Guam Threat– Once again North Korea targets a United States territory, in the western Pacific Ocean. Guam has a population of 162,742 people who are American natives.
As a result, the Governor of Guam, Eddie Calvo in a video response has considered this to be yet another threat to the United States. He also assures the people that while there have been no other threats from NK, the Guam’s military defense is equal to the task.
“I also want to remind national media that Guam is American soil and we have 200,000 Americans in Guam and the Marianas. We are not just a military installation.”
“They’ve slowly developed their capabilities but we stand in high confidence with the US (Defense Department’s) ability to not only defend Guam and the surrounding areas but also the continental US… There are several layers of ballistic missile defense.”
The Guam threat is a reaction from Pyongyang in revolt of the joint drill of Japan and the US on the Korean peninsula. It may also be a follow up to their threats to “retaliate” after the UN sanctions.
With no success in bringing North Korea to consider diplomacy in its rift with South Korea and the United States, UN has urged countries to help enforce the sanctions.
See Also: UN Sanctions: North Korea Out To Deal With The United States
Publicly accepting the call of the UN was China which is North Korea’s largest trading partner. The sanctions will shake the North Korean economy by giving it a $1 billion deficit; limited banking investments and restriction of North Korean labor in diaspora.
After accepting to comply with the UN, China also mentioned that they would be bearing the most brunt of the sanctions.
North Korea which seems to be standing alone at this time says it will not budge. Rather, the government has reiterated its threats of attacking the United States.
According to the Asian country’s state media agency, KCNA, North Korean military force is “examining the operational plan” to attack Guam surroundings with ballistic missiles.
“The KPA strategic force is now carefully examining the operational plan for making an enveloping fire at the areas around Guam with medium- to long-range strategic ballistic rocket Hwasong-12 in order to contain the US major military bases on Guam, including the Anderson airforce base,”
See Also: Hwasong-14 Missile: Pyongyang Sends America An Independence Day Gift
It says the idea is “to send a serious warning signal to the US.” Guam is currently home to a US airbase, a submarine squadron, and a coastguard group.
Andersen Air Force Base is about 3, 400 km (2,100 miles) away from North Korea.
In response to the Guam threat, military spokesman Johnny Michael said:
“We always maintain a high state of readiness and have the capabilities to counter any threat, to include those from North Korea,”
Guam became a US territory during the Spanish–American War in 1898. It is one of the seventeen Non-Self-Governing Territories of the United Nations
Japan who is also at risk of preemptive strikes from North Korea says all options are on the table. Together with the US, the nation conducted air drills which North Korea has considered an actual provocation of war.
Following that, the president of the United States, Donald Trump had this to say:
“North Korea best not make any more threats to the United States. They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Nigeria Coat of Arm: Fast Facts About The Special Symbol
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?