NISLT is the Nigerian Institute of Science Laboratory Technology. The idea for the institution was proposed in July 1971 by the then Federal Commissioner of Education late Mr. A. Y. Eke.
The forerunner of the current Institute was known as the Nigerian. Institute of Science Technology (NIST), it was inaugurated in Ibadan on 25th of March, 1972. it would go on to earn for itself great recognition among science technologists working in various laboratories of tertiary educational institutions, research centers, health, industries, petrochemicals, agriculture, and telecommunications.
See Also: World-class IT Pros Trained in Ukraine
In 2003, the Act of the National Assembly established the Institute and by the act (as contained in the Federal Republic of Nigeria Official Gazette No. 47 of 23rd July 2003 volume 90 pages 199-220) the former Institute was transformed into NISLT. The Council of the new Institute was inaugurated on the 27th May 2004 by the Honourable Minister of Science and Technology.
NISLT Vision And Mission
The goal of NISLT is pretty simple as can be seen by their vision and mission statements. Their vision is to cause rapid development of the nation through science laboratory technology. The mission, however, is more concise;
- To advance Science Laboratory Technology profession in Nigeria.
- To maintain high ethical standards in science laboratory technology practice.
- To manage efficiently and effectively science laboratories in the context of the National Science Technology and Innovation System.
Functions of NISLT
Functions of NISLT are contained in Act 12 of 26th June 2003, published in the official gazette of the Federal Republic of Nigeria No. 47 volume 90 of 23rd July 2003. They include;
- Advancing science laboratory technology profession in Nigeria
- Determining the standard of knowledge, exposure to equipment, practicals, and skills, to be attained by person seeking to become registered members of the profession and reviewing those standards, from time to time, as circumstances may require
- Promoting the highest standards of competence, practice, and conduct among the members of the profession
- Securing in accordance with the provisions of the Act, the establishment, and maintenance of a register of members of the profession and the publication from time to time of the lists of those persons
- Serving as an agency to secure, safeguard and advance the professional knowledge, standing, efficiency, and interests of science laboratory technologists through the Council
- Conducting examinations and granting certificates and diplomas and advising on, assisting in examinations relating to science laboratory technology in Nigeria
- Conducting research in all the areas of science laboratory technology
- Serving as a certifying agency through its registered members
- Ensuring safety standards and necessary facilities in science laboratories and workshops in Nigeria
- Ensuring, through its registered members, effective and efficient management and administration of all science laboratories in Nigeria
- Arranging appropriate on-the-job training for members of the profession
- Conducting inspection of science laboratories in schools, post-secondary institutions, industries and research institutes in order to improve the professional standards
- Doing such things as may advance and promote the advancement of the profession in both the public and private sectors of the economy
In line with that mandate, the Institute carries out the following activities:
- Standardization of Science Laboratories for teaching, research, and services.
- Laboratory Personnel Capacity Building.
- Laboratory Administration and Management.
- Laboratory Equipment Management and Maintenance.
- Laboratory Inspection, Accreditation and Certification.
- Laboratory Building and Infrastructure Design.
- Laboratory Chemical and Reagents standardization and certification.
- Development of Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for Science Equipment and Procedures.
- Development of Science and Technology Education Teaching Aids.
- Researching into the production, standardization, and use of laboratory chemicals and reagents
- Maintaining contact with Overseas Science Equipment Manufacturers and also maintain a database of such.
- Operating and maintaining standard science laboratory practice for secondary school pupils training in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology
- Consultancies on science laboratory development, equipment procurement, projects and laboratory services
- Laboratory Equipment Design and Fabrication
Prior to the enactment of the law of the Institute in 2003, the NISLT could only source revenue from membership subscriptions and fees from examinations conducted by the Institute. In 2004, however, the Institute was formally admitted into the National Budget.
The NISLT has both corporate membership and non-corporate membership. To get the corporate membership, one has to be licensed to practice as a professional while people having ND or OND or any other qualification adjudged by Council to be the equivalent of these can be registered as non-corporate or ordinary members.
People can also be granted non-corporate membership on grounds of being qualified by their deeds and support to the Institute. In this case, they are confirmed with Honorary Fellow of the Institute.
See Also: Ifeoma White: Nigerian Gets Admission From 8 Ivy League Schools
Under the corporate membership, one can be registered as;
An Associate member: They would have completed a course of study in Science Laboratory Technology, holding either B.Sc./B.Tech or HND in Science Laboratory Technology awarded by an accredited Institutions of higher learning.
Fellowship grade member: Either by research or on the basis of experience, an associate member can be upgraded to fellowship grade.
How to Apply for Membership on NISLT
- Prospective members are required to make payment through one of the online payment channels available on the web portal and then fill the membership form online.
- The person will also be required to scan and upload a recent passport sized photograph, all his/her credentials including SSCE and name and address of three (3) referees with valid email addresses.
- One of the referees must be his HOD and another a Corporate Member of NISLT.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me