A whole lot of people have been bothered by the activities of North Korea as the country has continued stubbornly to launch missile after missile in a quest to become a nuclear world power. North Korea’s new sanctions are the product of a lot of what now amounts to six nuclear device detonations and a number of missile launches.
Sanctions as a way to curb the activities of Kim Jong-un have been a discussion in political circles for a while. In fact, the Trump administration demanded rather strict penalties just a few days ago ahead of the United Nations Security Council meeting on Monday.
See Also: Ethnic Cleansing: The Rohingyas As Myanmar’s Endangered Species
Although North Korea’s new sanctions from the United Nations Security Council meeting fell far short of the stricter measures proposed by President Trump’s administration, they are still pretty strict.
Washington and other capitals described the new sanctions as the most extensive sanctions yet but it is left to see whether they will be enough to stop Kim Jong-un and achieve the Trump administration goal which is “To force North Korea to halt its nuclear and ballistic missile tests and reopen some kind of negotiation toward eventual nuclear disarmament.”
The resolution of the sanctions won backing from all 15 council members although Russia and China objected to the original language calling for an oil embargo and other severe penalties. In fact, the two countries may have been the reason for the reduced measures.
North Korea’s New Sanctions
- The resolution will result in a 30% decrease in total oil imports by cutting off over 55% of refined petroleum products going to North Korea
- The resolution also bans the export of all textiles. The North Korean regime earned $760 million through those sales in 2016– making it the largest economic sector that UN Security Council had not yet touched.
- There are also new measures to prevent overseas workers from earning wages that finance the North Korean regime. It says that countries should not provide work authorization papers unless necessary for humanitarian assistance or denuclearization.
- Foreign investments, technology transfers, and other economic cooperation have been cut off
- Countries around the world will inspect ships going in and out of North Korea’s ports which limit North Korea’s ability to smuggle products like coal and iron, particularly on the high seas.
See Also: Facebook Discovery Strengthens Accusation That Russia Meddled In US 2016 Elections
Although the resolution does not impose a travel ban or asset freeze on Kim Jong-un as the original American draft had set out, US ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley said following the vote on Monday that “These are by far the strongest measures ever imposed on North Korea, they give us a much better chance to halt the regime’s ability to fuel and finance its nuclear and missile programs, but we all know these steps only work if all nations implement them completely and aggressively.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Cut Down On Sugar
- Mugabe’s Resignation: Five Worst Moments From His 37 Years Of Leadership
- EatOut 2017: These Are The Top 10 Coolest Restaurants In SA Right Now
- African Leadership 2017: The Breaking Of 3 African Strong Men
- Zimbabwe’s Economy: Five Ways To Revive What Mugabe Killed
- Silverbird Cinema: Locations And Best Ways To Enjoy Yourself
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident