Zimbabwe Military Takeover – In what seems to be a bloodless coup, the military has taken over operations in the country’s capital, Harare.
Following the sack of the Vice President, Emmerson Mnangagwa for no substantial reason, the military hinted at stepping into the politics to avoid further misconducts in the ruling party.
Making true the threat, the military stormed the country’s capital Harare. Reports confirm that the army has positioned their armoured tanks in the northern suburbs where Mr. Mugabe and a number of government officials live. Their presence was accompanied by sounds of gunfire.
The seeming Zimbabwe military takeover has attracted more local and international concerns. Zimbabwe is in a tensed state at the moment.
However, the military who has taken over the nation’s broadcasting network (Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation) has unequivocally stated that the ongoing transition is in no way a coup but a necessary step to curb political misconducts by “criminals” who surround the presidency.
Meanwhile, Maj. Gen Sibusiso Moyo who read the statement on air advised the people to go about their normal regular businesses. He also assured the people that Robert Mugabe and his household are safe and secure.
“We are only targeting criminals around him who are committing crimes… that are causing social and economic suffering in the country. As soon as we have accomplished our mission, we expect that the situation will return to normalcy.”
See Also: Zimbabwe: 3 Key Things To Know About VP Mnangagwa’s Sack
The statement also went on to assure the judiciary that their independence will not be tampered with. While the army solicits that all security services should “co-operate for the good of our country”, it did not forget to mention that any sought of provocation would “be met with an appropriate response.”
Also, all military and police personnel on leave have been ordered to return to active duty.
So far nothing has been heard from the nonagenarian president or his aides.
It would be recalled that the First Lady in the month past accused Mnangagwa and his allies of plotting a coup.
Cause Of Takeover
Before now, the VP was the known likely successor of the President. As their relationship got strained, Grace Mugabe came into the picture. The tussle between the two top figures divided the ruling party, ZANU-PF into factions.
Though the military says the takeover is to curb the excesses of political criminals, many believe it was spurred by the latest sack of the VP last Monday.
As mentioned in their statement, the takeover is an obligatory rescue mission to salvage Zim’s failing political and economic institutions.
See Also: Is Zimbabwe A Weak State? Mugabe Adamantly Says No
Reports say that some senior government officials have been arrested and detained. Reuters’ source confirmed that Finance Minister Ignatius Chombo was among those in military custody.
Chombo is a ZANU-PF politician and a supporter of Grace Mugabe’s bid to succeed her husband.
With the official Zimbabwe military takeover backed by their statement, the latest development may actually see the end of Mugabe as the president of the Southern African country.
By extension, the takeover may potentially halt the move to make Grace Mugabe a replacement for Emmerson as well as a successor of the sit-tight president.
Speculations have it that the First Lady would most likely be announced as the VP replacement by the ruling party next month.
It is on record that the military is in favor of the recently sacked VP who is also a veteran of the Liberation War.
As of now, it is not clear who calls the shot in Zimbabwe.
Side by side to the uneasiness in Zimbabwe, many have applauded the move with hopes that this will finally unseat the president who has ruled the nation for decades and refused to step down.
Zimbabweans blame the poor economic state of the country on Mugabe’s age and leadership.
On the other hand, the likes of Alex Magaisa, a former adviser to Zimbabwean opposition leader, Morgan Tsvangirai, categorically describes the ongoing Zimbabwe military takeover as a full-fledged coup.
“They have decided not to call it a coup because they know that a coup does not sell, it will be condemned.
“But as far as authority is concerned it seems very clear that President Mugabe is now just a president in name and authority is now residing in the military.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?