Some unidentified smugglers in Nigeria may be reeling in agony following the seizure of some goods brought into the country through the backdoor.
Custom officials posing with a sample of the goods intercepted
The Nigerian Customs has announced the seizure of illegal goods worth N607 million.
It was learnt that customs officers with the Federal Operations Unit (FOU) ‘A’, intercepted smuggled goods with a Duty Paid Value (DPV) of Three Hundred and Thirty-Four Million, Forty Two Thousand, Three Hundred and Ninety Six Naira, Eight kobo (N334,042,396) only between the months of 1st April to 12th June, 2017.
The Controller in charge of the Unit, Comptroller Mohammed Uba Garba made this known to newsmen on Wednesday, 14th June 2017, while giving an account of his stewardship since he assumed office.
Garba said the Unit also recovered Two Hundred and Seventy-Three Million, Six Hundred and Seventy-Five Thousand, One Hundred and Thirty-Eight Naira, Seventy-Five Kobo only (N273,675,138.75) from duty payments and demand notices on goods that tried to beat the system and 10 suspects were arrested in connection with the seizures in the period under review.
He further mentioned that 152 different seizures were recorded comprising vegetable oil, foreign parboiled rice, frozen poultry products, smuggled vehicles, India hemp, used tyres and general merchandise Six Hundred and Seven Million, Seven Hundred and Seventeen Thousand, Five Hundred and Thirty Five Naira, Fifty Five Kobo only (N607,717,535.55) between the month of April 1st to June 12th 2017 making it a landslide in recent times.
“You will agree with me that smuggling is a global phenomenon which cannot be curbed entirely but can be brought to its barest minimum. I have to praise the commitment and diligence of the officers and men of the unit for thwarting the antics of some dare-devil smugglers, who used different methods for concealment” he said.
Compt. Uba said the Unit also intercepted 384 parcels of Indian hemp concealed inside six bales of second-hand clothing from Ghana along Iyana-Ipaja road. In the spirit of inter-agency relationship, the suspects and the contents were handed over to the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency for prosecution in a court of competent jurisdiction.
“Based on intelligence report, the Unit have seized five containers that contravened Customs law over false declaration and breach of import prohibition list by trade. Two of the containers were laden with 4,982 pieces of used tyres, while others were laden with 1,292 pieces of vehicle batteries and piston ring compressors”
He thanked the management of the Nigeria Customs Service under the leadership of Col. Hameed Ibrahim Ali (Rtd) for the motivation and support that led to this great feat.
He also called on Nigerians to support the anti-smuggling drive of the service, as this will encourage our indigenous industries and create job opportunities for Nigerians.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me