Nigeria seems intent on repeating history as the agitation of the past week has shown. The Nigerian military’s dedication to accomplishing the notorious Operation Python Dance mission has committed even more people to the aspirations of C. Odumegwu Ojukwu, the then leader of Biafra.
Biafra was the breakaway nation that sparked a civil war in Nigeria during late ’60s. The champions for this cause may have changed with Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB taking center stage but the outlook is still pretty much the same.
See Also: Nigerian Military-IPOB Crisis: A Question Of Leadership
No matter what side of the struggle you support, it may be helpful to consider some of the words of C. Odumegwu Ojukwu on the subject of Biafra and revolution. C. Odumegwu Ojukwu wrote a lot during the Biafra war and a bulk of his notes and speeches are collected in a volume titled Biafra: Selected Speeches and Random Thoughts.
Reading the collection one would be sure to encounter detailed accounts of events leading up to the war, in addition to meditations on violence and revolutions and a lot of other topics.
10 Powerful Quotes From C. Odumegwu Ojukwu About Biafra And Revolution
- Nothing can shark the wheels or crush the spirit of a determined people
- We are humans. We live. We fight, fight because the decision to be free is a decision taken freely and collectively because to become involved in violent struggle for freedom is the only honor left to an oppressed people threatened with genocide because, in the final analysis, the only true bulwark against death is to live. Biafra rejects death…Biafra lives.
- We do not play politics. We are not masochists; rather, we are a people who choose to hunger a little to remain alive instead of feeding fat to become respectable corpses.
- If a leader accepts himself as already dead to society, there will be no reason for cowardice in his leadership.
- One thing that frightens leaders and leads them to a number of excesses is usually fear of death. No leader should fear death. In fact, you should accept the fact that from the moment of leadership you are sacrificed to death. Each subsequent day becomes a bonus for the preparation of one’s memorial.
- The history of the world is a chronicle of oppression.
- Since oppression is maintained by force, it is only possible to remove that oppression by a counterforce.
See Also: Real Leaders Are Not Sectional – Ezekwesili Condemns Buhari’s Tribal Sentiments
- What I have become, in this struggle is the mouthpiece of my people. I go where they push and no more. The day I think otherwise, the day I act otherwise, that day my people, without compromising the struggle, will find another person to express their aspirations.
- Biafra is a child of circumstance…His existence and survival are always a marvel, sometimes bordering on a miracle. His life is a tribute to man, his courage is his endurance, his ingenuity is his humanity.
- For unity to be meaningful it has to be creative, not the unity of Jonah in the whale but the unity of holy matrimony. The first can only lead to defecation, the second to procreation.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?