Kanu’s Home Invasion– As the working week rounded off on Friday, the Nigerian military force announced the launch of the second phase of the “Python Dance” in the South-east region.
The “Python Dance” is not a new language in Nigeria. It is a term that fosters anxiety and tension in the people. It can be described as a strong military presence used to counter and crudely address security threats.
According to the Nigerian army, it has been scheduled to last from Friday 15 September to Saturday 14 October 2017.
In an official statement signed on behalf of the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusufu Buratai, the essence of the exercise was in response to the “mindless assassinations (even in religious places), attack on security personnel, theft of weapons, armed banditry, kidnapping, cultism and violent agitations, as well as other security challenges” in the region.
It said that the operation was strictly for the interest and safety of the people; thus, urged people of the Southeastern states to remain calm as well as vigilant to report suspicious movements around them.
Pro-Biafrans and observers predicted that this was an attack in waiting under the guise of ensuring the security of the people as the yuletide season approaches.
See Also: Little Nnamdi Kanu Should Be Locked Up And Forgotten – Lauretta Onochie
Contrary to the presented reason, many saw the Friday announcement as yet another follow up to the call of Lauretta Onochie, a presidential aid to have Nnamdi Kanu locked up for flouting court order and his bail conditions.
Meanwhile, there were several calls to abort any plans of re-arresting the IPOB leader as the aftermath may be too chaotic for the nation.
2 days after the controversial statement, reports flocked the internet on an attack in the residence of the IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu.
Vanguard report says the attackers were dressed in army and police uniforms. They arrived Nnamdi Kanu’s residence in several Hilux Pick-up vans and opened fire on the people there.
IPOB Media and Publicity Secretary, Comrade Emma reported thus:
“We did not clash with anybody or group. The attackers wore Nigerian soldiers and Nigeria Police uniforms and came to kill our leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, in his compound at Afaraukwu, Umuahia and started shooting sporadically and killed five people and up to 30 other people had bullet wounds. After attacking our people, they drove off. They came in five Hilux vans.”
See Also: The Nigerian Civil War Never Really Ended – George Obiozor
The Nigerian army has retorted IPOB’s side of the story. According to the army, the story was fabricated.
In defense of what they have called a false accusation, they said:
“This is far from the truth. Rather, it was a group of suspected IPOB militants that blocked the road against troops of 145 Battalion while on show of force along FMC-World Bank Road in Umuahia town, Abia State at about 6.00-6.30pm, today (yesterday).”
“They insisted that the military vehicles would not pass and started pelting the soldiers with stones and broken bottles to the point of injuring an innocent female passerby and a soldier, Corporal Kolawole Mathew.”
“The troops fired warning shots in the air and the hoodlums dispersed. No life was lost.”
MASSOB has blatantly condemned the act by the Nigerian army. The Pro -Biafran body has queried why the purported security operation was not launched in the northeast as Igbo residents were massively attacked, raped and dehumanized.
Restructuring Nigeria seems to be a term Nigerian leaders have used more ceremoniously than practically. With every following occurrence in the ethnic turmoil, “One Nigeria” may as well be a farce.
It is feared that more conflicts between Biafra agitators and the federal government may escalate.
In the words of Eastern Consultative Assembly,
“We (ECA) are warning that if the Army did not fish out the culprits who shot at the residence of Nnamdi Kanu, it will be setting a motion for uncontrollable crisis that will overwhelm the country.”
South-east governors have registered their dismay at the incident.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me