The Department of State Services (DSS) has gone tough on Nigerians threatening a break-up of the country and embarking on hate campaigns.
The DSS vowed on Sunday to unmask the masterminds and their sponsors and prosecute them in line with the laws of the land.
In a reaction to the growing threat and ultimatum to some Nigerians to leave their abodes in both the northern and southern parts of the nation, the DSS declared that it would not fold its hands while criminal elements threaten the unity and cohesion of the country.
In a statement the security agency issued on Sunday, through its spokesman, Mr. Tony Opuiyo, the Service said that it had watched the disturbing trend by “desperate and mischievous elements to steer the ship of our nationhood to calamity and irretrievable destruction.”
The DSS recalled that recently, the Arewa youths in a press statement called for the relocation of the Igbo from the North, an unfortunate development which, it noted, had been followed by a release from an unknown source styled: Niger Delta Watchdogs, threatening northerners to quit the Niger Delta region.
It further said that another group went as far as “harvesting from the internet, a horrific accident scene, for the purpose of making it look like a site of massacre of the Igbo ethnic group by northern youths.
1. The Department of State Services (DSS) has watched with keen interest the disturbing trend desperate and mischievous elements have tended to steer the ship of our nationhood to calamity and irretrievable destruction. Only recently, the Arewa Youths in a press statement called for the relocation of the Igbos from the North. Unfortunately, this development has been followed by a release from an unknown source styled, Niger Delta Watchdogs, threatening all Northerners to quit Niger Delta region. Meanwhile, another group went to the extent of harvesting from the internet, a horrific accident scene, for the purpose of making it look like a site of massacre of Igbo ethnic group by Northern youths. However, the Service has been able to establish that the purported murder scene being depicted as a field of massacre was a high casualty accident scene which occurred along Owo-Akure road, Ondo State, on 3rd March, 2016. Those involved in these misleading and despicable acts have since been warned to desist from anything capable of causing disaffection and stoking nationwide tensions.
2.Consequently, the Service, in line with its statutory mandate of ensuring the internal security of the Country, wishes to inform the public that it will stop at nothing to deploy all resources at its disposal to identify and deal with all those culpable, as well as maintain peace and order in every length and breadth of the Nation.
3.To this effect, it warns, in very clear terms, all those who are charting the course of disunity among Nigerians to desist from their divisive actions. The Service is also not oblivious of the efforts of some miscreants to ignite fear and cause ethnic tensions across the country. It strongly condemns in its entirety the call for relocation of anyone to places against their wishes. Such relocation order is not only illegal, but it is strongly viewed to be against the spirit of our Constitution which allows for freedoms of movement and association among others.
4.The DSS, therefore, frowns at the tendency some ethnic chauvinists easily and cheaply resort to hate speeches, misinformation and total manipulation of information especially on the social media simply to fan the embers of discord and subvert the efforts of government in implementing its policies for the good of everyone.
5.Well-meaning and law abiding citizens and residents are enjoined to disregard persuasions by these tribal jingoists to make our beloved country a theatre of the absurd and bloodletting. It is time for us, Nigerians, to show our humanness and patriotism which have been our defining strength as one united indivisible nation. The Service has already commenced a detailed investigation to get the perpetrators of these hate campaigns as well as their sponsors. At the appropriate time all those involved in these condemnable acts will be unmasked and decisively dealt with in line with the laws of the land.
6.The Service wants to reassure the entire populace that it will not leave any stone unturned to ensure that those who are bent on causing a breakdown of law and order are not spared. Meanwhile, anyone with useful information is also encouraged to volunteer same to the Service or the nearest security agency/formation for prompt action.
Department of State Services,
18th June, 2017
Latest Nigeria News
- Chioma Ajunwa: 5 Quick Facts About Nigeria’s Olympic Gold Medalist
- Tom Anderson: Fast Facts And Net Worth Of Myspace Founder
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill