One of Africa’s most anticipates races at the IAAF race was abruptly denied fans of the Botswanan Isaac Makwala.
The IAAF denied the runner entry into the London Stadium because according to their health examinations, he seemed to have a contagious gastrointestinal disease.
The African power runner had reportedly been vomiting consistently the day before the scheduled race. Isaac is believed to have the norovirus.
Norovirus is the most common cause of viral gastroenteritis in humans.
The highly contagious infection is gotten from contaminated food, water, surfaces and contacts with infected persons. Its symptoms include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain or cramps, diarrhea, fever and muscle pain.
Consequently, 30-year old Isaac Makwala failed to participate in Tuesday’s 400m finals. Fans considered him a threat to Wayde van Niekerk who clinched his 2nd world championship in the said race.
In defense of their decision IAAF said they acted under instructions to quarantine athletes who showed symptoms of the virus.
“The team doctor, team leader and team physio had been informed following the medical examination that the athlete should be quarantined for 48 hours and would therefore be missing the 400m final on Tuesday.”
See Also: Caster Semenya: IAAF Thought She Would Be A Natural Cheat… Now The Story Is Different
Pam Venning, head of medical at the IAAF, says it was needful that the infected persons were kept away from the crowd to avoid further break out of the virus.
Isaac Makwala first registered his anger for not being pre-informed before being embarrassed by a security official at the stadium. He also wanted to know if the likes of Mo Farah or Usain Bolt would be subjected to the sane fate if they were in his shoes.
While the IAAF has insisted they had communicated with the Botswana delegation that Makwala will not be competing, Olympic boss, Falcon Sedimo countered it.
“There has been no official communication, no formal communication from the IAAF at all. We found out from the media that he could not take part and he is heartbroken.”
Botswana medical team member Simon O’Brien insinuated the Isaac was being victimized by the IAAF. He also insists that there was nothing wrong with Isaac during the time they were together.
See Also: This Is Where The US Basketball Team Chose To Lodge For The Olympics [Photos]
“He’s fit, he’s very well, he’s prepared to run, and he’s just being kept away by the IAAF,”
London reports confirm that about 30 athletes and team members at the world athletics championships, lodged at the Tower Hotel were infected with the norovirus.
Public Health England and IAAF probed into the virus outbreak and concluded that the virus did not come from the hotel.
Extending his sympathy towards the star, the 2 time world champ, Wayde van Niekerk said:
“I would love him to have his fair opportunity. I believe he would have done very very well. I’ve got so much sympathy. I really wish I could give him my medal.”
Many observers have said that while the health of the athletes is a priority, IAAF would have communicated early enough with the barred athlete.
After much criticisms, IAAF has given the green-light for the Botswanan runner to run for the 200m category. Meanwhile, Isaac has completed the stipulated 48 hour isolation period to prevent the spread of the business.
According to the IAAF statement:
“Given his quarantine period expired at 14:00hrs (1300GMT) today (9 Aug) and following a medical examination which has declared him fit to compete, we have agreed under our existing rules that assuming he makes the qualification time, he will run in the 200m semi-final round this evening,”
“Makwala is required to run a time of 20.53 or faster to advance to the semi-finals.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Nigeria Coat of Arm: Fast Facts About The Special Symbol
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?