Ghana Police Service has been listed as one of the best in Africa.
The World Internal Security and Police Index (WISPI) recently released its ranking for the performance of police for the year 2017.
All over the world, the police service is established for the maintenance of law and order in the society.
They ensure that lives and properties are safeguarded.
In an event where these core aims are defeated, then that police service has become inefficient. While there is no perfect institution, the frequency of failings invariably determines the level of moral rot in an environment.
To be named as one of Africa’s best police services, Ghana must have displayed a level of excellence worth commending.
Earlier in October, the Inspector General Police, David Asante-Apeatu, says Ghana Police Service is taking conscious and practical steps to become the best in Africa within 4 years.
See Also: 10 African Countries With the Highest Military Strength and Fire Power
According to their website also, Ghana Police Service intends to be one of the best in the world.
“The Ghana Police Service seeks to become a world class Police Service capable of delivering planned, democratic, protective, and peaceful services up to the standards of international best practice.”
And as clearly listed there, their key functions include:
- Prevention and detection of crime,
- Apprehension and prosecution of offenders,
- Maintenance of law and order,
- Protection of life and property.
Ghana Police Service has a well structured organogram which makes their work, duties and services easy to carry out. If there is lack of clarity in the division of labor, then the work flow will be faulty and chaotic.
The West African Country has set an example for the rest with their organisational structure.
At the supreme helm of affairs of Ghana Police Service is the office of the Inspector General of Police (IGP). Following him is the Deputy Inspector-General of Police as assisted by the Director-General of the Police Administration.
The Deputy IGP and the DG are tasked with the supervision of activities of the regional commanders of police. There is a Regional Commander for every regional police division who is in charge of all operational and administrative duties.
See Also: Top 10 Countries Who Absolutely Do Not Need Armed Forces
These Regional Commanders carry out their operational responsibilities in tandem with the Regional Operational Commander; while for administrative functions, they are assisted by their Deputies and the Regional Crime Officers.
Ghana Police service has employed over 30, 000 police officer across the 651 stations in the country.
Altogether there are 12 divisions in Ghana; of which 10 covers all regions of the country; 1 assigned to the Seaport in Tema and 1 other for the Railways, Ports and Harbours Division
The country’s police force is considered one of the busiest in the continent. Nevertheless the institution has faced allegations of corrupt practices.
Ghana’s Police Service is one of the Public Sector Organisations (PSOs) under the Ministry of the Interior.
To keep the interest of the officers sustained, there is need to incentivise the noble and sensitive profession.
Courtesy of IGP, Appeatu’s administration, an insurance policy which guarantees a GHc 50,000 cover for officers who die in line of duty have been introduced. In addition to that, three of the deceased officers children will be sponsored from nursery to tertiary education.
He also says in a case of accidental or natural death, the family of the deceased officer would be entitled to GH¢ 25,000. Where an officer suffers a permanent disability, he or she would be entitled to GH¢ 25,000.
According to the WISPI ranking, these countries have the best police force in Africa include:
- Burkina Faso
- South Africa
For the worst, Nigeria tops the list followed by DR Congo, Kenya, Uganda, Mozambique, Cameroun, Sierra Leone, Ethiopia, Zambia and Madagascar.
On a global rating, Singapore is the best followed by Finland, Denmark, Austria, and Germany.
Latest Nigeria News
- Mugabe Resigns: Remembering Five Of His Greatest Moments
- SOS: This Is The Best Sleeping Position For Pregnant Women
- Dog Ownership: This Is Another Reason Why You Need A Dog Around You
- Betting in Nigeria – By The Numbers
- 5 Things To Note From That Confusing President Mugabe Speech
- Kofi Kinaata: All You Need To Know About The Fante Rap God
- These Three African Empires Shocked The World
- A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
- Emmerson Mnangagwa: 6 Reasons Zim’s Interim President Is Called The Crocodile
- Pope Francis’ Lamborghini And His Problem With Luxury Toys
- Funny Wisdom Quotes That Will Make Your Day
- Eddy Kenzo: BET Award Winner Bags The Best East African Male Artiste Award
- Zimbabwe Military Takeover: Everything You Need To Know About The Bloodless Transition
- This Is Why Ghana Police Service Is One Of The Best In Africa
- Shatta Wale: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Producer
- Victor Moses: 5 Latest Facts About The International Star
- Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
- Mabior Garang: Top 5 Facts About The Minister Of Water Affairs In Sudan
- African Masks: Types And Interesting Facts About Them
- Get To Know The Political Term Limits In Various African Countries
- Ifeoma Fafunwa: Nigerian Woman Making A Difference With Creative Arts
- Is Nigeria’s Energy Industry Finally Rising Out of the Ashes?
- Global Citizen Forum: Akon Is Awarded For The Lighting Africa Initiative
- Chantel Dartnall: SA Female Chef Named The Best In The World
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade