It is still Kenya election day considering that the votes are still being counted but already the opposition is disagreeing with the results. Raila Odinga and his NASA coalition party have rejected the results of the entire general election.
According to them, the electoral commission’s database was hacked and the data manipulated which render the results useless. Raila Odinga claims that the hackers gained access to the database at 12:37 pm on Kenya election day and created errors. in his view, they did this by introducing algorithms that rigged the election in favour of President Uhuru Kenyatta.
See Also: Kenyan Elections: Barack Obama Warns Leaders Not To Compromise On Peace
The opposition candidate held a press conference with his running mate and party officials where they informed the press that the hackers manipulated the election database using passwords stolen from Chris Msando.
You will recall that Chris Msando was allegedly tortured and killed in the days prior to the election. Prior to his death, he had been the senior electoral official in charge of managing the IT systems of the voting technology.
Odinga has, therefore, declared the results which place President Kenyatta in the lead a fraud and termed the hacking as a “tragedy of monumental proportion” and an “attack on our democracy.”
As at the time of the press conference, 72% of the votes had been counted with President Kenyatta leading with 7.7 million votes compared to Raila Odinga’s 6.3 million.
The opposition was still due to meet with officials from the Independent Electoral Boundaries Commission (IEBC) in order to address the hacking concerns, as at the time of this report and they asked Kenyans to remain calm.
See Also: Popular Slogans You Should Get To Know In Kenya’s Elections
Kalonzo Musyoka, Odinga’s running mate, said;
“We call on Kenyans to remain calm, but there may come a time when we will call you to action,”
The former United Nations special rapporteur on human rights, Maina Kiai, has called on the IEBC to publish all Form 34As, a document used to tabulate the results so that observers “can all do the math.”
These claims are highly unwanted as Kenya election day draws to a close. It is very important that the perception of having had a free and fair election be spread around Kenya to avoid any post-election violence but all must be done to still ensure that the people’s vote indeed do count.
Latest Nigeria News
- Morocco To Test The ‘Fastest Train In Africa’
- Pixel Buds: Google Developed Earbuds That Translate 40 Languages In Real-Time
- Ntando Mahlangu: The 15-Year-Old Blade Runner Making South Africa Proud
- China’s Wicked New Way To Force Debtors To Pay Up
- Akon Lighting Africa Initiative: Singer Takes Power To Mozambique
- This Is How Contact Lenses Could Harm Your Eyesight
- Diwali: 5 Things You Should Know About The Indian Light Festival
- Black Or White: Who Should Exercise More?
- Remember Haile Selassie? Grandson Weds His Princess In A Lavish Ceremony [Photos]
- Baby Kicks: 7 Quick Facts You Didn’t Know
- Panama Papers Journalist Killed In Malta: 5 Answers To Questions You Have
- World Food Day: Preventing Food Waste In Your Own Home
- The Different Shades Of Joy: World Happiness Report 2017
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark
- Five Quick Facts About Ghana’s Recent Gas Explosion
- Madagascar Plague: All You Need To Know
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''