Some unidentified smugglers in Nigeria may be reeling in agony following the seizure of some goods brought into the country through the backdoor.
Custom officials posing with a sample of the goods intercepted
The Nigerian Customs has announced the seizure of illegal goods worth N607 million.
It was learnt that customs officers with the Federal Operations Unit (FOU) ‘A’, intercepted smuggled goods with a Duty Paid Value (DPV) of Three Hundred and Thirty-Four Million, Forty Two Thousand, Three Hundred and Ninety Six Naira, Eight kobo (N334,042,396) only between the months of 1st April to 12th June, 2017.
The Controller in charge of the Unit, Comptroller Mohammed Uba Garba made this known to newsmen on Wednesday, 14th June 2017, while giving an account of his stewardship since he assumed office.
Garba said the Unit also recovered Two Hundred and Seventy-Three Million, Six Hundred and Seventy-Five Thousand, One Hundred and Thirty-Eight Naira, Seventy-Five Kobo only (N273,675,138.75) from duty payments and demand notices on goods that tried to beat the system and 10 suspects were arrested in connection with the seizures in the period under review.
He further mentioned that 152 different seizures were recorded comprising vegetable oil, foreign parboiled rice, frozen poultry products, smuggled vehicles, India hemp, used tyres and general merchandise Six Hundred and Seven Million, Seven Hundred and Seventeen Thousand, Five Hundred and Thirty Five Naira, Fifty Five Kobo only (N607,717,535.55) between the month of April 1st to June 12th 2017 making it a landslide in recent times.
“You will agree with me that smuggling is a global phenomenon which cannot be curbed entirely but can be brought to its barest minimum. I have to praise the commitment and diligence of the officers and men of the unit for thwarting the antics of some dare-devil smugglers, who used different methods for concealment” he said.
Compt. Uba said the Unit also intercepted 384 parcels of Indian hemp concealed inside six bales of second-hand clothing from Ghana along Iyana-Ipaja road. In the spirit of inter-agency relationship, the suspects and the contents were handed over to the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency for prosecution in a court of competent jurisdiction.
“Based on intelligence report, the Unit have seized five containers that contravened Customs law over false declaration and breach of import prohibition list by trade. Two of the containers were laden with 4,982 pieces of used tyres, while others were laden with 1,292 pieces of vehicle batteries and piston ring compressors”
He thanked the management of the Nigeria Customs Service under the leadership of Col. Hameed Ibrahim Ali (Rtd) for the motivation and support that led to this great feat.
He also called on Nigerians to support the anti-smuggling drive of the service, as this will encourage our indigenous industries and create job opportunities for Nigerians.
Latest Nigeria News
- Scientists Are Working On A Device That Could Generate Electricity From Human Blood
- Check Out This Guide On What The Colour Of Your Urine Could Mean
- Roulette: History and Everything Else You Should Know
- 6 Things You Should Not Do During Your Period – Women’s Health
- Morocco To Test The ‘Fastest Train In Africa’
- Pixel Buds: Google Developed Earbuds That Translate 40 Languages In Real-Time
- Ntando Mahlangu: The 15-Year-Old Blade Runner Making South Africa Proud
- China’s Wicked New Way To Force Debtors To Pay Up
- Akon Lighting Africa Initiative: Singer Takes Power To Mozambique
- This Is How Contact Lenses Could Harm Your Eyesight
- Diwali: 5 Things You Should Know About The Indian Light Festival
- Black Or White: Who Should Exercise More?
- Remember Haile Selassie? Grandson Weds His Princess In A Lavish Ceremony [Photos]
- Baby Kicks: 7 Quick Facts You Didn’t Know
- Panama Papers Journalist Killed In Malta: 5 Answers To Questions You Have
- World Food Day: Preventing Food Waste In Your Own Home
- The Different Shades Of Joy: World Happiness Report 2017
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark