The operation Python dance is a security-based concept which is ideally meant to ensure the safety of lives and properties. More than all other parts of the Southeast Zone the military presence is currently heavy in Abia State.
The military all over the world are respected for their bravery in risking their lives for the safety of the people. In Nigeria, they are commonly feared for their penchant of intimidating “bloody civilians”.
In the past few days the Nigerian military have disrupted the peace of Southeastern state, Abia, with their show of force.
With the re-heated calls for secession by pro-Biafra citizens, the operation Python dance concept has been controversial in the Southeast zone and particularly in the home town of Nnamdi Kanu.
From the fresh attacks of Kanu’s home, the military displayed another act of provocation by patrolling around the same residence in the evening hours of yesterday.
Also, the Nigerian army stormed the Nigerian Union of Journalist, Secretariat in Abia state. They harassed the journalists and destroyed some of their phones.
It was gathered that the harassment was to deter the journalist from making media reports of their presence in the region.
See Also: Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Reacts To The Military-IPOB Clash
Evidences and personal witnesses of the victims proved that the claims were true.
As mentioned earlier, the Nigerian military is synonymous to intimidation. On several occasions, some of which have been made public on social media in recent times, the soldiers abuse their military status by ruthlessly assaulting harmless citizens.
Such was the unjustified case of the military and the journalists.
The series of attacks and provocation in the home town of IPOB leader, Kanu, is once again bringing Nigeria to the international light for the wrong reasons.
Nigeria seems to be fitting into the description of a dictatorial nation with a democratic cover. The latest military misconduct says a lot on the infringed rights of the people.
The IPOB leader in a recent interview says he is for a referendum on the secession bid. So far the Nigerian government has neither given any response nor shown a credible sign of politically restructuring the nation.
An attack on journalism is an attack on the basic rights and freedom of the people. Acknowledging this fact, the Deputy Director, Army Public Relation and Information, 82 Division, Colonel Sagir Musa made a visit to Abia state Capital, Umuahia to tender his apologies.
“I am in Umuahia on behalf of my boss Mag. Gen. Adamu Baba Abubakar who is the general officer commanding, GOC, 82 Division, Enugu, to express our concern over what happened today (yesterday) which is not the normal way we operate.”
“I want to assure you that all those who took part in the action against journalists will be fished out and dealt accordingly.”
See Also: The Nigerian Military And Nnamdi Kanu’s Home Invasion- Solution Or Provocation?
Col. Musa also stated that Operation Egwu Eke (Python Dance) was a statutory duty of the military which is not to victimize anyone or group. In that vein he said that the operation will re-start from the 15th of September to 14th of October and the exercise is not targeted at any group.
The re-commencement of the operation contradicts the calls from prominent Southeast associations to abort the operation.
It is worth the mention that the provocative occurrences of the military in the past few days have communicated a different message away from the claims of the Col. Musa.
Abia state government has announced a dusk to dawn 3-day curfew to quench agitations and secure lives.
But as much as calm is being preached to the people of the southeast zone, pro-Biafrans across the country have displayed demonstrations that suggest readiness for war.
From all over the zone, IPOB members are moving to the home state of their leader to show solidarity.
Vanguard reported a clash that ensued yesterday between the Igbos and the Hausa community in Rivers State.
The Nigerian presidency has not issued a statement over the latest developments as more ethnic conflicts loom. In an event where the operation is a strategy to halt the Biafran movement, well meaning Nigerians have warned that intimidation will amount to more chaos.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me