Laughing one’s heart out is an expression brought to life for Virsaviya Borun whose heart beats outside her body.
Virsaviya Borun was born with her heart misplaced outside the rib cage. She was diagnosed with the Pentalogy of Cantrell, other wise known as the thoraco-abdominal syndrome.
According to doctors, the girl had a pretty short life expectancy. Sufferers of the thoraco-abdominal syndrome die as stillborns or few days after birth. Virsaviya’s mum Dari was repeatedly told by doctors that the disorder will kill her daughter. To the surprise of the world, the young child has celebrated her 7th birthday.
The survivor who bears the biblical name Bathsheba, says she knows the essence of her life and her medical condition.
“I know why I have a heart outside. Because Jesus want to show he can make special things like me.”
The story of the beautiful and charming 7-year old girl was first made public in 2015. A viral video was made as the family sought donations to fund a corrective surgery for Virsaviya.
See Also: Endometriosis: Everything You Need To Know About The Gynecological Disorder
That same year they moved from Russia to Florida to get the surgery done. Unfortunately, the procedure could not hold because she had issues with her blood pressure.
“It’s not easy for Virsaviya to live with her heart on the outside because it’s really fragile.”
“She has to be careful as of course she can fall and it can be really dangerous – she can die from that.”
Sources say that Virsaviya does not fare well in a cold environment. Thus, early this year, Dari moved with her daughter to Hollywood for its warm climate.
Since she lacks chest bones, her heart is protected by a thin layer of abdominal skin. As much as they try to be cautious with the condition Dari is certain that her daughter’s record breaking survival is attributed to God.
A day ago, another video of the young girl which lasted for few seconds surged up again. As she giggled the heart could be seen protracting from her chest.
The video did not however contain latest updates on the girl’s medical condition.
See Also: Treacher Collins Syndrome: Brazilian Baby Born Without A Face
What To Know About Pentalogy of Cantrell Or The Thoraco-abdominal Syndrome.
Pentalogy of Cantrell is a rare congenital disorder and a combination of birth defects. The cause is still unknown.
As seen with Virsaviya Borun the heart is only protected by a thin layer of skin.
Web Med states that Pentalogy of Cantrell causes defects in the breastbone (sternum), the muscle that separates the chest cavity from the abdomen and aids in breathing (diaphragm), the thin membrane that lines the heart(pericardium), the abdominal wall, and the heart.
The severity of the condition which varies from person to person can either be complete or incomplete. When all five defects are present, it is complete, if not is known as incomplete.
Pentalogy of Cantrell is most dangerous when there is ectopia cordis. This is when the heart is completely or partially displaced outside the chest.
The syndrome is very uncommon with a prevalence rate of 1 in every 1 million.
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill