Gender Gap– Scientists have just discovered that women have the tendency to be more generous than the male folk.
While faced with the challenge of helping others with money, they discovered that women possess a brain composition that prompts a sense of giving.
The scientists from the University of Zurich found that male and female brains react differently to “prosocial” and selfish behaviors.
Women are naturally expected to be more compassionate than men. The gender role of the woman from time immemorial has been centered on nurturing and building qualities.
According to the scientific research, a part of the brain showed a greater response when sharing money, while in men, the same structure showed more activity when they kept the cash for themselves.
So going by their finding, women have the propensity to be more open-handed than men.
See Also: Ever Wondered Why Women Need More Sleep Than Men? Here’s Your Answer
The spiritual explanation of gender roles has it that the creator made the two and gave them complementary qualities. Where you have the macho man, you have the tender loving woman.
Honestly speaking, we sometimes find women who are not so tender and men who are actually more generous than women. Let’s just say there are always exceptions to the rule.
The study which was published on Monday in Nature Human Behavior leaves room for the argument that the social construct and expectations of both genders are responsible for the attained disposition of the brain.
It undisputedly appears like a natural law that the man is expected to have something to show “for being a man”. They are the traditional breadwinners. In cases where they are not, they often feel slighted and frustrated. The man believes he has to have a certain degree of wealth. So we can say they are “strictly saving up” for a personal agenda.
The woman, for her childbearing ability, is programmed to develop charitable qualities suitable for a “nurturer”. And of course, every good nurturing job is strongly believed to yield good rewards someday.
See Also: Who Says It’s A Man’s World In Africa: The Tuareg Islamic Tribe Begs To Differ
According to Philippe Tobler, co-author of the new study and associate professor of neuroeconomics and social neuroscience at University of Zurich,
“Women put more subjective value on prosocial behavior and men find selfish behavior more valuable.”
“However, it was unknown how this difference comes about at the level of the brain”
“But in both genders, the dopamine system encodes value.”
The Dopamine is an organic chemical that functions as a neurotransmitter. It helps to process our value systems and is released at moments of pleasure.
Scientists conducted a series of experiments to the influence of the dopamine on both sexes. From the 56 men and women volunteers, the women chose to share a financial reward while the men chose not to.
Resultantly their first finding was that the neural reward system encodes the value of sharing money with others more strongly in women than in men.
The scientist altered their dopamine systems with an antipsychotic drug, Amisulpride. The result was the reverse of the initial one. The women became selfish while the men became more generous.
For some, this is proof that there are no prototypical traits for either men or women. But all things being equal, acts of kindness triggers a greater reward signal in women than it does in men.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?