SA’s Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa’s sex scandal has certainly made for some scintillating discussion on the character of the man who is also hoping to take over from President Jacob Zuma come 2019 but will it do much more than that?make for some scandalous discussions
On September 3, SA’s Sunday Independent newspaper broke the story on Ramphosa’s sex scandal writing that “Deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa, whose presidential campaign is modeled on moral and ethical leadership, appears not to practice what he preaches,” the article painted Ramaphosa in the colors of what is known as a “blesser” in South Africa and a sugar daddy in broader circles.
See Also: Malema’s Degree: Education As Key To Emancipation Of Black Natives
Ramaphosa had tried to get a court bib to gag the newspaper the day before the story was published but when that failed he offered an exclusive to a rival Sunday paper in which he admitted to one extra-marital affair eight years ago.
On September 6, he told his colleagues in parliament on Sep. 6 that he would be accountable and make a full statement in a few days. He continues to maintain that the scandal was part of a plot that used state security resources to create a dossier of transgressions to derail his political ascent.
Ramaphosa’s sex scandal became a topic of discussion with just weeks left to the African National Congress’ elective congress. The deputy President happens to be one of the hopefuls for the party’s leadership and should he indeed win, it is practically a shoe in to the Presidency when President Jacob Zuma finally leaves.
South Africa like most African countries can be deemed conservative and the country certainly seems to place a high premium on families but does that in any way make Ramaphosa’s sex scandal a big deal? SA’s Sunday Independent newspaper claim that it is by justifying their publication of the story morally.
Cyril Ramaphosa is the head of the South African National Aids Council and has in the past spoken out against “blessers,” saying that they were responsible for spreading HIV in the country. There is also the fact that the newspaper described some of the eight women Ramaphosa “preyed” on with his “massive wealth” as “emotionally battered” and in need of cash.
All of that makes for the exciting story that is Ramaphosa’s sex scandal but there is little fear that it could damage Ramaphosa’s political career in anyway. Here are a three reasons that may be;
Ramaphosa will not be the first South African political figure to be embroiled in a sex scandal and all the others have gotten away with it. President Jacob Zuma is a ready example. In 2007, President Zuma was accused of rape. The woman who was dubbed Khwezi (now late) was attacked by the party’s women’s league and eventually hounded out of the country after he was acquitted.
See Also: Joao Lourenco: All You Need To know About Angola’s New President
More recently, in May, when minister in the presidency Jeff Radebe was caught demanding nude pictures from a staff member at the Union Buildings, all he had to do was to apologize and after a brief bout of social media aggression, all was forgiven.
Cyril Ramaphosa and his affair or affairs will probably fizzle out in the same way.
The party politics in South Africa has even gotten more heated and everyone is being forced to take clear sides. For that reason, prominent South Africans will probably be forced to come out in defense of the perpetrator and in doing so, blame the victim.
The Good Wife
Although Ramaphosa admitted to having had an affair with his doctor eight years ago, he said that he had resolved this with his wife. Tshepo Motsepe, a medical doctor, has expressed unequivocal support for her husband. She said; “It is very sad what is happening. It’s disappointing that people have to go to such lengths to discredit a person. I am very, very upset about it. We have been together a long time and are happily married,”
Latest Nigeria News
- Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Cut Down On Sugar
- Mugabe’s Resignation: Five Worst Moments From His 37 Years Of Leadership
- EatOut 2017: These Are The Top 10 Coolest Restaurants In SA Right Now
- African Leadership 2017: The Breaking Of 3 African Strong Men
- Zimbabwe’s Economy: Five Ways To Revive What Mugabe Killed
- Silverbird Cinema: Locations And Best Ways To Enjoy Yourself
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident