Fatness-Fitness Debate– To some, fitness is not determined by body weight. In reality there are some incredibly fat people who are way more flexible than those we believe are of the perfect healthy weight.
A typical example is TLC reality star and dancer, Whitney Way Thore. Regardless of her weight, the thrilling dancer is making a successful career in dancing.
With the likes of Whitney, we may be tempted to okay the notion that it is not all about the weight but the fitness.
Fitness is readily defined as the state of being healthy and physically sound. So once fitness is mentioned the physical picture comes to mind. Perhaps why significantly people are instantly considered as unfit as it concerns physical exercises.
According to Mayo Clinic, Fitness is determined by the measure of excellence in these 4 areas- aerobic fitness, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition.
The fatness and fitness debate have lingered for a long time. While some come from the angle of inclusiveness and the other from the traditional physical fitness point of view, health experts maintain that fatness especially in cases of obesity is still a leading health and fitness threat.
Researchers at University of Birmingham’s Institute of Applied Health Research observed the public health records of 3.5 million Brits over a 20-year period.
See Also: Caleb Mutombo: Everything You Need To Know About The Congolese Bodybuilder
The study compared weight and metabolic status to the risk of cardiovascular disease. The med reports understudy were grouped under the metabolically healthy and the metabolically healthy obese. The latter are those who are obese but not suffer from conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
As published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, it was found that those under the metabolically healthy obese category when compared to people who are of a “normal” weight had an increased risk of cardiovascular disease.
“Three metabolic abnormalities were taken into consideration during the study — diabetes, hypertension [high blood pressure] and hyperlipidaemia [high cholesterol]. A metabolically healthy person was classified as having no metabolic abnormalities.”
The metabolically healthy obese category had a 49% higher risk of having developed heart disease; a 7% higher risk of having had a stroke, and a 96% higher risk of having suffered heart failure.
See Also: Top 10 Health Benefits Of Dancing You Never Knew
Lead author and epidemiologist Dr Rishi Caleyachetty, from the University of Birmingham said:
“Obese individuals with no metabolic risk factors are still at a higher risk of coronary heart disease, cerebrovascular disease and heart failure than normal weight metabolically healthy individuals.”
“So-called ‘metabolically healthy’ obesity is clearly not a harmless condition and the term should no longer be used in order to prevent misleading individuals that obesity can be healthy.”
Several studies have suggested that unfit individuals had twice the risk of mortality regardless of BMI. The recent research proves it to be true.
In other words, a person may actually be obese, healthy and physically fit; but still faces the risk of a health threat. Consequently it is advised to still lose some weight regardless of the fat and fit status.
While staying physically active is already a good step; a healthy eating habit can boost the entire process.
The are other common ways fatness affects fitness:
1. Limits Physical Activities
Obesity makes certain movements and exercises difficult to do. The body size restricts mobility and causes joint pain.
2. Reduces Speed
Physiologically, it is more difficult for an obese person to perform a particular exercise routine at the same rate with a healthy weight person.
3. Requires More Oxygen
Fat persons require more oxygen to do the same exercise with someone of a healthy weight.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?