East African sensation and international award winning star, Eddy Kenzo bagged the Best East African Male Artiste during the AFRIMA awards which held on Sunday at Eko Hotel and Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos Nigeria.
AFRIMA is one of the biggest music awards in Africa with the participation of over 700 artistes across the continent.
During the event which was co-hosted by American-Senegalese Akon and Cameroonian entertainment personality Sophy, Eddy Kenzo clinched 2 awards.
He won the Best Male Artiste in East Africa and Best Album of the year award.
Here are interesting facts of the entertainer and multi-award winner:
Eddy Kenzo was born in Masaka, a town in the central region of Uganda. His real name is Edrisa Musuuza.
At age 5 he lost his mother and that led him to living in the streets for 13 years. Kenzo appears to be the only child of his mother as much is not known about his father.
He got to meet his father at a much later age but he passed on too in 2011.
After high school, he adopted the stage name Eddy Kenzo and began writing music.
See Also: Bisa Kdei: 10 Lesser Known Facts About The Ghanaian Singer
Street To Stardom
Once again, Eddy Kenzo’s story is no different from the millions of “street to stardom” stories in the music industry. While kicking back at life in the streets, Kenzo described music as his “safe haven” during the rough times.
From his high school days, he had started writing music. From there came his professional name, “Eddy Kenzo”.
Kenzo has made resounding successes with his albums.
Eddy Kenzo made a breakthrough in the music industry with his 2008 hit song Yanimba.
His song Stamina made waves in the East African community and was used for political campaigns in Uganda.
In 2014, he released Sitya Loss which appealed to the international community. The song was viewed by millions and shared by prominent celebrities like Ellen Degeneres, Puff Daddy, Akon, Ronaldinho, Tevin Cambell, Sanaa Lathan and so many more worldwide.
In the just concluded Afrima, the successful African singer was nominated alongside the big leads in East Africa like Diamond Platinumz and Ali Kiba. It was a huge achievement to have beat the two stars in that category.
See Also: Dr Tumi: 5 Fast Facts About The South African Gospel Singer
Eddy Kenzo took to social media to express his gratitude,
“Hello my fans and Africa at large, from the bottom of my heart i wanna thank you so much for being part of this greatest success. I have had sleepless nights hustling tirelessly to make sure we go an extra mile every time.”
“Winning best male East Africa and best album at the Afrima shows how great our God is and how He works in ways we cannot see.”
“This is not for me alone but for mother Uganda, East Africa and Africa generally.”
“To all my fellow East African artists, let’s work so hard to get more of these for our continent.”
“Stick to your gun, keep your heads up, look up to God who is the giver of everything am sure you can do far better than me.
Thank you afrima, thank you my lovely fans for making a historical impact for East Africa may God bless you so much. Thank you Afrimawards.”
Eddy Kenzo has been in a couple of relationships, from which he now has 2 daughters.
Maya Musuuza Mirembe was born in 2011 from his relationship with Tracy Nabatanzi. Aamaal Musuuza was born in 2014 from his relation with Rema Namakula.
The Afrima recognized leading East African star attributes his success so far to God.
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?