Kenya’s re-run election was scheduled for October after the country’s Supreme court shockingly annulled the August elections that saw incumbent President Uhuru Kenyatta emerging as the winner.
In Kenya’s re-run election, Raila Odinga was meant to go head to head with President Kenyatta with all the other candidates asked to sit it out. Raila Odinga has, however, pulled out of the election.
See Also: Nambia And Wakanda: 5 Reasons The World Knows So Little About African Countries
He said that he hopes that his withdrawal will give the electoral commission enough time to introduce reforms that will help deliver a more credible election.
President Kenyatta has said that he is ready to proceed with the new vote as planned and Kenya’s deputy President William Ruto has called on the commission to declare Mr Kenyatta president as a result of Mr Odinga’s announcement.
In his announcement, Raila Odinga said;
“We have come to the conclusion that there is no intention on the part of the IEBC [electoral commission] to undertake any changes to its operations and personnel… All indications are that the election scheduled for 26 October will be worse than the previous one.”
He said that his decision was made “considering the interests of the people of Kenya, the region and the world at large.” The belief in Mr. Odinga’s party is that the election will have to be cancelled as a result of his withdrawal.
This is then meant to allow for “adequate time to undertake the reforms necessary to conduct an election that is in strict conformity with the constitution, the relevant laws and the constitution”.
President Kenyatta spoke at a rally in the southern town of Voi, saying;
“We have no problem going back to elections. We are sure we will get more votes than the last time.”
“We are also telling him it is the people’s right to choose their leader. It is their sovereign right to choose their leader of choice.”
The annulment of the election that had declared President Kenyatta the victor was certainly a win for Raila Odinga. It vindicated the claims he made challenging the election but the changes he pushed for as conditions for his participation in Kenya’s re-run election were not met mostly because of contractual agreements with the companies providing key services for the election.
See Also: Magufuli’s Salary: The Bulldozer Earns A Third Of Predecessor’s Earning
That combined with the fact that he would most likely have faced a defeat the second time considering President Kenyatta’s party won a majority of MPs in both houses of parliament, may have contributed to his decision to sit the election out.
There is still a lot of confusion on what exactly the legal consequences of his withdrawal are but that will no doubt continue to become clearer in the days to come.
The real losers here seem to be Kenyans who are most likely tired of all this political drama but who have a vested interest in the eventual outcome. An opposition senator, James Orengo, has called on people to protest on Wednesday, using the slogan “no reform, no elections”.
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?