The Department of State Services (DSS) has gone tough on Nigerians threatening a break-up of the country and embarking on hate campaigns.
The DSS vowed on Sunday to unmask the masterminds and their sponsors and prosecute them in line with the laws of the land.
In a reaction to the growing threat and ultimatum to some Nigerians to leave their abodes in both the northern and southern parts of the nation, the DSS declared that it would not fold its hands while criminal elements threaten the unity and cohesion of the country.
In a statement the security agency issued on Sunday, through its spokesman, Mr. Tony Opuiyo, the Service said that it had watched the disturbing trend by “desperate and mischievous elements to steer the ship of our nationhood to calamity and irretrievable destruction.”
The DSS recalled that recently, the Arewa youths in a press statement called for the relocation of the Igbo from the North, an unfortunate development which, it noted, had been followed by a release from an unknown source styled: Niger Delta Watchdogs, threatening northerners to quit the Niger Delta region.
It further said that another group went as far as “harvesting from the internet, a horrific accident scene, for the purpose of making it look like a site of massacre of the Igbo ethnic group by northern youths.
1. The Department of State Services (DSS) has watched with keen interest the disturbing trend desperate and mischievous elements have tended to steer the ship of our nationhood to calamity and irretrievable destruction. Only recently, the Arewa Youths in a press statement called for the relocation of the Igbos from the North. Unfortunately, this development has been followed by a release from an unknown source styled, Niger Delta Watchdogs, threatening all Northerners to quit Niger Delta region. Meanwhile, another group went to the extent of harvesting from the internet, a horrific accident scene, for the purpose of making it look like a site of massacre of Igbo ethnic group by Northern youths. However, the Service has been able to establish that the purported murder scene being depicted as a field of massacre was a high casualty accident scene which occurred along Owo-Akure road, Ondo State, on 3rd March, 2016. Those involved in these misleading and despicable acts have since been warned to desist from anything capable of causing disaffection and stoking nationwide tensions.
2.Consequently, the Service, in line with its statutory mandate of ensuring the internal security of the Country, wishes to inform the public that it will stop at nothing to deploy all resources at its disposal to identify and deal with all those culpable, as well as maintain peace and order in every length and breadth of the Nation.
3.To this effect, it warns, in very clear terms, all those who are charting the course of disunity among Nigerians to desist from their divisive actions. The Service is also not oblivious of the efforts of some miscreants to ignite fear and cause ethnic tensions across the country. It strongly condemns in its entirety the call for relocation of anyone to places against their wishes. Such relocation order is not only illegal, but it is strongly viewed to be against the spirit of our Constitution which allows for freedoms of movement and association among others.
4.The DSS, therefore, frowns at the tendency some ethnic chauvinists easily and cheaply resort to hate speeches, misinformation and total manipulation of information especially on the social media simply to fan the embers of discord and subvert the efforts of government in implementing its policies for the good of everyone.
5.Well-meaning and law abiding citizens and residents are enjoined to disregard persuasions by these tribal jingoists to make our beloved country a theatre of the absurd and bloodletting. It is time for us, Nigerians, to show our humanness and patriotism which have been our defining strength as one united indivisible nation. The Service has already commenced a detailed investigation to get the perpetrators of these hate campaigns as well as their sponsors. At the appropriate time all those involved in these condemnable acts will be unmasked and decisively dealt with in line with the laws of the land.
6.The Service wants to reassure the entire populace that it will not leave any stone unturned to ensure that those who are bent on causing a breakdown of law and order are not spared. Meanwhile, anyone with useful information is also encouraged to volunteer same to the Service or the nearest security agency/formation for prompt action.
Department of State Services,
18th June, 2017
Latest Nigeria News
- Morocco To Test The ‘Fastest Train In Africa’
- Pixel Buds: Google Developed Earbuds That Translate 40 Languages In Real-Time
- Ntando Mahlangu: The 15-Year-Old Blade Runner Making South Africa Proud
- China’s Wicked New Way To Force Debtors To Pay Up
- Akon Lighting Africa Initiative: Singer Takes Power To Mozambique
- This Is How Contact Lenses Could Harm Your Eyesight
- Diwali: 5 Things You Should Know About The Indian Light Festival
- Black Or White: Who Should Exercise More?
- Remember Haile Selassie? Grandson Weds His Princess In A Lavish Ceremony [Photos]
- Baby Kicks: 7 Quick Facts You Didn’t Know
- Panama Papers Journalist Killed In Malta: 5 Answers To Questions You Have
- World Food Day: Preventing Food Waste In Your Own Home
- The Different Shades Of Joy: World Happiness Report 2017
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark
- Five Quick Facts About Ghana’s Recent Gas Explosion
- Madagascar Plague: All You Need To Know
- The Honeymoon Tradition: 5 Historical Facts You Did Not Know
- Thieves On The Chest