One of Africa’s most anticipates races at the IAAF race was abruptly denied fans of the Botswanan Isaac Makwala.
The IAAF denied the runner entry into the London Stadium because according to their health examinations, he seemed to have a contagious gastrointestinal disease.
The African power runner had reportedly been vomiting consistently the day before the scheduled race. Isaac is believed to have the norovirus.
Norovirus is the most common cause of viral gastroenteritis in humans.
The highly contagious infection is gotten from contaminated food, water, surfaces and contacts with infected persons. Its symptoms include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain or cramps, diarrhea, fever and muscle pain.
Consequently, 30-year old Isaac Makwala failed to participate in Tuesday’s 400m finals. Fans considered him a threat to Wayde van Niekerk who clinched his 2nd world championship in the said race.
In defense of their decision IAAF said they acted under instructions to quarantine athletes who showed symptoms of the virus.
“The team doctor, team leader and team physio had been informed following the medical examination that the athlete should be quarantined for 48 hours and would therefore be missing the 400m final on Tuesday.”
See Also: Caster Semenya: IAAF Thought She Would Be A Natural Cheat… Now The Story Is Different
Pam Venning, head of medical at the IAAF, says it was needful that the infected persons were kept away from the crowd to avoid further break out of the virus.
Isaac Makwala first registered his anger for not being pre-informed before being embarrassed by a security official at the stadium. He also wanted to know if the likes of Mo Farah or Usain Bolt would be subjected to the sane fate if they were in his shoes.
While the IAAF has insisted they had communicated with the Botswana delegation that Makwala will not be competing, Olympic boss, Falcon Sedimo countered it.
“There has been no official communication, no formal communication from the IAAF at all. We found out from the media that he could not take part and he is heartbroken.”
Botswana medical team member Simon O’Brien insinuated the Isaac was being victimized by the IAAF. He also insists that there was nothing wrong with Isaac during the time they were together.
See Also: This Is Where The US Basketball Team Chose To Lodge For The Olympics [Photos]
“He’s fit, he’s very well, he’s prepared to run, and he’s just being kept away by the IAAF,”
London reports confirm that about 30 athletes and team members at the world athletics championships, lodged at the Tower Hotel were infected with the norovirus.
Public Health England and IAAF probed into the virus outbreak and concluded that the virus did not come from the hotel.
Extending his sympathy towards the star, the 2 time world champ, Wayde van Niekerk said:
“I would love him to have his fair opportunity. I believe he would have done very very well. I’ve got so much sympathy. I really wish I could give him my medal.”
Many observers have said that while the health of the athletes is a priority, IAAF would have communicated early enough with the barred athlete.
After much criticisms, IAAF has given the green-light for the Botswanan runner to run for the 200m category. Meanwhile, Isaac has completed the stipulated 48 hour isolation period to prevent the spread of the business.
According to the IAAF statement:
“Given his quarantine period expired at 14:00hrs (1300GMT) today (9 Aug) and following a medical examination which has declared him fit to compete, we have agreed under our existing rules that assuming he makes the qualification time, he will run in the 200m semi-final round this evening,”
“Makwala is required to run a time of 20.53 or faster to advance to the semi-finals.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Kenya Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism Of Its Elements
- Senegalese Music: The Women And Men Dominating The Scene
- Jacaranda Tree: What You Need To Know About This Beauty
- How To Dab: Dance Origin And Why Everyone Is Doing It
- Make A Stressful Time Bearable By Doing These
- Nnedi Okoroafor Is Taking Lagos, Nigeria To The Comic World
- Anonymous Logo: What The Hactivists Want You To Know About Them
- Ethiopian Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism
- Using Poop To Cook In Kenya
- Mr Popo: Everything About The Strongest Character in Dragon Ball Z
- Sierra Leone: Over 300 People Killed In Mudslide
- Burkina Faso: Gunmen Attack Ouagadougou Restaurant, killing 18
- New Study: Top 5 Things That Can Give You Cancer
- Porous Definition, Meaning, Synonyms And Sentence Use
- Bitcoin Surge: All The Possible Reasons Why The Cryptocurrency Has Broken Past $4000
- Kenya Elects First Female Governors Amidst Post-election Tension
- New Study: Vitamin B3 Intake Could Prevent Miscarriages & Birth Defects
- How Tall Is Putin And Other Facts About The Russian President
- Time In Nigeria: The Concept Of Nigerian Time
- Election Time In Kenya: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- Isaac Makwala: Runner Denied Entry To London Stadium And Africa Wants To Know Why
- Kimlan Jinakul: Thaliland Grandma Achieves Her Academic Dream @ 91
- Facebook And Chill! Five Reasons We Are Excited That Facebook Is Going Into The TV Game
- Natalie Becker: The Rise Of The South African Actress
- The Real Cost Of An Electric Car
- Guam Threat: North Korea Aims To Strike The US Military Installation
- Zuma’s Latest No-Confidence Vote: The Real Winners And Losers
- Kenya Election Day: Opposition Says The Election Was Hacked In The President’s Favor
- Fasten Your Loan Request At Equity Bank Kenya With These Tips
- Hiroshima & Nagasaki: 6 Quick Facts About The Historical Tragedies
- Can Men Really Lactate?
- India: The Medical Dilemma Of A 10-Year Old Pregnant Rape Victim
- Popular Slogans You Should Get To Know In Kenya’s Elections
- Kenyan Elections: Barack Obama Warns Leaders Not To Compromise On Peace
- UN Sanctions: North Korea Out To Deal With The United States
- Definition, Meaning And Sentence Use Of Cowed
- Nigeria: Gang-related Feud Claims Lives In Ozubulu Church Gun Attack
- Paul Kagame’s Third Term: Four Things Rwandans Can Expect
- GhanaSat-1: Ghana’s First Satellite Now Orbiting The Earth
- Tumeric: What To Know About The Spice And Its Health Benefits