The Department of State Services (DSS) has gone tough on Nigerians threatening a break-up of the country and embarking on hate campaigns.
The DSS vowed on Sunday to unmask the masterminds and their sponsors and prosecute them in line with the laws of the land.
In a reaction to the growing threat and ultimatum to some Nigerians to leave their abodes in both the northern and southern parts of the nation, the DSS declared that it would not fold its hands while criminal elements threaten the unity and cohesion of the country.
In a statement the security agency issued on Sunday, through its spokesman, Mr. Tony Opuiyo, the Service said that it had watched the disturbing trend by “desperate and mischievous elements to steer the ship of our nationhood to calamity and irretrievable destruction.”
The DSS recalled that recently, the Arewa youths in a press statement called for the relocation of the Igbo from the North, an unfortunate development which, it noted, had been followed by a release from an unknown source styled: Niger Delta Watchdogs, threatening northerners to quit the Niger Delta region.
It further said that another group went as far as “harvesting from the internet, a horrific accident scene, for the purpose of making it look like a site of massacre of the Igbo ethnic group by northern youths.
1. The Department of State Services (DSS) has watched with keen interest the disturbing trend desperate and mischievous elements have tended to steer the ship of our nationhood to calamity and irretrievable destruction. Only recently, the Arewa Youths in a press statement called for the relocation of the Igbos from the North. Unfortunately, this development has been followed by a release from an unknown source styled, Niger Delta Watchdogs, threatening all Northerners to quit Niger Delta region. Meanwhile, another group went to the extent of harvesting from the internet, a horrific accident scene, for the purpose of making it look like a site of massacre of Igbo ethnic group by Northern youths. However, the Service has been able to establish that the purported murder scene being depicted as a field of massacre was a high casualty accident scene which occurred along Owo-Akure road, Ondo State, on 3rd March, 2016. Those involved in these misleading and despicable acts have since been warned to desist from anything capable of causing disaffection and stoking nationwide tensions.
2.Consequently, the Service, in line with its statutory mandate of ensuring the internal security of the Country, wishes to inform the public that it will stop at nothing to deploy all resources at its disposal to identify and deal with all those culpable, as well as maintain peace and order in every length and breadth of the Nation.
3.To this effect, it warns, in very clear terms, all those who are charting the course of disunity among Nigerians to desist from their divisive actions. The Service is also not oblivious of the efforts of some miscreants to ignite fear and cause ethnic tensions across the country. It strongly condemns in its entirety the call for relocation of anyone to places against their wishes. Such relocation order is not only illegal, but it is strongly viewed to be against the spirit of our Constitution which allows for freedoms of movement and association among others.
4.The DSS, therefore, frowns at the tendency some ethnic chauvinists easily and cheaply resort to hate speeches, misinformation and total manipulation of information especially on the social media simply to fan the embers of discord and subvert the efforts of government in implementing its policies for the good of everyone.
5.Well-meaning and law abiding citizens and residents are enjoined to disregard persuasions by these tribal jingoists to make our beloved country a theatre of the absurd and bloodletting. It is time for us, Nigerians, to show our humanness and patriotism which have been our defining strength as one united indivisible nation. The Service has already commenced a detailed investigation to get the perpetrators of these hate campaigns as well as their sponsors. At the appropriate time all those involved in these condemnable acts will be unmasked and decisively dealt with in line with the laws of the land.
6.The Service wants to reassure the entire populace that it will not leave any stone unturned to ensure that those who are bent on causing a breakdown of law and order are not spared. Meanwhile, anyone with useful information is also encouraged to volunteer same to the Service or the nearest security agency/formation for prompt action.
Department of State Services,
18th June, 2017
Latest Nigeria News
- Showcase Synonyms – 20 Words That Can Be Used Instead
- Synonyms And Antonyms Of Spirit You Can Use Anytime
- Darwin’s Theory Ban: Turkey Disagrees With Man’s Evolution From Apes
- 4 Reasons FIFA Is Finding It Hard To Get Sponsors For The 2018 World Cup
- Nike To Release A New Performance Hijab For Muslim Female Athletes
- African Widowhood: Remembering The Plight Of Widows In Our Society
- The South African Human Lamb Story And Bestiality Concerns In Africa
- Meet The Four Beautiful Women That Won Beyonce’s ‘Formation’ Scholarship Program
- Kelechi Iheanacho: Chronicles Of The Manchester City Star
- Queens Of Africa: The Women Who Have Shaped Africa As Illustrated By Onyinye Iwu
- Dangling Children: 3 Times Parents Sent Wrong Signals To The World
- Grenfell Tower: Top 10 Lessons To Learn From The London Fire
- Jair Bolsonaro: Five Ways This Brazil’s Presidential Candidate Is Like Donald Trump
- Why You Should Trade On Tonaton And How To Sign Up For Free
- Bamako Resort Attack: Why Foreigners Are Constant Targets In Mali
- Vehicle-Ramming Attacks: Three Ways Terrorism Has Changed In Recent Times
- Beyonce’s Twins And Five Times The Superstar Was Nigerian Culture Goals
- Ethiopia: Archaeologists Have Just Discovered An Ancient Islamic City[Photos]
- 7 Important Things Your Dad May Need To Hear This Fathers Day
- 5 Things To Not Do On Fathers Day
- Egypt: Parents Who Give Their Children Western Names Could Face A Jail Term
- Abu Dhabi: Mosque Gets Renamed After Mary, The Mother Of Jesus
- Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi: Russia May Have Killed ISIS Boss
- Femi Aribisala: The Igbo Tribe Have Been A Great Credit To Nigeria
- Natasha Elcock: London Tower Inferno Survivor Shares Miraculous Escape
- Gift Ideas For Your Father Ahead Of Fathers Day
- China’s World Cup Ambitions: FIFA President Gianni Infantino Meets President Xi
- Man Mistaken For Former Ivory Coast President Beaten In France
- Ramadan: Tunisians Demand Freedom To Break Fast
- World Blood Donor Day: 5 Reasons To Donate Blood Anyday
- White-owned Ranches In Kenya To Be Dismantled If Raila Odinga Wins In August
- Middle East Crisis: Somalia Shuns Saudi’s $80M Gift With Strings Attached
- A KFC Sandwich Is Going To The Edge Of Space
- How To Get The Beyonce No Makeup Look- Top 10 Tips
- Six People Dead In Massive Fire In London Residential Area
- Usain Bolt’s Emotional Jamaica Farewell: Four Things We Love About Him
- Africa’s Tallest Building Is Coming Soon To Nairobi
- Highest Paid Entertainers In The World- Forbes 2017 Ranking
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''