Meet Tom Anderson, the default profile photo and popular face of Myspace invention.
Before Facebook came into the scene, Myspace was the deal. Before then, the Myspace founder Tom Anderson was one of the leading money bags in the social media industry. It was created after Friendster social networking service website, in Lumpur, Malaysia.
The American entrepreneur was born on November 8, 1970. Together with Chris DeWolfe, Myspace was born in 2003.
1. Early Life/Education
Not much is known about his family but his father was an entrepreneur like Tom ended up to be.
For his high school education, Tom studied at San Pasqual High in Escondido, California.
Tom attended both the University of California, Berkeley and the University of California, Los Angeles.
After living for a while in Taiwan, Tom returned to the United States to study for a degree in Critical Film Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles.
In his words:
“If you knew me before Myspace, you’d probably thought I’d have been a scholar teaching philosophy in a university my whole life. If you met me before college, you’d probably have thought I’d be a musician for my entire life … I like change.”
2. Escaped Prosecution For Hacking
At 14, Anderson was already a computer hacker under the pseudonym “Lord Flathead”.
His activities attracted the attention of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) after he cracked the security of Chase Manhattan Bank. Because he was still in his teens, he was not arrested.
See Also: 15 Obvious Signs That You Might Be A Potential Photojournalist
3. Loves Entertainment
To have studied a film-related course in the University, Tom definitely has a serious interest in entertainment. Tom made a Cameo appearance in an Adam Sandler’s Funny People film in 2009.
According to him, he spent a heavy part of his pre-collegiate days in music.
Did you know that he is a good vocalist and guitarist?
4. First Digital Experience
One of Anderson’s early jobs was a product tester and copywriter at XDrive, a digital storage company in 2000. This was where he first met DeWolfe who would later become another co-founder of Myspace.
Tom who is estimated to have a net worth of $60 million later worked at eUniverse which was founded by internet entrepreneur Brad Greenspan.
See Also: 21 Self Made Billionaires Who Are College Dropouts
Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation bought Myspace for $580 million in 2005.
The popularity of the social platform declined with the inception of Facebook. Prior to that, Myspace had 1,600 employees.
In 2009, the company laid off 30% of the workforce, reducing it to 100 workers. By 2011 it had gone down to 400 employees.
Eventually Myspace was sold off to Specific Media Group and Justin Timberlake jointly purchased the company for approximately $35 million. Last year it was announced that Myspace and its parent company had been bought by Time Inc.
With all of its ups and downs, Myspace was ranked in 2017 as the 3,178 by total Web traffic, and 1,650 in the United States
2 years ago, it had a recorded 50.6 million unique monthly visitors with nearly 1 billion active and inactive registered users.
6. Doesn’t Mind Using Or Working With Facebook
Even though Zuckerberg gave Tom a run for his money with Facebook, the happy and talented entrepreneur did not mind being a part of the FB family in 2005.
Anderson is very much active on Facebook and other social media platforms like Reddit, Twitter and Google+ with 6.5 million followers as of March 2016.
7. Life After Myspace
So What Has Tom Anderson Been Up To Since Myspace?
Aside the cameo appearance in the Adam Sandler film in 2009, Tom has tried his hands on a range of things. For one, he gave a shot at developing a baseball team in Las Vegas though it did not end as anticipated.
Tom Anderson currently serves as an advisor to RocketFrog, a company he’s been a part of since May 2012.
“The truth is, I don’t want a ‘job.’ I’ve never thought about my life in terms of ‘jobs.’ I’ve thought about my life in terms of what’s interesting to me.”
8. Outdoor Enthusiast
During a 2014 interview with ABC News, Anderson expressed his love in travel photography.
“I’m not necessarily trying to represent nature exactly. I’m trying to make something beautiful like a painter would.”
Tom Anderson is now occupied with the hobby of traveling the world and exploring landscape and nature photography.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- 7 New Year Resolutions For Africans Who Love Africa
- Top 5 Unpleasant Things You Should Never Do On A First Date
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku