Maya Angelou quotes– The American poet, memoirist, and civil rights activist has left a legacy in her thoughtful and unfading words.
Her words can be described as balm for a soul that yearns to be rejuvenated in the journey of life.
Maya was born as Marguerite Annie Johnson on April 4, 1928. She died on May 28, 2014 at the age of 86.
Before her death, she published several works- autobiographies, books of essays, books of poetry. Wikipedia records that she was credited with a list of plays, movies, and television shows spanning over 50 years.
Maya Angelou was one of America’s unforgettable sources of inspiration, master of music and the spoken word. She is a multi-award winner with over 50 honorary degrees.
On the invitation from the White House in 1993, she became the first poet since 1961 to deliver an inaugural recitation. She recited her poem “On the Pulse of Morning” at Bill Clinton’s inauguration.
In 2000, she received the National Medal of Arts and in 2010 President Barack Obama awarded her the Presidential Medal of Freedom which is one of the country’s highest honors.
See Also: It’s World Smile Day And Here Are 20 Quotes On Smiling for Your Pleasure
Here are some of Maya Angelou Quotes:
1. When you learn, teach. When you get, give.
2. You can only become truly accomplished at something you love.
3. Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.
4. I’m convinced of this: Good done anywhere is good done everywhere. For a change, start by speaking to people rather than walking by them like they’re stones that don’t matter. As long as you’re breathing, it’s never too late to do some good.
5. If we lose love and self respect for each other, this is how we finally die.
6. We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.
7. It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.
8. We need much less than we think we need.
See Also: 200+ Staying Positive Quotes About Life And Work
9. It is impossible to struggle for civil rights, equal rights for blacks, without including whites. Because equal rights, fair play, justice, are all like the air: we all have it, or none of us has it. That is the truth of it.
10. There’s a world of difference between truth and facts. Facts can obscure the truth.
11. Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.
12. Without courage we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can’t be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest.
13. I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
14. What humility does for one is it reminds us that there are people before me. I have already been paid for. And what I need to do is prepare myself so that I can pay for someone else who has yet to come but who may be here and needs me.
15. You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?