The Nigerian Defense Headquarters in the heat of the IPOB-military clash declared IPOB a terrorist group. However Buratai, the army chief has denied the pronouncement.
On 15 September, the military released a statement condemning the agitations of the pro-Biafra group. The statement presented by Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, the Director, Defence Information (DDI) was concluded thus;
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria wish to confirm to the general public that IPOB from all intent, plan and purpose as analysed, is a militant terrorist organisation.”
3 days later, the force takes back its “pronouncement”.
According to Buratai, it was a “pronouncement and not a declaration per se”.
“You have to get it very clear. First of all, what the Defence Headquarters did was to make pronouncement. It wasn’t a declaration per se. But this has given room for the right step to be taken. I think the government is doing the right thing.”
“It is not that we are overstepping our bounds. We are still within the limits. And I ensure you that what the military said was to set the ball rolling and to bring the awareness to the public that this is what this organization is all about. I’m happy that the government has done the right thing right now.”
See Also: Nigerian Military-IPOB Crisis: A Question Of Leadership
Following the initial pronouncement, Southeast governors proscribed the activities of the IPOB- an act that is still debated.
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Tukur Buratai denied that the Defence Headquarters did not declare IPOB a terrorist group. He said this during the official launch of Operation Python Dance II on Monday.
Recall that the military invariable the federal government insisted on carrying out to the full, the scheduled Python Dance II in the eastern region.
Buratai considered the “pronouncement” as an advantage that helped the government find a solution to the chaos.
It appears that the Federal government can conveniently make and denounce pronouncements to suit a given circumstance.
The Chief of Army staff, General Tukur Buratai says the operation will be carried out within the confines of the rule of law.
“The army is very sensitive to the cultural norms of the people and will abide by all the rules of engagement and code of conduct that have been laid down which is quite in tandem with the Constitution.”
Buratai also mentioned that though the essence of the exercise is to improve the security of the region, it had other activities in store for the people. For instance the exercise will comprise of Civil-Military cooperation activities like medical outreach, sanitation, donation of books to schools amongst others.
According to him, it will also serve as a form of training for the Military in basic internal security.
With the military changing its mind on the claims that the IPOB is a terrorist group, one would want to find out what actually makes a terrorist group.
See Also: Ethnic Cleansing: The Rohingyas As Myanmar’s Endangered Species
Describing the IPOB as a militant terrorist organization at this time coincides with the state of the Muslim minority, the Rohingyas in Myanmar.
Both groups have a history of political discrimination and clashes with the ruling government. While these two dissimilar ethnic groups are considered endangered species in their respective countries, their ruling governments blame recent clashes on the group’s ‘terrorist tendencies’.
Terrorism over time has taken several shapes. Consequently it is hard to conclusively give a definition that fully explains it. However, it could be said that any action that deliberately threatens the lives and security of the masses is a terrorist act.
One thing is clear, once injustice thrives for so long, there is bound to be a revolution. Notable acts of rebellion in history have never come and gone with no conflicts and even loss of lives and properties.
Without a doubt, the Military-IPOB clash subjected the region to immense terror. But what may not be fixed for observers is if acts of self defense or standing up for civil rights qualifies a group to be addressed as a militant group.
It is worthy to mention that this will not be the first time in Nigeria that a group of people fighting for a cause were frustrated into the use of violence to make themselves heard.
The Shiites and the Niger Delta group are similar examples.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?