Fatness-Fitness Debate– To some, fitness is not determined by body weight. In reality there are some incredibly fat people who are way more flexible than those we believe are of the perfect healthy weight.
A typical example is TLC reality star and dancer, Whitney Way Thore. Regardless of her weight, the thrilling dancer is making a successful career in dancing.
With the likes of Whitney, we may be tempted to okay the notion that it is not all about the weight but the fitness.
Fitness is readily defined as the state of being healthy and physically sound. So once fitness is mentioned the physical picture comes to mind. Perhaps why significantly people are instantly considered as unfit as it concerns physical exercises.
According to Mayo Clinic, Fitness is determined by the measure of excellence in these 4 areas- aerobic fitness, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition.
The fatness and fitness debate have lingered for a long time. While some come from the angle of inclusiveness and the other from the traditional physical fitness point of view, health experts maintain that fatness especially in cases of obesity is still a leading health and fitness threat.
Researchers at University of Birmingham’s Institute of Applied Health Research observed the public health records of 3.5 million Brits over a 20-year period.
See Also: Caleb Mutombo: Everything You Need To Know About The Congolese Bodybuilder
The study compared weight and metabolic status to the risk of cardiovascular disease. The med reports understudy were grouped under the metabolically healthy and the metabolically healthy obese. The latter are those who are obese but not suffer from conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
As published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, it was found that those under the metabolically healthy obese category when compared to people who are of a “normal” weight had an increased risk of cardiovascular disease.
“Three metabolic abnormalities were taken into consideration during the study — diabetes, hypertension [high blood pressure] and hyperlipidaemia [high cholesterol]. A metabolically healthy person was classified as having no metabolic abnormalities.”
The metabolically healthy obese category had a 49% higher risk of having developed heart disease; a 7% higher risk of having had a stroke, and a 96% higher risk of having suffered heart failure.
See Also: Top 10 Health Benefits Of Dancing You Never Knew
Lead author and epidemiologist Dr Rishi Caleyachetty, from the University of Birmingham said:
“Obese individuals with no metabolic risk factors are still at a higher risk of coronary heart disease, cerebrovascular disease and heart failure than normal weight metabolically healthy individuals.”
“So-called ‘metabolically healthy’ obesity is clearly not a harmless condition and the term should no longer be used in order to prevent misleading individuals that obesity can be healthy.”
Several studies have suggested that unfit individuals had twice the risk of mortality regardless of BMI. The recent research proves it to be true.
In other words, a person may actually be obese, healthy and physically fit; but still faces the risk of a health threat. Consequently it is advised to still lose some weight regardless of the fat and fit status.
While staying physically active is already a good step; a healthy eating habit can boost the entire process.
The are other common ways fatness affects fitness:
1. Limits Physical Activities
Obesity makes certain movements and exercises difficult to do. The body size restricts mobility and causes joint pain.
2. Reduces Speed
Physiologically, it is more difficult for an obese person to perform a particular exercise routine at the same rate with a healthy weight person.
3. Requires More Oxygen
Fat persons require more oxygen to do the same exercise with someone of a healthy weight.
Latest Nigeria News
- 10 Interesting Ways To Develop A Good Reading Habit
- 15 Insightful Quotes About Depression
- Michelle Jones: The Stigma Of Having A Criminal Record
- Allparts: Supplier Of Guitar, Bass And Amp Parts
- 2017 International Peace Day: Togetherness, Respect, Safety And Dignity For All
- Virsaviya Borun: The Girl Who Practically Giggles Her Heart Out
- These Quotes Will Take You To The Other Side Of Madness
- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Tells The World Goodbye At The UN General Assembly
- Nannies And Mental Health: Zambian Lady Faces Attempted Murder Charge
- Buhari’s UN Speech: 5 Things He Said That Nigerians Wish He Practiced
- Violet Brown: World’s Verifiable Oldest Living Person Dies At 117
- Hilary Clinton Thinks A US Firm Had A Hand In Kenya’s Annulled Election
- Muslim Women In Tunisia Now Free To Marry Non-Muslims
- Over 80 South African Military Vehicles Destroyed By Fire – Lessons To Learn
- 10 Powerful Quotes From C. O Ojukwu About Biafra And Revolution
- Mugabe Forever: Zim Airport To Join Long List Of Things Named After The President
- Does IPOB Qualify For A Terrorist Group? Military Denies Initial Statement
- Amina Yuguda: Quick Facts About Nigeria’s BBC’s Komla Dumor Award Winner
- Obama Has Been Busy Making Money- Check Out His Current Net Worth
- Zannah Mustapha: Why This Barrister Won The Nansen Refugee Award
- 2017 Emmy Winners: Check Out The Awesome TV Shows You Should Be Watching
- The Best Power Tower Machines In The Market
- Nigeria Soon To Become Home Of Africa’s Fastest Trains
- Top 10 Basic Leadership Qualities You Need To Know
- Nigerian Military-IPOB Crisis: A Question Of Leadership
- Hillary Clinton Speaks Up With ‘What Happened’: 5 Things She Has Said
- Halimah Yacob: Quick Facts Of Singapore’s First Ever Female President
- UN To Probe 11 African Countries Over Ties To North Korea
- Susan Okalany: The Ugandan Judge Who Won The Prosecutor Of The Year Award
- Maya Angelou Quotes That Will Re-shape Your Life For The Better
- Real Leaders Are Not Sectional – Ezekwesili Condemns Buhari’s Tribal Sentiments
- Aims And Policies Of The UCU – University And College Union
- President Zuma Claims He Is Like Steve Biko
- Top 5 Reasons Why School Lunch In Africa Is The Way
- Kenya’s October Election: Another $117 Million To Be spent
- JP Morgan’s CEO Says Bitcoin Is A Fraud
- The Infamous Operation Python Dance May Trigger A Repeat Of The Civil War
- The iPhone 8 Is Almost Here, 5 Things You Should Know
- Between Fatness And Fitness Is A Very Wide Margin
- Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Reacts To The Military-IPOB Clash