The Registrar of Delta State Polytechnic, Ogwashi-Uku, Mr. Collins Onyenwenu, who was abducted last weekend by unknown gunmen, has regained his freedom after reportedly paying a ransom of N5 million.
The registrar was released on Tuesday after four days in captivity.
The gunmen seized Mr. Onyenwenu around 3.30 pm last Saturday. He was at the time traveling in his official car along Ugiliamai/Onitcha-Ukwu Road in Ndokwa East Local Government Area of the state.
Reports indicated that the Kidnappers had initially demanded a ransom of N30 million, adding that they reduced the amount to N20 million and finally to N5 million, which was paid to secure the registrar’s release. The registrar’s abduction was allegedly connected to the polytechnic’s recent sacking of 200 employees.
Confirming the release of the registrar, a senior lecturer at the Polytechnic opined that he and some staff of the institution believe the kidnappers came from among the more than 200 employees laid off by the Polytechnic. According to the lecturer, many of the sacked employees had in 2015 paid the registrar bribes of between N150, 000 and N200, 000 in order to secure employment at the institution. Governor Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta State recently dismissed many of those employees.
“The truth is that these persons spent fortunes to secure their appointments. And they paid the huge sums to the registrar, Collins Onyenwenu, during the administration of Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan. All the employees were duly issued employment letters and went through the biometrics screening in Asaba. All of a sudden, when Governor Ifeanyi Okowa assumed office, the appointments were invalidated on the grounds that the workers did not go through the normal process.”
“A day after the registrar was kidnapped, at night the kidnappers went to the residence in Ogwashi-Uku of the registrar’s cousin, named Collins. Collins was not at home. The kidnappers left a message with his wife to pass on to him. They said the registrar should refund all the monies he collected in exchange for facilitating their failed employment. They threatened to kill him [the registrar] if he failed to comply.”
The freed registrar said his kidnap had nothing to do with employment issues at the Polytechnic, adding that those who kidnapped him were Fulani herdsmen.
On the reported N5 million ransom, the registrar insisted he did not pay any ransom to his kidnappers.
“I was kidnapped at Ugiliamai along Iselegu-Utagba Uno-Obiaruku Road and taken to Ossisa where I was released,” he said.
The Delta State Police Public Relations Officer, Andrew Aniamaka, stated that no arrests had been made so far, adding that the investigation was continuing.
Latest Nigeria News
- Interesting Seriousness Quotes To Help You Succeed This Year
- Food Lovers Market: Everything You Need To Know
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me