The Department of State Services (DSS) has gone tough on Nigerians threatening a break-up of the country and embarking on hate campaigns.
The DSS vowed on Sunday to unmask the masterminds and their sponsors and prosecute them in line with the laws of the land.
In a reaction to the growing threat and ultimatum to some Nigerians to leave their abodes in both the northern and southern parts of the nation, the DSS declared that it would not fold its hands while criminal elements threaten the unity and cohesion of the country.
In a statement the security agency issued on Sunday, through its spokesman, Mr. Tony Opuiyo, the Service said that it had watched the disturbing trend by “desperate and mischievous elements to steer the ship of our nationhood to calamity and irretrievable destruction.”
The DSS recalled that recently, the Arewa youths in a press statement called for the relocation of the Igbo from the North, an unfortunate development which, it noted, had been followed by a release from an unknown source styled: Niger Delta Watchdogs, threatening northerners to quit the Niger Delta region.
It further said that another group went as far as “harvesting from the internet, a horrific accident scene, for the purpose of making it look like a site of massacre of the Igbo ethnic group by northern youths.
1. The Department of State Services (DSS) has watched with keen interest the disturbing trend desperate and mischievous elements have tended to steer the ship of our nationhood to calamity and irretrievable destruction. Only recently, the Arewa Youths in a press statement called for the relocation of the Igbos from the North. Unfortunately, this development has been followed by a release from an unknown source styled, Niger Delta Watchdogs, threatening all Northerners to quit Niger Delta region. Meanwhile, another group went to the extent of harvesting from the internet, a horrific accident scene, for the purpose of making it look like a site of massacre of Igbo ethnic group by Northern youths. However, the Service has been able to establish that the purported murder scene being depicted as a field of massacre was a high casualty accident scene which occurred along Owo-Akure road, Ondo State, on 3rd March, 2016. Those involved in these misleading and despicable acts have since been warned to desist from anything capable of causing disaffection and stoking nationwide tensions.
2.Consequently, the Service, in line with its statutory mandate of ensuring the internal security of the Country, wishes to inform the public that it will stop at nothing to deploy all resources at its disposal to identify and deal with all those culpable, as well as maintain peace and order in every length and breadth of the Nation.
3.To this effect, it warns, in very clear terms, all those who are charting the course of disunity among Nigerians to desist from their divisive actions. The Service is also not oblivious of the efforts of some miscreants to ignite fear and cause ethnic tensions across the country. It strongly condemns in its entirety the call for relocation of anyone to places against their wishes. Such relocation order is not only illegal, but it is strongly viewed to be against the spirit of our Constitution which allows for freedoms of movement and association among others.
4.The DSS, therefore, frowns at the tendency some ethnic chauvinists easily and cheaply resort to hate speeches, misinformation and total manipulation of information especially on the social media simply to fan the embers of discord and subvert the efforts of government in implementing its policies for the good of everyone.
5.Well-meaning and law abiding citizens and residents are enjoined to disregard persuasions by these tribal jingoists to make our beloved country a theatre of the absurd and bloodletting. It is time for us, Nigerians, to show our humanness and patriotism which have been our defining strength as one united indivisible nation. The Service has already commenced a detailed investigation to get the perpetrators of these hate campaigns as well as their sponsors. At the appropriate time all those involved in these condemnable acts will be unmasked and decisively dealt with in line with the laws of the land.
6.The Service wants to reassure the entire populace that it will not leave any stone unturned to ensure that those who are bent on causing a breakdown of law and order are not spared. Meanwhile, anyone with useful information is also encouraged to volunteer same to the Service or the nearest security agency/formation for prompt action.
Department of State Services,
18th June, 2017
Latest Nigeria News
- 38 Years Later Angolans Go To The Polls To Finally Replace President Dos Santos
- Eva Echeverria: Johnson & Johnson Talcum Powder Linked To Ovarian Cancer
- President Buhari To Work From Home; Blames It On Rats
- Botswana Warns China Against Interfering In Its Decisions
- Former Libyan Prime Minister Kidnapped
- Ghana: First Lady Proposes 5 Months Maternity Leave For Women
- The Nokia 8 Is Coming Soon And It’s Bringing The Bothie to Replace Your Selfie
- Global Agenda: How To Play The Online Team-based Game
- Veronica Porsche Ali: All You Need To Know About Ali’s Third Ex-Wife
- 5 Misconceptions About Having A Hot Wife
- Sierra Leone: Mass Burial Service As Death Toll Increases To 500
- How The Mugabes Stole the Show Again At SADC
- USS John S. McCain: US Navy Ship Collides With Oil Tanker Near Singapore
- Serial Spain Terrorist Attacks Leave 13 Dead; Over 100 Injured
- Keo Motsepe: Get To Know This South African Dancer
- Proof Rapper: Eminem’s Best Friend, In Life And Death
- Adebayo Ogunlesi: Trump Fires His Nigerian Economic Adviser On Twitter
- Eskimi: How To Use This Social Network
- Benzoic Acid: Health Effects And All You Need To Know
- Kenya Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism Of Its Elements
- Senegalese Music: The Women And Men Dominating The Scene
- Jacaranda Tree: What You Need To Know About This Beauty
- How To Dab: Dance Origin And Why Everyone Is Doing It
- Make A Stressful Time Bearable By Doing These
- Nnedi Okoroafor Is Taking Lagos, Nigeria To The Comic World
- Anonymous Logo: What The Hactivists Want You To Know About Them
- Ethiopian Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism
- Using Poop To Cook In Kenya
- Mr Popo: Everything About The Strongest Character in Dragon Ball Z
- Sierra Leone: Over 300 People Killed In Mudslide
- Burkina Faso: Gunmen Attack Ouagadougou Restaurant, killing 18
- New Study: Top 5 Things That Can Give You Cancer
- Porous Definition, Meaning, Synonyms And Sentence Use
- Bitcoin Surge: All The Possible Reasons Why The Cryptocurrency Has Broken Past $4000
- Kenya Elects First Female Governors Amidst Post-election Tension
- New Study: Vitamin B3 Intake Could Prevent Miscarriages & Birth Defects
- How Tall Is Putin And Other Facts About The Russian President
- Time In Nigeria: The Concept Of Nigerian Time
- Election Time In Kenya: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- Isaac Makwala: Runner Denied Entry To London Stadium And Africa Wants To Know Why