Shatta Wale proclaimed his own self the dance hall king but there will be very few in Ghana who will dispute his claim. The Ghanaian producer is known far and wide and has been able to distinguish himself in a number of respects.
He courts controversy but he also knows how to keep bringing the music and entertainment that keeps him relevant. For the fans and haters alike, this article will share some lesser known facts about the man, the artist and the enigma.
See Also: DJ Black Coffee: Five Things You Should Know About This Wave Making DJ
Before The Music
Shatta Wale was born on the 17th of October, 1984 to Mr Charles Mensah and Madam Elsie in Accra, Ghana. He was christened as Charles Nii Armah Mensah. Like all parents, Shatta Wale’s parents had some idea about where they wanted their son to go and that path led towards law, a path that evidently never worked out.
Shatta Wale began writing and recording music from his high school days. He was not to drop out like many other musicians because his parents priced education highly but he would go into full-time music afterwards. He got a load of inspiration from the formerly popular Ghanaian reggae musician, Yoggy-Doggy and first started out in his career with the stage name Doggy.
He landed a new deal with a recording studio and then became Bandana releasing the hit track “Bandana from Ghana” in 2004. He has said that he chose the name Bandana because he favoured the bandana as an article of clothing then.
Becoming Shatta Wale
He took a long break and reappeared in 2013 as Shatta Wale. He gave an interview where he revealed that he decided to rebrand as Shatta Wale after consulting God. Shatta is a Jamaican slang for ‘Gangster’, while WALE is an acronym which stands form ‘World Alerted Lyrical Entertainer’.
Learning Dance Hall
In the silent period before becoming Shatta Wale, Charles Nii Armah alleged that he was off in Jamaica learning the music genre that he has now claimed to rule – Dancehall.
His real identity as a controversial artist started to emerge after the 2013 Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMA). What made the moment significant? The dancehall musician and producer claimed that he was the rightful nominee to win VGMA’s dance hall Artist of the Year, accusing them of giving it to an undeserving female Dancehall artist “Kaakie”.
See Also: 5 Reasons the World Loves Beyonce So Much At 36
He made his claims more public when he afterwards released a song titled “Me Need No Awards” in which he dissed the VGMA for their supposed slight. It was after this entire episode that he declared himself Ghana’s dance hall king with a new release titled ‘Dancehall King”; a hit that brought him fully into the limelight.
He has ridden that wave since then, thriving on controversy and sharing his opinions no matter how scathing they may seem.
Shatta Wale has broken a world record after becoming the first musician to perform 118 Tracks in One Night. The momentous performance took place on July 23 at Nima. The pouring rain did not stop Shatta Wale or his faithful fans from taking full control of the night.
In 2014, Shatta Wale proved his collaboration chops after his song Wine Ya Waist’ featuring Davido from Nigeria, was named among the five must listen to tracks from around the world. Also in 2014, his song ‘You Can’t Touch Me’ was widely used by the Dancers Against Racism Campaign Worldwide.
Wale the Actor
Shatta Wale has also displayed some acting chops. He starred alongside Bisa Kdei and Majid Michel in one movie and was also in the movie Never Say Never featuring Charles Ko Bucknor, Edward Kufuor and Paulina Oduro.
Shatta Wale is traditionally married to his girlfriend Michelle aka Shatta Michy. They have two kids which makes it quite confusing that the dancehall king once said that he will finally settle down and claim the full responsibility of family life when he turns 72.
Awards and Achievements
- Shatta won Best New Entertainer at the International Reggae and World Music Awards.
- During the 2014 Nigerian Entertainment Awards, the dancehall king won the African Artiste of the Year.
- Nominated for the maiden GN Bank Awards as the People’s Choice Male Musician of the year.
- He was also named the 38th Most Influential Ghanaian by E-TV Ghana in 2015 in their annual survey of influential people in Ghana.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?