Tobi Cohen will be the first woman of Nigerian roots serving in the Israeli Defense Force (IDF).
Ms. Cohen who has risen to the rank of a Lieutenant colonel in the IDF is born of an Israeli father and a Nigerian mother. The young woman was typically raised in Nigeria.
Success sure does have a lot of friends. Nigeria, as seen in the case of Anthony Joshua, is often quick to claim their citizens in the international spotlight. However, Tobi may not be the usual scenario as the successful woman has said she has identified herself to be more Nigerian than Israeli.
She grew up in Kano state where she lived with her mother and sisters.
Tobi’s father was an Israeli army officer. A career path that greatly motivated the young woman at an early age. As a teenager, she dared to make a move towards that dream. She chose to walk in the footsteps of her father.
“At age 16, I decided that it was my time to make a change. I joined a programme which sends young people to Israel. After one year, I joined a ‘Mechina’ [a pre-military programme] and it was there that I started to feel more connected to the army.”
See Also: Meet The Nigerian Military Couple Who Are Both Army Generals
Following the choice of the military career in Israel, Tobi was happy to finally experience a relationship with her Israeli roots. She had heard so much about the place and the military and wanted to have a first-hand experience of them.
“I always wanted to come to Israel ever since I was a small child. I wanted a deeper connection, to understand what Israel is, and not just through stories.”
Tobi Cohen recalls her initial naivety to the new system. According to her, she made a lot of “worthy” mistakes while learning the ropes of the army life. But in all of those, the push was still there.
“After a few months in the army, I already wanted to become an officer. I know it might sound strange, but I fell in love with the army.”
Making it to the IDF was a dream come true for her and her father.
“He was just as emotional as I was. For him, it was a dream come true and his being there really helped me. My mother and my entire family attended the officers’ graduation ceremony.”
See Also: Nigeria At 57: Five Of The Country’s Proudest Moments
Tobi was accepted into the officers’ training course after serving as an operations sergeant. In time she was promoted to the rank of a Lieutenant.
As a Deputy Training Officer in Haifa region, Tobi is responsible for guiding people on how to act during natural disasters such as earthquakes, fires, and floods, as well as emergencies such as rocket attacks or the threat of a biological/chemical weapon.
Lt. Tobi Cohen has become a source of motivation for women and girls in Nigeria and beyond.
“It is very touching to be the first woman officer from Nigeria in the IDF.”
Latest Nigeria News
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark
- Five Quick Facts About Ghana’s Recent Gas Explosion
- Madagascar Plague: All You Need To Know
- The Honeymoon Tradition: 5 Historical Facts You Did Not Know
- 2017 Nobel Peace Prize: Japanese Kazuo Ishiguro Beats Ngugi Wa Thiong’o
- Random Acts Of Kindness Quotes : Lessons From Las Vegas Tragedy
- Harvard In Trouble With US Government For Diversity Record
- Sleeping Tricks: 5 Things To Try When You Cannot Sleep
- Monkeypox: Quick Facts About The Latest Deadly Virus In West Africa
- International Teachers Day: Remembering The World’s Most Unnoticed Instructors
- Dr Vuyane Mhlomi: The Power Of Determination And Hardwork
- The Blade Runner Killer: Family Protests Film Being Made About Oscar Pistorius
- Obamas 25th Anniversary: The Love Story Behind The International Power Couple
- Magufuli’s Salary: The Bulldozer Earns A Third Of Predecessor’s Earning
- The 5 African Athletes Nominated For The 2017 World Athlete Of The Year Award
- Vhutshilo Netshituni: Everything You Need To Know About SA’s First Black Paediatric Oncologist
- Slide Safe: This Nigerian Startup Wants To Help Nigerians Have Safe Sex
- Don’t Joke About Grace Mugabe’s Underwear Or You May Face Jail Time