International day of the girl child is celebrated on the 11th of October yearly and for good reason. There are still a lot of things that the girl child needs from the world around her, least of which is the recognition and understanding that she is as important and equal to the boy child.
The fight for rights for the girl child has been ongoing on a number of fronts and due to these different battles, there comes around. once in a while, a victory that the girl child will certainly be grateful for immediately or in a couple of years down the line.
See Also: World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
This year alone, there have been some of those victories in good measure and with the International Day of the girl child just past, it is only right for us to celebrate them, whether for the first time or all over again.
5 Things The Girl Child Can Now Be Thankful For
Women Driving In Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia had remained the last lone holdout on women driving for as long as anyone can remember. This year, however, a rather unexpected decree gave women the permission to obtain driver’s licenses.
The decree also extended to an allowance of women driving alone without needing the permission of their guardians to get a driver’s license. The interior ministry was also to make a decision on whether women could be professional drivers. The momentous decree as a victory for the girl child who should have no restrictions whatsoever on what she should be able to learn or do.
Muslim Women In Tunisia Gained The Right To Marry Anyone
The right to choose one’s spouse is one of the many great freedoms that people all over the world take for granted but until recently, Muslim women in Tunisia could not marry non-Muslim men.
In September, however, the 44-year ban preventing Muslim women from marrying non-Muslims was lifted. The President of Tunisia, Beji Caid Essebsi, who had campaigned tirelessly for gender equality ever since he took office, pushed for the ban to be lifted arguing that it contravened Tunisia’s 2014 constitution which was created following the Arab Spring protests at the turn of the decade.
Singapore Got Its First Female President
Halimah Yacob a 63 year old politician became Singapore’s first female President in 2017 and this is a victory for the girl child because the more female Presidents that there are in the world or even through history, the more they know that no height is too high for them.
Yacob had been announced as the President in September with no elections conducted after two of her contenders dropped out of the race.
See Also: Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Tells The World Goodbye At The UN General Assembly
Despite the fact that the President’s office in Singapore is mostly ceremonial with the President having no significant executive powers and only some authority over Singapore’s asset and financial reserves, Yacob gave a speech filled with joy over her victory, assuring the people of a fair and committed leadership.
India Rules Sex With A Child Bride As Rape
On the 11th of October 2017, the International Day of the girl child, India’s Supreme Court ruled that sex with an underage wife constitutes rape.
It was a landmark ruling which campaigners have said could affect the lives of millions of girls. It overturned an initial clause that permitted men to have sex with a married girl as young as fifteen and according to Girls Not Brides — a coalition of NGOs working to end child marriage — 47% of Indian girls are married by the age of eighteen.
With the new ruling, girls who are raped by their husbands can bring charges within one year of the offence.
Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Ended Her Tenure In Style
The first female President of Liberia and the first female President in the African continent at large saw her tenure draw to a close in October and true to her word, worked to ensure a peaceful transference of power by supervising a democratic election to choose her successor.
Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is leaving office with a lot of goodwill directed at her and in a continent where sit tight leaders who hold on to power thinking that they are the only ones fit enough to rule, she has set an amazing example for the girl child and female leadership as a whole.
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?