Best Sleeping Position for Pregnant Women– Over a thousand pregnancies were examined by the Midlands and North of England Stillbirth Study (MiNESS).
While 735 out of the pregnancies studied ended in live births, 291 ended in stillbirths.
The essence of the study is to further detect the link between the sleeping position of women and stillbirths. Medical researchers in several parts of the world have worked and are still working on this.
As derived from the recent research, it was found that women who slept on their backs were more likely to experience stillbirth after 28 weeks gestation (late stillbirths) than those who slept on their sides.
Sleeping on the side(SOS) during the third trimester reduces the risk of stillbirth by half.
Statistics shows that less than 10 percent stillbirths are as a result of a predetermined condition. In other words most stillbirth cases are preventable.
In the UK, roughly one in every 225 pregnancies ends in a stillbirth while in the US, it’s one in every 100.
See Also: New Study: Vitamin B3 Intake Could Prevent Miscarriages & Birth Defects
Below is how various sleeping positions affect both mother and child.
Sleeping On The Back
After the fifth month, sleeping on the back becomes a bad idea.
Lying on your back can disrupt breathing. Also the belly pushes down on the intestines when you lie on your back, this can lead to tummy troubles.
In this position, there is pressure on the aorta and inferior vena cava. These are the blood vessels that run behind the abdomen and carry blood back to the heart from the legs and feet. This condition slows down blood circulation to the body and affects the baby as well.
See Also: PPROM: Pregnant Woman Defies Doctors; Saves Baby With 7 Pints Of Water
Sleeping On The Stomach
When pregnant, stomach sleepers adjust their sleeping positions. The implication of sleeping on the stomach during pregnancy is that the stomach presses on your expanding uterus and the enlarging breasts. It can be outright uncomfortable, resulting to abdominal pains.
Sleeping On The Side
For comfort and the good of the baby’s health, sleeping on the side is the best position.
While both sides are good to sleep on, experts say the left side is the best and most comfortable as the abdomen and the baby grows. It improves blood circulation by giving nutrient-packed blood an easier route from your heart to the placenta.
Lying on the left side also helps to keep the expanding body weight from pushing down too hard on the liver.
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?