Kanu’s Home Invasion– As the working week rounded off on Friday, the Nigerian military force announced the launch of the second phase of the “Python Dance” in the South-east region.
The “Python Dance” is not a new language in Nigeria. It is a term that fosters anxiety and tension in the people. It can be described as a strong military presence used to counter and crudely address security threats.
According to the Nigerian army, it has been scheduled to last from Friday 15 September to Saturday 14 October 2017.
In an official statement signed on behalf of the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusufu Buratai, the essence of the exercise was in response to the “mindless assassinations (even in religious places), attack on security personnel, theft of weapons, armed banditry, kidnapping, cultism and violent agitations, as well as other security challenges” in the region.
It said that the operation was strictly for the interest and safety of the people; thus, urged people of the Southeastern states to remain calm as well as vigilant to report suspicious movements around them.
Pro-Biafrans and observers predicted that this was an attack in waiting under the guise of ensuring the security of the people as the yuletide season approaches.
See Also: Little Nnamdi Kanu Should Be Locked Up And Forgotten – Lauretta Onochie
Contrary to the presented reason, many saw the Friday announcement as yet another follow up to the call of Lauretta Onochie, a presidential aid to have Nnamdi Kanu locked up for flouting court order and his bail conditions.
Meanwhile, there were several calls to abort any plans of re-arresting the IPOB leader as the aftermath may be too chaotic for the nation.
2 days after the controversial statement, reports flocked the internet on an attack in the residence of the IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu.
Vanguard report says the attackers were dressed in army and police uniforms. They arrived Nnamdi Kanu’s residence in several Hilux Pick-up vans and opened fire on the people there.
IPOB Media and Publicity Secretary, Comrade Emma reported thus:
“We did not clash with anybody or group. The attackers wore Nigerian soldiers and Nigeria Police uniforms and came to kill our leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, in his compound at Afaraukwu, Umuahia and started shooting sporadically and killed five people and up to 30 other people had bullet wounds. After attacking our people, they drove off. They came in five Hilux vans.”
See Also: The Nigerian Civil War Never Really Ended – George Obiozor
The Nigerian army has retorted IPOB’s side of the story. According to the army, the story was fabricated.
In defense of what they have called a false accusation, they said:
“This is far from the truth. Rather, it was a group of suspected IPOB militants that blocked the road against troops of 145 Battalion while on show of force along FMC-World Bank Road in Umuahia town, Abia State at about 6.00-6.30pm, today (yesterday).”
“They insisted that the military vehicles would not pass and started pelting the soldiers with stones and broken bottles to the point of injuring an innocent female passerby and a soldier, Corporal Kolawole Mathew.”
“The troops fired warning shots in the air and the hoodlums dispersed. No life was lost.”
MASSOB has blatantly condemned the act by the Nigerian army. The Pro -Biafran body has queried why the purported security operation was not launched in the northeast as Igbo residents were massively attacked, raped and dehumanized.
Restructuring Nigeria seems to be a term Nigerian leaders have used more ceremoniously than practically. With every following occurrence in the ethnic turmoil, “One Nigeria” may as well be a farce.
It is feared that more conflicts between Biafra agitators and the federal government may escalate.
In the words of Eastern Consultative Assembly,
“We (ECA) are warning that if the Army did not fish out the culprits who shot at the residence of Nnamdi Kanu, it will be setting a motion for uncontrollable crisis that will overwhelm the country.”
South-east governors have registered their dismay at the incident.
Latest Nigeria News
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Albert Einstein’s Theory Of Happiness That More People Should Live By
- Two Budgeting Plans To Make Your Money Last
- Zimbabwe: 3 Key Things To Know About VP Mnangagwa’s Sack
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: 7 Interesting Facts Of The Actor Turned US Governor
- The Paradise Papers: All You Need To Know
- Sweating Blood: The Strange Medical Condition Known As Hematohidrosis
- Ghana Is The Highest Marijuana Using Country In Africa
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?