Serial Spain Terrorist Attacks– Brutal attacks have been launched in Spain in less than 24 hours. The attacks were launched in 3 different locations.
The Spanish police nearly foiled the second attack with a prompt and competent response to the incident. It is clear that the attacks were terror acts from radical Islamic militants.
ISIS has claimed the attacks while hailing the attackers. According to the jihadist organisation’s propaganda outlet Amaq,
“The executors of the Barcelona attack were soldiers of the Islamic State,”
At least 3 other suspects have been arrested; while 5 have been killed.
So far Citizens of 24 countries have been found to be among those killed and injured in Barcelona.
The country’s Prime Minister and several other world leaders have registered their dismay and condemned the attack.
Noting that the attacks were a message from ISIS to the country for its joint stand with the US against terrorism, the Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said:
“Today the fight against terrorism is the principal priority for free and open societies like ours. It is a global threat and the response has to be global,”
See Also: Sierra Leone: Over 300 People Killed In Mudslide
The attack took place in Las Ramblas, a popular tourist spot in Barcelona.
Witnesses reported that a van rammed into a crowd at the tourist spot, causing panic and people fleeing for their lives. After the attack, 13 people have been confirmed dead and over 100 injured. The terrorist driver swerved all over, hitting people on every side.
A picture of the man identified as Driss Oukabir, who supposedly rented the white van have been released; but the suspect who willing handed himself in says that his identity was dubiously used for the crime.
Spanish investigators suggest that if what Driss Oukabir’s claim was anything to go by, then his 18-year old brother Moussa, was involved in the attack and perhaps used his brother’s name.
Driss Oukabir says he was at a different location at the time of the incident. He is a 28-year-old Moroccan.
One other suspect, a Spaniard has also been arrested following the Barcelona Van attack.
2 months ago the CIA warned that Las Ramblas was a potential target for terror attacks.
See Also: Burkina Faso: Gunmen Attack Ouagadougou Restaurant, killing 18
Hours after the Barcelona attack, the Spanish police foiled what would be a second attack in Cambrils.
5 terrorists were killed as they rammed an Audi A3 into pedestrians in a Spanish seaside town. They were found to be wearing fake suicide belts.
The Spanish region’s head Carles Puigdemont confirmed it to radio station RAC1, that the explosive belts were duds.
7 people, including a police officer, were reportedly injured in the Cambrils vehicle attack.
The attack took place in the early hours of Friday morning, about 70 miles away from Barcelona.
Residents complied with the authorities by remaining indoors and staying way from the danger-prone areas.
Alcanar Building Explosion
Adding to the couple of attacks, a third one occurred in Alcanar town where a building exploded. Spanish forces and investigators believe that the 3 attacks especially the Barcelona and Cambrils attacks were connected.
The series of attacks have become the deadliest on Spanish soil since the 2004 Madrid train bombs that killed over 190 people.
Further investigations are being carried out by the Spanish forces. It is a likelihood that the death toll may increase in time. Some persons are considered missing at the moment.
Latest Nigeria News
- 10 Interesting Ways To Develop A Good Reading Habit
- 15 Insightful Quotes About Depression
- Michelle Jones: The Stigma Of Having A Criminal Record
- Allparts: Supplier Of Guitar, Bass And Amp Parts
- 2017 International Peace Day: Togetherness, Respect, Safety And Dignity For All
- Virsaviya Borun: The Girl Who Practically Giggles Her Heart Out
- These Quotes Will Take You To The Other Side Of Madness
- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Tells The World Goodbye At The UN General Assembly
- Nannies And Mental Health: Zambian Lady Faces Attempted Murder Charge
- Buhari’s UN Speech: 5 Things He Said That Nigerians Wish He Practiced
- Violet Brown: World’s Verifiable Oldest Living Person Dies At 117
- Hilary Clinton Thinks A US Firm Had A Hand In Kenya’s Annulled Election
- Muslim Women In Tunisia Now Free To Marry Non-Muslims
- Over 80 South African Military Vehicles Destroyed By Fire – Lessons To Learn
- 10 Powerful Quotes From C. O Ojukwu About Biafra And Revolution
- Mugabe Forever: Zim Airport To Join Long List Of Things Named After The President
- Does IPOB Qualify For A Terrorist Group? Military Denies Initial Statement
- Amina Yuguda: Quick Facts About Nigeria’s BBC’s Komla Dumor Award Winner
- Obama Has Been Busy Making Money- Check Out His Current Net Worth
- Zannah Mustapha: Why This Barrister Won The Nansen Refugee Award
- 2017 Emmy Winners: Check Out The Awesome TV Shows You Should Be Watching
- The Best Power Tower Machines In The Market
- Nigeria Soon To Become Home Of Africa’s Fastest Trains
- Top 10 Basic Leadership Qualities You Need To Know
- Nigerian Military-IPOB Crisis: A Question Of Leadership
- Hillary Clinton Speaks Up With ‘What Happened’: 5 Things She Has Said
- Halimah Yacob: Quick Facts Of Singapore’s First Ever Female President
- UN To Probe 11 African Countries Over Ties To North Korea
- Susan Okalany: The Ugandan Judge Who Won The Prosecutor Of The Year Award
- Maya Angelou Quotes That Will Re-shape Your Life For The Better
- Real Leaders Are Not Sectional – Ezekwesili Condemns Buhari’s Tribal Sentiments
- Aims And Policies Of The UCU – University And College Union
- President Zuma Claims He Is Like Steve Biko
- Top 5 Reasons Why School Lunch In Africa Is The Way
- Kenya’s October Election: Another $117 Million To Be spent
- JP Morgan’s CEO Says Bitcoin Is A Fraud
- The Infamous Operation Python Dance May Trigger A Repeat Of The Civil War
- The iPhone 8 Is Almost Here, 5 Things You Should Know
- Between Fatness And Fitness Is A Very Wide Margin
- Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Reacts To The Military-IPOB Clash