Zimbabwe will have Mugabe forever whether they like it or not. The nonagenarian President already seems intent on ruling for the rest of his life and may, in fact, get his way but he is also putting his stamp on Zimbabwe in other ways.
One of the ways that peoples remembrance are assured is by naming things after them. It is considered both an honor and a sign of influence and will surely have generations of people who come after said person still talking about who or what they were.
See Also: Hillary Clinton Speaks Up With ‘What Happened’: 5 Things She Has Said
With quite a number of things named after President Robert Mugabe, Mugabe forever is not such a far-fetched thought. The Harare International Airport seems to be the next thing in line to bear the President’s stamp.
A letter advising the country’s aviation authorities of the airport’s name change to that of President Robert Mugabe has been shared on Twitter. It says that Harare International Airport will be renamed R.G. Mugabe International Airport from 9 November 2017.
Mugabe Forever, Inside And Outside Zimbabwe
- In August Zimbabwe announced that its first graduate school named after President Robert Mugabe is set to be established following government’s approval of a 1 billion U.S. dollars grant for construction of the university. The university would be established in partnership with the University of Zimbabwe, the country’s oldest university, but would be owned by the Robert Mugabe Foundation, which is itself yet to be set up.
- The Great Zimbabwe University, situated in the southeastern town of Masvingo, named its education department the Robert Mugabe School of Education. The school was inspired by Mugabe’s “vast contribution to the education system in Zimbabwe.”
- The Robert Mugabe School of Intelligence opened in 2007. Mugabe said the institute would produce spies able to fight threats from the West.
- President Robert Mugabe also has a lot of streets, roads, and venues named after him which include;
- Robert Mugabe Road in the capital Harare
- Robert Mugabe Way in Harare
- Robert Mugabe Road in Mutare
- Robert Mugabe Way in the second city, Bulawayo
- Robert Mugabe Way in Gweru
- Robert Mugabe Street in Masvingo
See Also: Ramaphosa’s Sex Scandal: 3 Reasons Why It Won’t Weaken His Presidential Bid
- Robert Mugabe Road in Kampala, Uganda’s capital
- Robert Mugabe Street in the South African capital Pretoria
- Robert Mugabe Avenue in Windhoek, the capital of Namibia
- Rua Robert Mugabe in the Mozambican port of Quelimane
President Mugabe’s likeness has also inspired several sculptures. One of them was unveiled in September 2016. It was a 12-foot, three-ton abstract statue that depicted a cartoonish Mugabe in a Superman-style pose. Mugabe himself praised the statue as stimulating “a kind of wonder” in his heart.
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill