No less than 83 SA Military vehicles were totally burnt at a vehicle depot at Wallmannstal, north of Pretoria last week.
The vehicles said to be worth millions of rand were destroyed as a safety fire became uncontrollable, owing to a change of weather. The safety fire was supposedly put because a military fire truck broke down.
“A board of inquiry was instituted and it should have a report on the cause of the fire or any loss this might have caused. We should have results in 30 days.”
No one has been held responsible or penalized for the fire pending when the internal investigation into the incident is over. The perusal will likewise give the actual worth of the damage done by the fire outbreak.
A rough estimate predicts the damage to an amount to R6.7 million; given an “average market value of R80,000 for an old Samil truck”.
According to News24, this will be a repeat of such incident in South Africa. 2 years ago as much as 104 vehicles were gutted by fire aided by long grasses in the vicinity of the Kgosi Mapuru II prison in Pretoria.
See Also: Public Safety And The New Knife Carrying Law In Texas
Brigadier General Mafi Mgobozi, spokesperson for the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) confirmed that 83 vehicles, most of which were trucks, were damaged while one was destroyed completely.
According to Mgobozi‚ the vehicles were unused and kept for spare parts.
“While the fire rescue team was busy with the firebreak procedure there was an unanticipated change of wind that caused the fire to take a different direction. Then the fire started. I can’t confirm how long it took for all the vehicles to catch fire.”
“They were not used or going to be used in the near future. The base used them for parts. Though they were disposal vehicles‚ some had useful and usable parts. They assisted with repairs.”
A report said emergency fire services from Wonderboom were employed to douse the fire.
SA military says regardless of the damage done, its operations will not be hindered in any way.
See Also: Grenfell Tower: Top 10 Lessons To Learn From The London Fire
It was also discovered that the vehicle park and a shed near it were used to house “very old and potentially highly unstable” explosives for years. At extremely high temperatures the bombs become hazards. Gratefully, no lives were lost in the incident.
Car fires can be either accidental or deliberate (Arson).
However, here are general tips on how to prevent car fires:
1. Cars already contain combustible elements, thus further Inflammable materials should be kept away from the car. There’s a reason every car is equipped with fire extinguishers.
2. No smoking when driving or at fuel stations.
3. Safety fires as in the recent case should be carefully lit a reasonable distance away from cars. You never know what the weather can be up to.
4. Park Cars where there are no potential fire outbreaks.
Other car fire safety measures can be found here.
Latest Nigeria News
- World Food Day: Preventing Food Waste In Your Own Home
- The Different Shades Of Joy: World Happiness Report 2017
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark
- Five Quick Facts About Ghana’s Recent Gas Explosion
- Madagascar Plague: All You Need To Know
- The Honeymoon Tradition: 5 Historical Facts You Did Not Know
- 2017 Nobel Peace Prize: Japanese Kazuo Ishiguro Beats Ngugi Wa Thiong’o
- Random Acts Of Kindness Quotes : Lessons From Las Vegas Tragedy
- Harvard In Trouble With US Government For Diversity Record
- Sleeping Tricks: 5 Things To Try When You Cannot Sleep
- Monkeypox: Quick Facts About The Latest Deadly Virus In West Africa
- International Teachers Day: Remembering The World’s Most Unnoticed Instructors
- Dr Vuyane Mhlomi: The Power Of Determination And Hardwork
- The Blade Runner Killer: Family Protests Film Being Made About Oscar Pistorius
- Obamas 25th Anniversary: The Love Story Behind The International Power Couple
- Magufuli’s Salary: The Bulldozer Earns A Third Of Predecessor’s Earning
- The 5 African Athletes Nominated For The 2017 World Athlete Of The Year Award
- Vhutshilo Netshituni: Everything You Need To Know About SA’s First Black Paediatric Oncologist