Kenya’s August elections were pretty expensive with estimates putting the total cost for the preparation and execution at 49.9 billion shillings ($480 million). It seems that Kenya’s October election will be likewise expensive after Ezra Chiloba, the chief executive officer of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) pegged the total cost at 12 billion shillings ($117 million).
See Also: Election Time In Kenya: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
In the August elections which were one of the most expensive in Africa, the $480 million was channeled into hiring personnel, procuring election materials, conducting voter education exercises and collecting and transmitting results.
Chiloba who said that the budget for Kenya’s October election would be presented to treasury officials this week said that most of the cost tabled for Kenya’s October election will go towards facilitating human resources and logistics.
It is sad that an election worth $480 million turned out to be worthless after Raila Odinga challenged the results of the polls and the Supreme Court annulled the election but it is even sadder that Kenyan taxpayers have to spend another $117 dollars on a do-over.
In the face of this extra cost, there is still lingering doubt among said taxpayers as to whether the electoral commission will indeed be able to hold a free and credible election.
There are internal struggles within the IEBC surfacing that show that the people are right to worry. For instance, a memo alleged to have come from the commission’s chairman Wafula Chebukati to the CEO Chiloba was leaked online.
See Also: President Zuma Claims He Is Like Steve Biko
In the memo, Chebukati asked Chiloba to explain why they purchased satellite phones that never worked, why hundreds of polling stations didn’t send results of the presidential election to the national tallying center, why an account created in his name was used to log into the elections management system, and why some election result forms lacked key security features. Chiloba has said that they were “looking at the issues raised in the memo and we will respond in the interest of the public.”
Of course, the campaigns of the two contenders, President Uhuru Kenyatta and Raila Odinga, will also cost money. In fact, the NASA Coalition has now resorted to public fundraising in order to fund its campaign.
Latest Nigeria News
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Albert Einstein’s Theory Of Happiness That More People Should Live By
- Two Budgeting Plans To Make Your Money Last
- Zimbabwe: 3 Key Things To Know About VP Mnangagwa’s Sack
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: 7 Interesting Facts Of The Actor Turned US Governor
- The Paradise Papers: All You Need To Know
- Sweating Blood: The Strange Medical Condition Known As Hematohidrosis
- Ghana Is The Highest Marijuana Using Country In Africa
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?