The world and Zimbabwe in particular has been reeling from the events of the past week which saw President Robert Mugabe lose power in a country that he has ruled for 37 years.
The Zimbabwe Defence Force seized power in Zimbabwe but insisted that a coup had not taken place. With the country left without an obvious ruler, there were high expectations for the TV address that was meant to be given by President Mugabe on November 19, 2017. The expectation from President Mugabe’s TV Address was simple: Mugabe would resign and Zimbabwe would move forward.
See Also: A Brief History Of Famous African Coups And Their Endings
President Mugabe is always willing to surprise and he did not fail to do so this time around. The Mugabe TV address was a study in confusion, fulfilling none of the simple expectations and the people may have to move on to plan B.
5 Things To Note From Mugabe’s TV Address
It Looks Like Mugabe Is Still President
Probably the most shocking thing from President Mugabe’s TV Address is the fact that he did not resign. In fact, the nonagerian stressed that he was still in power despite the fact that his 37 year reign was shaken by the military take over.
He ended the address without announcing his resignation and in fact, tried to project authority in his speech.
He Finally Acknowledged That There Were Problems
In a case that could be the very definition of too little, too late, President Mugabe finally acknowledged what he said were “a whole range of concerns” held by the people about the chaotic state of the government and the economy.
In his words;
“Whatever the pros and cons of the way they went about registering those concerns, I as the president of Zimbabwe, as their commander in chief, do acknowledge the issues they have drawn my attention to, and do believe that these were raised in the spirit of honesty and out of deep and patriotic concern for the stability of our nation and for the welfare of our people,”
He Is Still Confident Of His Place In Zanu-PF
Ignoring the fact that the Central Committee of the ruling ZANU-PF party voted to dismiss him as party leader at a meeting earlier on Sunday, Mugabe said that he would play a leading role in a party congress planned for December 12, 2017.
“The congress is due in a few weeks from now, I will preside over its processes, which must not be prepossessed by any acts calculated to undermine it or compromise the outcomes in the eyes of the public.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?