence, Japanese Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe has called for “a world free of nuclear weapons”. He also pledged commitment towards world peace.
The event took place at Peace Memorial Park, near Hiroshima’s ground zero. Report says the event which held on the 6th on August was attended by 50,000 people and representatives from 80 nations and the EU.
As the North Korean tension increases with the Guam threat, today coincidentally marks the atomic bombing of Nagasaki decades ago.
2 years ago, survivor Sumiteru Taniguchi his horrifying tale, saying his skin hung “like rags from his arms and back.”
These are 6 quick facts about the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombing:
1. Marked The End World War II
The world war ended a few days after the Hiroshima and Nagasaki attack. It was also seen as part of the Pacific war which Japan literally started.
By the end of 1941, Japan pervaded Thailand and attacked United States military bases in Hawaii, Wake Island, Guam and the Philippines. Coupled with their refusal to surrender to the Potsdam Declaration demands, US retaliated with the atomic bombs. It was after this that Japan surrendered.
See Also: Syrian Strikes: Assad, Russia & Iran Jointly Warn Trump To Keep Off Syria
2. Decimated Thousands In The Twinkle Of An Eye
The bombs detonated about 1,900 feet (600 metres) above the ground. Report says that about 70, 000 people were instantly killed while thousands more died from the after-effects of the radiation.
Tokyo, Japan’s capital only caught wind of the attack about 3 hours later.
Jointly the 2 bombs claimed a current estimate of 200, 000 lives with over 60,000 buildings destroyed.
For the Hiroshima attack, the atomic bomb made of Uranium was used. It is referred to as the “little boy”.
3 days later another atomic bomb was unleashed on Nagasaki. This was considered more powerful than little boy, thus called the “Fat man”.
4 months after the attacks, 90, 000 – 146, 000 people in Hiroshima and 39, 000 – 80, 000 in Nagasaki died from the dangerous chemical effects. Subsequently there were increased cases of mental retardation, cancers, keloids, genetic mutations, health complications and all forms of disability.
3. This Was The Only Time A Nuclear Weapon Was Used For Warfare In History
4. Only One Man Survived Both Attacks
While there were survivors of the separate attacks, only one man was said to have survived both bombings. Tsutomi Yamaguchi narrowly escaped the Hiroshima blasting. In search of refuge he fled to Nagasaki where he witnessed the next attack. Yamaguchi died of stomach cancer in 2010.
See Also: Guam Threat: North Korea Aims To Strike The US Military Installation
5. The Flower Of Hope
After the Mushroom cloud, came the red canna flowers. The effect of the bombings were so grave that no one expected plants to grow in Hiroshima at the time. After a while came the red canna flowers in the midst of the destruction. This gave the people hope for the future.
6. History May Repeat Itself
With the war of words and provocative acts, the world fears that the slightest violent move from either north korea or the US may repeat the Hiroshima & Nagasaki tragedy. Ever since the 72 year old attack, the U.S. has reportedly built 4,680 nuclear bombers.
Truman’s statement before the atomic strike read thus:
“It is a harnessing of the basic power of the universe. The force from which the sun draws its power has been loosed against those who brought war to the Far East,”
“If they do not now accept our terms they may expect a rain of ruin from the air, the like of which has never been seen on this earth.”
Trump’s latest message to North Korea over the Guam threat:
“North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States. They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Nigeria Coat of Arm: Fast Facts About The Special Symbol
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?