Guam Threat– Once again North Korea targets a United States territory, in the western Pacific Ocean. Guam has a population of 162,742 people who are American natives.
As a result, the Governor of Guam, Eddie Calvo in a video response has considered this to be yet another threat to the United States. He also assures the people that while there have been no other threats from NK, the Guam’s military defense is equal to the task.
“I also want to remind national media that Guam is American soil and we have 200,000 Americans in Guam and the Marianas. We are not just a military installation.”
“They’ve slowly developed their capabilities but we stand in high confidence with the US (Defense Department’s) ability to not only defend Guam and the surrounding areas but also the continental US… There are several layers of ballistic missile defense.”
The Guam threat is a reaction from Pyongyang in revolt of the joint drill of Japan and the US on the Korean peninsula. It may also be a follow up to their threats to “retaliate” after the UN sanctions.
With no success in bringing North Korea to consider diplomacy in its rift with South Korea and the United States, UN has urged countries to help enforce the sanctions.
See Also: UN Sanctions: North Korea Out To Deal With The United States
Publicly accepting the call of the UN was China which is North Korea’s largest trading partner. The sanctions will shake the North Korean economy by giving it a $1 billion deficit; limited banking investments and restriction of North Korean labor in diaspora.
After accepting to comply with the UN, China also mentioned that they would be bearing the most brunt of the sanctions.
North Korea which seems to be standing alone at this time says it will not budge. Rather, the government has reiterated its threats of attacking the United States.
According to the Asian country’s state media agency, KCNA, North Korean military force is “examining the operational plan” to attack Guam surroundings with ballistic missiles.
“The KPA strategic force is now carefully examining the operational plan for making an enveloping fire at the areas around Guam with medium- to long-range strategic ballistic rocket Hwasong-12 in order to contain the US major military bases on Guam, including the Anderson airforce base,”
See Also: Hwasong-14 Missile: Pyongyang Sends America An Independence Day Gift
It says the idea is “to send a serious warning signal to the US.” Guam is currently home to a US airbase, a submarine squadron, and a coastguard group.
Andersen Air Force Base is about 3, 400 km (2,100 miles) away from North Korea.
In response to the Guam threat, military spokesman Johnny Michael said:
“We always maintain a high state of readiness and have the capabilities to counter any threat, to include those from North Korea,”
Guam became a US territory during the Spanish–American War in 1898. It is one of the seventeen Non-Self-Governing Territories of the United Nations
Japan who is also at risk of preemptive strikes from North Korea says all options are on the table. Together with the US, the nation conducted air drills which North Korea has considered an actual provocation of war.
Following that, the president of the United States, Donald Trump had this to say:
“North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States. They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Kenya Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism Of Its Elements
- Senegalese Music: The Women And Men Dominating The Scene
- Jacaranda Tree: What You Need To Know About This Beauty
- How To Dab: Dance Origin And Why Everyone Is Doing It
- Make A Stressful Time Bearable By Doing These
- Nnedi Okoroafor Is Taking Lagos, Nigeria To The Comic World
- Anonymous Logo: What The Hactivists Want You To Know About Them
- Ethiopian Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism
- Using Poop To Cook In Kenya
- Mr Popo: Everything About The Strongest Character in Dragon Ball Z
- Sierra Leone: Over 300 People Killed In Mudslide
- Burkina Faso: Gunmen Attack Ouagadougou Restaurant, killing 18
- New Study: Top 5 Things That Can Give You Cancer
- Porous Definition, Meaning, Synonyms And Sentence Use
- Bitcoin Surge: All The Possible Reasons Why The Cryptocurrency Has Broken Past $4000
- Kenya Elects First Female Governors Amidst Post-election Tension
- New Study: Vitamin B3 Intake Could Prevent Miscarriages & Birth Defects
- How Tall Is Putin And Other Facts About The Russian President
- Time In Nigeria: The Concept Of Nigerian Time
- Election Time In Kenya: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- Isaac Makwala: Runner Denied Entry To London Stadium And Africa Wants To Know Why
- Kimlan Jinakul: Thaliland Grandma Achieves Her Academic Dream @ 91
- Facebook And Chill! Five Reasons We Are Excited That Facebook Is Going Into The TV Game
- Natalie Becker: The Rise Of The South African Actress
- The Real Cost Of An Electric Car
- Guam Threat: North Korea Aims To Strike The US Military Installation
- Zuma’s Latest No-Confidence Vote: The Real Winners And Losers
- Kenya Election Day: Opposition Says The Election Was Hacked In The President’s Favor
- Fasten Your Loan Request At Equity Bank Kenya With These Tips
- Hiroshima & Nagasaki: 6 Quick Facts About The Historical Tragedies
- Can Men Really Lactate?
- India: The Medical Dilemma Of A 10-Year Old Pregnant Rape Victim
- Popular Slogans You Should Get To Know In Kenya’s Elections
- Kenyan Elections: Barack Obama Warns Leaders Not To Compromise On Peace
- UN Sanctions: North Korea Out To Deal With The United States
- Definition, Meaning And Sentence Use Of Cowed
- Nigeria: Gang-related Feud Claims Lives In Ozubulu Church Gun Attack
- Paul Kagame’s Third Term: Four Things Rwandans Can Expect
- GhanaSat-1: Ghana’s First Satellite Now Orbiting The Earth
- Tumeric: What To Know About The Spice And Its Health Benefits