The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Bayelssa has created additional ten centres in the state for the ongoing Continuous Voters Registration (CVR).
Mr Clement Oha, Director and Administrative Secretary of the Commission in Bayelsa, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Saturday in Yenagoa that the centres were created to to ease the challenge posed by the difficult terrain in the state.
NAN reports that the nation-wide CVR, began in April with nine centres in the state.
This brings to 19 the number of centres in the state.
“INEC already knows the terrain in Bayelsa and the difficulties in transportation, so, we will continue to do all that we can do to ensure that no eligible persons is disenfranchised.
“The new centres were part of the Commission’s efforts to decentralise the exercise as centres get closer to the people; we seek support of the stakeholders to ensure that the exercise is hitch free.
“Well, so far so good, the registration exercise has recorded some success; people’s turnout is courageous,” he said.
When NAN visited the Onopa, Yenagoa Local Government Area centre, INEC officers were present and the exercise was orderly.
An Officer at the centre, who refused to mention his name said the exercise had been smooth since it began in April, the turnout has been “great”.
“It has been smooth, the turnout is okay ,” the officer said.
Mr Joy Apreala, commended INEC for putting the registration early before the 2019 elections.
“Yes, on the additional ten centres in the state, is a welcome development and at least it will give opportunity to many eligible persons to register,” Apreala said.
culled from NAN
Latest Nigeria News
- Morocco To Test The ‘Fastest Train In Africa’
- Pixel Buds: Google Developed Earbuds That Translate 40 Languages In Real-Time
- Ntando Mahlangu: The 15-Year-Old Blade Runner Making South Africa Proud
- China’s Wicked New Way To Force Debtors To Pay Up
- Akon Lighting Africa Initiative: Singer Takes Power To Mozambique
- This Is How Contact Lenses Could Harm Your Eyesight
- Diwali: 5 Things You Should Know About The Indian Light Festival
- Black Or White: Who Should Exercise More?
- Remember Haile Selassie? Grandson Weds His Princess In A Lavish Ceremony [Photos]
- Baby Kicks: 7 Quick Facts You Didn’t Know
- Panama Papers Journalist Killed In Malta: 5 Answers To Questions You Have
- World Food Day: Preventing Food Waste In Your Own Home
- The Different Shades Of Joy: World Happiness Report 2017
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark
- Five Quick Facts About Ghana’s Recent Gas Explosion
- Madagascar Plague: All You Need To Know
- The Honeymoon Tradition: 5 Historical Facts You Did Not Know
- Thieves On The Chest