The Immediate past first lady, Patience Jonathan, has been shortlisted among other prominent Igbo politicians to run for president in 2019 by a coalition of Igbo groups.
The Igbo groups, which shortlisted the personalities include; the World Igbo Youth Congress (WIYC) the Igbo Students’ Association (ISA) and the South-East Women Professionals (SWP). The coalition said it shortlisted the following persons as presidential candidates of Igbo extraction as listed below:
1. Deputy Senate president, Chief Ike Ekweremadu,
2. Former Anambra governor, Peter Obi,
3. Imo state governor, Rochas Okorocha,
4. Former Abia Governor, Orji Uzor Kalu,
5. immediate past first lady, Dame Patience Jonathan,
6. Air Comodore Ebitu Ukiwe, (rtd.),
7. Lt. Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika (rtd.),
8. Oby Ezekwesili
9. Prof. Pat Utomi,
10. Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu,
11. Senator Anyim Pius Anyim,
12. Senator Hope Uzodinma,
It said more persons will pass through screening by the Igbo Presidency Project Committee. The groups said they will align with the position of the Ohanaeze Youth Council Worldwide to begin an aggressive campaign for Igbo presidency, adding that funds will be mobilized across the world for their campaign.
They also declared that the Igbo leaders who recently had a meeting with acting president, Yemi Osinbajo do not represent Ndigbo in any form but their personal interests. The groups made the statement in a communiqué signed by Dr. Ugwu Francis, Deputy President General, WIYC, Comrade Francis Njoku and Glory Izuora, President and secretary, respectively of ISA, and Dr. Mrs. Nkem Nwuzor and Dr. Mrs. Helen Dike-Orji on behalf of the SWP.
The communiqué read in part: “We are outraged over the recent self-serving visit of some Igbo leaders to the Aso Villa Abuja. While we respect their right as Nigerians to visit any place of their choice, we are against the use of such trips for the pursuant of personal glory and goals. “We observed with dismay that rather than present basic issues affecting the Igbo nation, they merely went there singing songs of ‘Nigeria unity.’
“It is a common knowledge that Ndigbo are grossly marginalized in every sphere of the nation, including the position of presidency.
“These cries of marginalization have consistently fueled Biafra agitation and the only way to end these agitations is to demonstrate, not just in words, but in practical terms that Ndigbo are part owners of the Nigeria project. “Consequently, we declare that those hosted by Osinbajo did not represent Ndigbo in any form but their personal interests
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill