Serial Spain Terrorist Attacks– Brutal attacks have been launched in Spain in less than 24 hours. The attacks were launched in 3 different locations.
The Spanish police nearly foiled the second attack with a prompt and competent response to the incident. It is clear that the attacks were terror acts from radical Islamic militants.
ISIS has claimed the attacks while hailing the attackers. According to the jihadist organisation’s propaganda outlet Amaq,
“The executors of the Barcelona attack were soldiers of the Islamic State,”
At least 3 other suspects have been arrested; while 5 have been killed.
So far Citizens of 24 countries have been found to be among those killed and injured in Barcelona.
The country’s Prime Minister and several other world leaders have registered their dismay and condemned the attack.
Noting that the attacks were a message from ISIS to the country for its joint stand with the US against terrorism, the Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said:
“Today the fight against terrorism is the principal priority for free and open societies like ours. It is a global threat and the response has to be global,”
See Also: Sierra Leone: Over 300 People Killed In Mudslide
The attack took place in Las Ramblas, a popular tourist spot in Barcelona.
Witnesses reported that a van rammed into a crowd at the tourist spot, causing panic and people fleeing for their lives. After the attack, 13 people have been confirmed dead and over 100 injured. The terrorist driver swerved all over, hitting people on every side.
A picture of the man identified as Driss Oukabir, who supposedly rented the white van have been released; but the suspect who willing handed himself in says that his identity was dubiously used for the crime.
Spanish investigators suggest that if what Driss Oukabir’s claim was anything to go by, then his 18-year old brother Moussa, was involved in the attack and perhaps used his brother’s name.
Driss Oukabir says he was at a different location at the time of the incident. He is a 28-year-old Moroccan.
One other suspect, a Spaniard has also been arrested following the Barcelona Van attack.
2 months ago the CIA warned that Las Ramblas was a potential target for terror attacks.
See Also: Burkina Faso: Gunmen Attack Ouagadougou Restaurant, killing 18
Hours after the Barcelona attack, the Spanish police foiled what would be a second attack in Cambrils.
5 terrorists were killed as they rammed an Audi A3 into pedestrians in a Spanish seaside town. They were found to be wearing fake suicide belts.
The Spanish region’s head Carles Puigdemont confirmed it to radio station RAC1, that the explosive belts were duds.
7 people, including a police officer, were reportedly injured in the Cambrils vehicle attack.
The attack took place in the early hours of Friday morning, about 70 miles away from Barcelona.
Residents complied with the authorities by remaining indoors and staying way from the danger-prone areas.
Alcanar Building Explosion
Adding to the couple of attacks, a third one occurred in Alcanar town where a building exploded. Spanish forces and investigators believe that the 3 attacks especially the Barcelona and Cambrils attacks were connected.
The series of attacks have become the deadliest on Spanish soil since the 2004 Madrid train bombs that killed over 190 people.
Further investigations are being carried out by the Spanish forces. It is a likelihood that the death toll may increase in time. Some persons are considered missing at the moment.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me