The Katsina judicial commission of inquiry on missing funds and properties has said Ibrahim Shema, a former governor, allegedly diverted N58.5 billion from state coffers.
Ado Ma’aji, chairman of the commission, said N58.5 billion was unaccounted for by the previous administration.
He made this known while presenting the commission’s report to Aminu Masari, the state governor, on Sunday.
The amount is N3 billion higher than the initial N55.5 billion the commission had identified in its interim report – a difference which he said was the outcome of “painstaking and critical” verification exercise.
He said more than N17.9 billion was found to have been diverted under the subsidy reinvestment programme (SURE-P) and that over N14.9 billion went unaccounted for under the state’s roads maintenance agency (KASROMA).
He also said more than N10.1 billion was also unaccounted for in the activities of the ministry of environment, department of community development, special duties, girl child education and Almajiri affairs.
He added that over N15.4 billion was also missing from the activities of the ministry of local government and chieftaincy affairs as well as the association of local governments of Nigeria (ALGON).
Ma’aji said the bulk of the amount was withdrawn from the state’s joint local account into ALGON’s account.
He cited an instance of “87 cheques of between N9 million and N10 million withdrawn in cash on the same day”.
“89 withdrawals were made on May 28, 2015, which was the twilight of Shema’s administration in the state,” he said.
The governor vowed to use “all legal means” to recover the money allegedly diverted by Shema’s administration.
Masari said the state government was only investigating direct withdrawals from bank accounts belonging to ministries and parastatals.
He said that a white paper on the issue would soon be forwarded to the state ministry of justice “for legal consideration”.
“The amount in question is so huge that it cannot be a mistake,” he said. “If we have such money, we would have transformed the state and made it much better than what it is now.
“Government will take immediate action on officials found to be involved. We’ll look at the system and those wrongs not connected to individuals would be checked to forestall future occurrence.”
Reacting to the allegation, Shema said he was being witch-hunted by his predecessor.
Speaking through Oluwabusola Olawale, one of his aides, Shema denied committing the alleged fraud during his tenure.
He also said he executed “meaningful projects” for the development of the state.
Latest Nigeria News
- 38 Years Later Angolans Go To The Polls To Finally Replace President Dos Santos
- Eva Echeverria: Johnson & Johnson Talcum Powder Linked To Ovarian Cancer
- President Buhari To Work From Home; Blames It On Rats
- Botswana Warns China Against Interfering In Its Decisions
- Former Libyan Prime Minister Kidnapped
- Ghana: First Lady Proposes 5 Months Maternity Leave For Women
- The Nokia 8 Is Coming Soon And It’s Bringing The Bothie to Replace Your Selfie
- Global Agenda: How To Play The Online Team-based Game
- Veronica Porsche Ali: All You Need To Know About Ali’s Third Ex-Wife
- 5 Misconceptions About Having A Hot Wife
- Sierra Leone: Mass Burial Service As Death Toll Increases To 500
- How The Mugabes Stole the Show Again At SADC
- USS John S. McCain: US Navy Ship Collides With Oil Tanker Near Singapore
- Serial Spain Terrorist Attacks Leave 13 Dead; Over 100 Injured
- Keo Motsepe: Get To Know This South African Dancer
- Proof Rapper: Eminem’s Best Friend, In Life And Death
- Adebayo Ogunlesi: Trump Fires His Nigerian Economic Adviser On Twitter
- Eskimi: How To Use This Social Network
- Benzoic Acid: Health Effects And All You Need To Know
- Kenya Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism Of Its Elements
- Senegalese Music: The Women And Men Dominating The Scene
- Jacaranda Tree: What You Need To Know About This Beauty
- How To Dab: Dance Origin And Why Everyone Is Doing It
- Make A Stressful Time Bearable By Doing These
- Nnedi Okoroafor Is Taking Lagos, Nigeria To The Comic World
- Anonymous Logo: What The Hactivists Want You To Know About Them
- Ethiopian Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism
- Using Poop To Cook In Kenya
- Mr Popo: Everything About The Strongest Character in Dragon Ball Z
- Sierra Leone: Over 300 People Killed In Mudslide
- Burkina Faso: Gunmen Attack Ouagadougou Restaurant, killing 18
- New Study: Top 5 Things That Can Give You Cancer
- Porous Definition, Meaning, Synonyms And Sentence Use
- Bitcoin Surge: All The Possible Reasons Why The Cryptocurrency Has Broken Past $4000
- Kenya Elects First Female Governors Amidst Post-election Tension
- New Study: Vitamin B3 Intake Could Prevent Miscarriages & Birth Defects
- How Tall Is Putin And Other Facts About The Russian President
- Time In Nigeria: The Concept Of Nigerian Time
- Election Time In Kenya: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- Isaac Makwala: Runner Denied Entry To London Stadium And Africa Wants To Know Why