Trevor Noah is the South African comedian and host of the Daily Show who has made quite a name for himself in the world of comedy. He added the tag of author to his impressive repertoire when he published his memoir, Born A Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood.
The book stayed on the top of the New York Times best-selling list for weeks and has proved it is indeed as successful as its writer by winning the 2017 Thurber Prize for American Humor.
See Also: 2017 Nobel Peace Prize: Japanese Kazuo Ishiguro Beats Ngugi Wa Thiong’o
By winning the Thurber Prize for American humor, Trevor Noah is now an award winning author. The prize which is sponsored by Thurber House was won previously by his predecessor at the Daily Show, Jon Stewart.
Trevor Noah received a $5,000 prize and a commemorative crystal plaque at a ceremony in New York along with the bragging rights that we are happy to use on his behalf.
While speaking at the awards ceremony, Trevor Noah said:
“When you write a book, first you hope it makes sense. Second, you hope that someone will read it. When that happens, everything else is a dream. Winning the Thurber Prize is something I never could have dreamed of.”
Born A Crime is about Trevor Noah’s experiences of apartheid in South Africa and it was written with the comedians usual honesty and wit. Now that Trevor Noah has won a prize that recognizes excellence in humor writing, it is probably time to look at some of our favorite words from the beloved comedian.
10 Great Trevor Noah Quotes
- We tell people to follow their dreams, but you can only dream of what you can imagine, and, depending on where you come from, your imagination can be quite limited.
- The first thing I learned about having money was that it gives you choices. People don’t want to be rich. They want to be able to choose. The richer you are, the more choices you have. That is the freedom of money.
- In society, we do horrible things to one another because we don’t see the person it affects. We don’t see their face. We don’t see them as people. Which was the whole reason the hood was built in the first place, to keep the victims of apartheid out of sight and out of mind. Because if white people ever saw black people as human, they would see that slavery is unconscionable.
See Also: Kenyan Author Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o: 10 Quotes On Reviving African Languages
- I don’t regret anything I’ve ever done in life, any choice that I’ve made. But I’m consumed with regret for the things I didn’t do, the choices I didn’t make, the things I didn’t say. We spend so much time being afraid of failure, afraid of rejection. But regret is the thing we should fear most. Failure is an answer. Rejection is an answer. Regret is an eternal question you will never have the answer to.
- Being a man is not what you have, it’s who you are. Being more of a man doesn’t mean your woman has to be less than you.
- The hood made me realize that crime succeeds because crime does the one thing the government doesn’t do: crime cares. Crime is grassroots. Crime looks for the young kids who need support and a lifting hand. Crime offers internship programmes and part-time jobs and opportunities for advancement. Crime gets involved in the community. Crime doesn’t discriminate.
- Every country thinks their history is the most important, and that’s especially true in the West. But if black South Africans could go back in time and kill one person, Cecil Rhodes would come up before Hitler. If people in the Congo could go back in time and kill one person, Belgium’s King Leopold would come way before Hitler.
- If we could see one another’s pain and empathize with one another, it would never be worth it to us to commit the crimes in the first place.
- My mom did what school didn’t. She taught me how to think.
- Learn from your past and be better because of your past,” she would say, “but don’t cry about your past. Life is full of pain. Let the pain sharpen you, but don’t hold on to it. Don’t be bitter.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?