Some unidentified smugglers in Nigeria may be reeling in agony following the seizure of some goods brought into the country through the backdoor.
Custom officials posing with a sample of the goods intercepted
The Nigerian Customs has announced the seizure of illegal goods worth N607 million.
It was learnt that customs officers with the Federal Operations Unit (FOU) ‘A’, intercepted smuggled goods with a Duty Paid Value (DPV) of Three Hundred and Thirty-Four Million, Forty Two Thousand, Three Hundred and Ninety Six Naira, Eight kobo (N334,042,396) only between the months of 1st April to 12th June, 2017.
The Controller in charge of the Unit, Comptroller Mohammed Uba Garba made this known to newsmen on Wednesday, 14th June 2017, while giving an account of his stewardship since he assumed office.
Garba said the Unit also recovered Two Hundred and Seventy-Three Million, Six Hundred and Seventy-Five Thousand, One Hundred and Thirty-Eight Naira, Seventy-Five Kobo only (N273,675,138.75) from duty payments and demand notices on goods that tried to beat the system and 10 suspects were arrested in connection with the seizures in the period under review.
He further mentioned that 152 different seizures were recorded comprising vegetable oil, foreign parboiled rice, frozen poultry products, smuggled vehicles, India hemp, used tyres and general merchandise Six Hundred and Seven Million, Seven Hundred and Seventeen Thousand, Five Hundred and Thirty Five Naira, Fifty Five Kobo only (N607,717,535.55) between the month of April 1st to June 12th 2017 making it a landslide in recent times.
“You will agree with me that smuggling is a global phenomenon which cannot be curbed entirely but can be brought to its barest minimum. I have to praise the commitment and diligence of the officers and men of the unit for thwarting the antics of some dare-devil smugglers, who used different methods for concealment” he said.
Compt. Uba said the Unit also intercepted 384 parcels of Indian hemp concealed inside six bales of second-hand clothing from Ghana along Iyana-Ipaja road. In the spirit of inter-agency relationship, the suspects and the contents were handed over to the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency for prosecution in a court of competent jurisdiction.
“Based on intelligence report, the Unit have seized five containers that contravened Customs law over false declaration and breach of import prohibition list by trade. Two of the containers were laden with 4,982 pieces of used tyres, while others were laden with 1,292 pieces of vehicle batteries and piston ring compressors”
He thanked the management of the Nigeria Customs Service under the leadership of Col. Hameed Ibrahim Ali (Rtd) for the motivation and support that led to this great feat.
He also called on Nigerians to support the anti-smuggling drive of the service, as this will encourage our indigenous industries and create job opportunities for Nigerians.
Latest Nigeria News
- 38 Years Later Angolans Go To The Polls To Finally Replace President Dos Santos
- Eva Echeverria: Johnson & Johnson Talcum Powder Linked To Ovarian Cancer
- President Buhari To Work From Home; Blames It On Rats
- Botswana Warns China Against Interfering In Its Decisions
- Former Libyan Prime Minister Kidnapped
- Ghana: First Lady Proposes 5 Months Maternity Leave For Women
- The Nokia 8 Is Coming Soon And It’s Bringing The Bothie to Replace Your Selfie
- Global Agenda: How To Play The Online Team-based Game
- Veronica Porsche Ali: All You Need To Know About Ali’s Third Ex-Wife
- 5 Misconceptions About Having A Hot Wife
- Sierra Leone: Mass Burial Service As Death Toll Increases To 500
- How The Mugabes Stole the Show Again At SADC
- USS John S. McCain: US Navy Ship Collides With Oil Tanker Near Singapore
- Serial Spain Terrorist Attacks Leave 13 Dead; Over 100 Injured
- Keo Motsepe: Get To Know This South African Dancer
- Proof Rapper: Eminem’s Best Friend, In Life And Death
- Adebayo Ogunlesi: Trump Fires His Nigerian Economic Adviser On Twitter
- Eskimi: How To Use This Social Network
- Benzoic Acid: Health Effects And All You Need To Know
- Kenya Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism Of Its Elements
- Senegalese Music: The Women And Men Dominating The Scene
- Jacaranda Tree: What You Need To Know About This Beauty
- How To Dab: Dance Origin And Why Everyone Is Doing It
- Make A Stressful Time Bearable By Doing These
- Nnedi Okoroafor Is Taking Lagos, Nigeria To The Comic World
- Anonymous Logo: What The Hactivists Want You To Know About Them
- Ethiopian Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism
- Using Poop To Cook In Kenya
- Mr Popo: Everything About The Strongest Character in Dragon Ball Z
- Sierra Leone: Over 300 People Killed In Mudslide
- Burkina Faso: Gunmen Attack Ouagadougou Restaurant, killing 18
- New Study: Top 5 Things That Can Give You Cancer
- Porous Definition, Meaning, Synonyms And Sentence Use
- Bitcoin Surge: All The Possible Reasons Why The Cryptocurrency Has Broken Past $4000
- Kenya Elects First Female Governors Amidst Post-election Tension
- New Study: Vitamin B3 Intake Could Prevent Miscarriages & Birth Defects
- How Tall Is Putin And Other Facts About The Russian President
- Time In Nigeria: The Concept Of Nigerian Time
- Election Time In Kenya: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- Isaac Makwala: Runner Denied Entry To London Stadium And Africa Wants To Know Why