On September 12, Hillary Clinton’s book “What Happened” which is said to center around the topic of how she lost the election came out. She has granted an interview to CNN to talk about the book and Vogue published an excerpt from What Happened on their website.
Both articles provide some insights from Clinton that take us back to the hard fought 2016 campaign. Critical reviews for the book are already littering Amazon with both praise and skepticism being shared equally.
See Also: President Zuma Claims He Is Like Steve Biko
One thing is for sure though; What Happened will give us a few answers about Hillary Clinton and some of the things that happened during the campaign that the world watched with what sometimes neared awe.
Here are 5 things that Hillary Clinton has said with What Happened;
The Electoral College Should Be Abolished
In her interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper, Hillary Clinton said that it is time to abolish the Electoral College. You will remember that Clinton won the 2016 popular vote by nearly 3 million votes but lost the Presidency because President Donald Trump won the Electoral College.
The Electoral College is a body of 538 members who select the president based on the popular vote in each state. This will not be the first time that Hillary Clinton has called for the Electoral College to be retired. In the 2000 election, when former Vice President, Al Gore won the popular vote but lost the electoral college and the presidency, she had said;
“I believe strongly that in a democracy, we should respect the will of the people and to me, that means it’s time to do away with the Electoral College and move to the popular election of our president.”
She Blames James Comey
Hillary Clinton also apportioned some blame for her loss to James Comey, the former FBI Director who was fired by Donald Trump after he became President.
She told Anderson Cooper that the day that Comey sent a letter to Congress saying he was reopening part of his investigation into Clinton’s emails, was the day she lost the election.
According to her, ‘that was the determinative day because it stopped my momentum’. She also added that James Comey “forever changed history” by reopening the email investigation just to close it days before Election Day.
She Loves And Is Grateful To Bill Clinton
A lot of people have been curious about Hillary Clinton’s marriage with Bill Clinton and in What Happened, she addresses the question of why she stayed with him;
“We’ve certainly had dark days in our marriage. You know all about them—and please consider for a moment what it would be like for the whole world to know about the worst moments in your relationship. There were times that I was deeply unsure about whether our marriage could or should survive.
“But on those days, I asked myself the questions that mattered most to me: Do I still love him? And can I still be in this marriage without becoming unrecognizable to myself— twisted by anger, resentment, or remoteness? The answers were always yes. So I kept going.”
She also says that he most especially helped her to get through the terrible loss of the Presidential elections.
See Also: North Korea’s New Sanctions: All You Need To Know
She Blames Bernie Sanders
Senator Bernie Sanders was Clinton’s last hold out for the Democratic nomination and she writes in What Happened that Sanders’ attacks on her caused “lasting damage” and laid the groundwork for Trump’s campaign against her.
According to her:
“The political sin he committed was the failure to move quickly to unify the party and his supporters.”
She pointed out that she had immediately backed Barack Obama in 2008 when her campaign was over, but that she “didn’t get that same respect and reciprocity from Sen. Sanders or from his supporters.”
Politics Is Not Everything
Hillary Clinton said she “wanted to make clear” in her book that politics is not everything in life and “pull the curtain back and say, ‘I lost a presidential campaign that I thought I was going to win. It was devastating. But I have so many blessings in my life, starting with my husband and the life we’ve built together.'”
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill