Baby Ava-Rose Nightingale, from Carmarthen in Wales, has been dubbed the inside-out baby because she was born with her intestines outside her body.
Medicine identifies this condition as gastroschisis. This is a birth defect that causes a baby’s intestines to grow outside the body because the abdominal wall did not form properly before birth.
Ava-Rose Nightingale was born naturally on May 21 at University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff.
Immediately she was born and the condition of her intestines was noticed, the doctors quickly wrapped her intestines up in cling film to keep her warm and avoid infections. After that, the doctors headed for a surgery.
Before the birth, however, Chloe had already been prompted by doctors that there was a bit of an abnormality with her baby during her 16-week check-up.
The doctor made a couple of discoveries. Baby Ava-Rose had gastroschisis and her mother had an anterior placenta.
See Also: Virsaviya Borun: The Girl Who Practically Giggles Her Heart Out
Having an anterior placenta is a condition that arises when the placenta develops wherever the fertilized egg attaches to the uterus. The usual scenario is that the baby forms on the front wall of the womb.
As a result of this Chloe did not feel a single movement from her baby throughout her pregnancy.
After her birth, 21-year-old Chloe Walters only got a few seconds of cuddle with her baby. The dairy farmer described the episode as a scary experience.
“It was such a scary experience. They told me I wouldn’t be able to hold her but I was so upset I got to for five seconds.”
“Her intestines were on her and they looked bigger than her. It was like huge blobs of flesh and red.”
Baby Ava Rose Nightingale survived the 3-hour surgery. She spent 7 weeks with her parents, Scott and Chloe Nightingale, in the hospital before she was discharged. During that time, the strong baby made use of a breathing aid. She was also fed intravenously through the head before she was slowly introduced to milk.
See Also: New Study: Vitamin B3 Intake Could Prevent Miscarriages & Birth Defects
“I couldn’t look at the photo. At the time I didn’t want it and to see it would have broken my heart.”
“But after two weeks I wanted to see it. I built up the courage to have a look and while it was horrible it shows how far she has come.”
“To look at her now you’d never know what she has been through.”
Baby Ava-Rose Nightingale’s mother took to Facebook to create awareness for the condition which she says occurs one in 3,000 babies every year.
What is Gastroschisis?
Gastroschisis is a type of birth and abdominal wall defect. It occurs when a child’s abdomen partially develops while in the womb. This causes the intestines to develop on the outside.
The cause of Gastroschisis is not known yet. As Chloe stated in her Facebook post, the condition commonly occurs in baby boys and mothers under age 20.
Gastroschisis is treated through surgical means where the intestines are put back into the body. Before the surgery, the intestines are wrapped in cling film to keep the baby warm and avoid damage.
If the surgery is successful then the baby only needs to recuperate. They live normal lives like everyone else.
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?