Jamie Dimon the CEO of JPMorgan has said that Bitcoin is a fraud and it is worse than the most famous asset bubble in history – tulip bulbs. This will not be the first time that Bitcoin and in fact the entire concept of cryptocurrency has faced criticism but it is coming at a time when more and more people were getting comfortable with the entire cryptocurrency game.
See Also: Bitcoin Surge: All The Possible Reasons Why The Cryptocurrency Has Broken Past $4000
Bitcoin had been enjoying an upward climb undeterred by even a split that saw the creation of Bitcoin cash even crossing $4000 at a point as tensions around the world seemed to make people turn to it as a disaster hedge in the case of a war. Lately, however, the tide seems to have been stemmed and the price of Bitcoin is now definitely below $4000.
It is this steady fall that may give a lot of credence to the words of Jamie Dimon at the Barclays Conference on Tuesday that Bitcoin is a fraud. He said that the cryptocurrency is “worse than tulip bulbs,” a reference to the arrival and boom of the tulip plant in 17th-century Europe.
In tulip bulb happened in Holland during the early 1600s and is now one of the most famous market bubbles of all time. The market for tulip bulbs had boomed as people speculated on its price but it all finally ended in panic selling.
A lot of people traded or sold possessions to participate in the tulip market mania and when it all came to an end in 1637, the prices dropped and panic selling began. The tulip bubbles were soon trading at a fraction of what they once had, leaving many people in financial ruin.
Jamie Dimon pointed out that Bitcoin had rocketed more than 350% this year while exploding in popularity, particularly in Asia before saying that this rally “won’t end well.”
See Also: Bitcoin Split, All You Need To Know
Jamie Dimon is not alone in his doubts about Bitcoin although he may be the only one to go as far as suggesting that Bitcoin is a fraud and also saying that he would fire any trader that transacted Bitcoin for being stupid. A number of fund managers surveyed by Bank of America Merrill Lynch in September also said that betting on Bitcoin’s continued rise was the “most crowded” trade.
Robert Shiller, the Nobel-winning author who predicted the housing and tech bubbles, also recently doubled down on his view Bitcoin is a bubble, telling Quartz it was the “best example right now” of one.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me