The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission today June 16,2017 arraigned a former United Bank For Africa(UBA) branch Manager, Florence Onome Odior and four others namely; Orion Sunday, (her husband) ,Patricia Jegede a.k.a Joe Nek Services, Joseph Alexander Esiso, Zackary Petroleum Nigeria Limited and Tegha and Associates Nigeria Limited before Justice Ohimai Ovbiagele of the federal high court sitting in Benin, Edo State.
They were arraigned on a 19 count charge bothering on Stealing, forgery, obtaining under false pretence,uttering and conspiracy to defraud contrary to section 467(2)(d) of the criminal code laws of Edo State of Nigeria, 2006.
The former bank manger while a branch manager in 2012 defrauded one Moses Obozokhae to the tune fifty million eight hunded and fourth thousand naira only using a forged and uttered document titled: United Bank for Africa Certificate of deposit with reference No TDO9990001445 dated 2nd August 2012 .
One of the charges reads: that you Florence Onome Odior sometimes in 2012 whilst being a branch manager in the employment of United Bank for Africa (UBA) in Benin, Edo State within the jurisdiction of this honourable court with intent to defraud did steal by converting to your personal use the sum of N 85,840,000,00( Eight Five Million Eight Hundred and Fourty thousand Naira Only) property of Moses Obozohae.
When the charges were read to them, they all pleaded not guilty.
Consequently the prosecution counsel, Mustapha Aliyu prayed the judge for an overturn of their administrative bail asking that they be remanded in prison custody as they have all jumped bail and asked for a shortets possible time for commencement of trial .
Counsel to the 1&2 Accused persons , C.J. Ekegwuba reminded the court that today was for plea taking and bail hearing
prosecution counsel responded that he had countered the bail application presented by his colleagues and had submitted same this morning.
C.J.Ekegwuba told the court that the offence her clients is charged for is not a capital offence and they have never had any criminal record adding that they have never jumped bail and needed medical attention now as 1st accused is sick moreover they have been on administrative bail hence the need to be considered.
Counsels to 3rd, 4th and 5th accused persons aligned their position with counsel to the 1&2 accused.
Prosecution counsel however told the court that he didn’t see any reason of them continuing with the administrative bail as they have jumped bail and can also be attended to at the Nigerian prison adding that in Nigerian prison, you are treated and even feed for free all at no cost.
After listening to all the counsels argument, justice Ohimai Ovbiagele adjoined to Thursday, June 24,2017 for ruling on continuation of bail and 12 and 13 July ,2017 for commencement of trial .
Latest Nigeria News
- Scientists Are Working On A Device That Could Generate Electricity From Human Blood
- Check Out This Guide On What The Colour Of Your Urine Could Mean
- Roulette: History and Everything Else You Should Know
- 6 Things You Should Not Do During Your Period – Women’s Health
- Morocco To Test The ‘Fastest Train In Africa’
- Pixel Buds: Google Developed Earbuds That Translate 40 Languages In Real-Time
- Ntando Mahlangu: The 15-Year-Old Blade Runner Making South Africa Proud
- China’s Wicked New Way To Force Debtors To Pay Up
- Akon Lighting Africa Initiative: Singer Takes Power To Mozambique
- This Is How Contact Lenses Could Harm Your Eyesight
- Diwali: 5 Things You Should Know About The Indian Light Festival
- Black Or White: Who Should Exercise More?
- Remember Haile Selassie? Grandson Weds His Princess In A Lavish Ceremony [Photos]
- Baby Kicks: 7 Quick Facts You Didn’t Know
- Panama Papers Journalist Killed In Malta: 5 Answers To Questions You Have
- World Food Day: Preventing Food Waste In Your Own Home
- The Different Shades Of Joy: World Happiness Report 2017
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark