Fatness-Fitness Debate– To some, fitness is not determined by body weight. In reality there are some incredibly fat people who are way more flexible than those we believe are of the perfect healthy weight.
A typical example is TLC reality star and dancer, Whitney Way Thore. Regardless of her weight, the thrilling dancer is making a successful career in dancing.
With the likes of Whitney, we may be tempted to okay the notion that it is not all about the weight but the fitness.
Fitness is readily defined as the state of being healthy and physically sound. So once fitness is mentioned the physical picture comes to mind. Perhaps why significantly people are instantly considered as unfit as it concerns physical exercises.
According to Mayo Clinic, Fitness is determined by the measure of excellence in these 4 areas- aerobic fitness, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition.
The fatness and fitness debate have lingered for a long time. While some come from the angle of inclusiveness and the other from the traditional physical fitness point of view, health experts maintain that fatness especially in cases of obesity is still a leading health and fitness threat.
Researchers at University of Birmingham’s Institute of Applied Health Research observed the public health records of 3.5 million Brits over a 20-year period.
See Also: Caleb Mutombo: Everything You Need To Know About The Congolese Bodybuilder
The study compared weight and metabolic status to the risk of cardiovascular disease. The med reports understudy were grouped under the metabolically healthy and the metabolically healthy obese. The latter are those who are obese but not suffer from conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
As published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, it was found that those under the metabolically healthy obese category when compared to people who are of a “normal” weight had an increased risk of cardiovascular disease.
“Three metabolic abnormalities were taken into consideration during the study — diabetes, hypertension [high blood pressure] and hyperlipidaemia [high cholesterol]. A metabolically healthy person was classified as having no metabolic abnormalities.”
The metabolically healthy obese category had a 49% higher risk of having developed heart disease; a 7% higher risk of having had a stroke, and a 96% higher risk of having suffered heart failure.
See Also: Top 10 Health Benefits Of Dancing You Never Knew
Lead author and epidemiologist Dr Rishi Caleyachetty, from the University of Birmingham said:
“Obese individuals with no metabolic risk factors are still at a higher risk of coronary heart disease, cerebrovascular disease and heart failure than normal weight metabolically healthy individuals.”
“So-called ‘metabolically healthy’ obesity is clearly not a harmless condition and the term should no longer be used in order to prevent misleading individuals that obesity can be healthy.”
Several studies have suggested that unfit individuals had twice the risk of mortality regardless of BMI. The recent research proves it to be true.
In other words, a person may actually be obese, healthy and physically fit; but still faces the risk of a health threat. Consequently it is advised to still lose some weight regardless of the fat and fit status.
While staying physically active is already a good step; a healthy eating habit can boost the entire process.
The are other common ways fatness affects fitness:
1. Limits Physical Activities
Obesity makes certain movements and exercises difficult to do. The body size restricts mobility and causes joint pain.
2. Reduces Speed
Physiologically, it is more difficult for an obese person to perform a particular exercise routine at the same rate with a healthy weight person.
3. Requires More Oxygen
Fat persons require more oxygen to do the same exercise with someone of a healthy weight.
Latest Nigeria News
- Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Cut Down On Sugar
- Mugabe’s Resignation: Five Worst Moments From His 37 Years Of Leadership
- EatOut 2017: These Are The Top 10 Coolest Restaurants In SA Right Now
- African Leadership 2017: The Breaking Of 3 African Strong Men
- Zimbabwe’s Economy: Five Ways To Revive What Mugabe Killed
- Silverbird Cinema: Locations And Best Ways To Enjoy Yourself
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident