Acting President Yemi Osinbajo yesterday participated in this year’s Father’s Day activities at the Aso Villa Chapel, where he charged churches to purge the thieves and treasury looters in their midst as that would help sanitise the nation.
While calling on fathers to be exemplary leaders to their children and others, Osinbajo expressed worry about how those who fraudulently amassed wealth have landed the country where it is now and called on the Church to desist from holding such people in high esteem.
According to him, “Every time we come to the church, we are told about giving, but we need to talk more about honesty.
“The greed of many who are in the position of authority is what has landed this country in where it is today. You cannot steal half of the resources of the country and expect to build the sort of things you see in other places.
“Many would say the reason why they steal is because they want to have an arsenal for future political exploits. It is a lie. It is greed.
“And if the church says you are not allowed to steal and we will ostracise you in our midst if you did; if what a man has does not measure up to what he has; if we found that a man has more money than he should have; if a man is earning a salary of a civil servant or a public servant and he has houses everywhere; we have to hold him to account.
“But he must be held to account in the church. He must be told first in the church that we will not allow you here.
“If the church says we will not accept you here or that we will expose you if you are stealing the resources of the country or stealing the resources of a private company or other establishments where you work, then we would not have the type of problem that we have in this country.”
The Acting President also called on the fathers to bring up their children with the virtue of integrity and to love their wives and refrain from any forms of domestic violence.
“When I listened to His Eminence a few minutes ago, talking about the importance of the type of training we received as a child; the type of training where you were taught primarily about integrity; that you must be a person of integrity; that you must be truthful, you must be honest; that is the foundational teaching.
“Even knowing the Ten Commandment was enough to teach you about righteousness. That is so important especially for us who are Christians,” he stated.
On his part, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon Yakubu Dogara, warned against the collapse of the family system in the country, urging the government to invest more in the family.
Speaking with the newsmen shortly after the service, he said: “We should invest more, really as a nation, in fatherhood or in the family. And when children are properly brought up, you will see that most of the resources we channel towards control of crime and so many other government programmes, there will be no need for them because we will have some kinds of transformation that only take place at the family level.
“Certain things cannot be done by the government like we cannot just outsource discipline in a home, the issue of imparting or instilling morality in the life of our citizens. The government certainly cannot do that; it is the role of the family.
“So when we celebrate fathers like this, we celebrate fatherhood, we emphasise on the importance of the family as a unit in bringing up those components of society, performing its role and then turning citizens that are compliant. That, therefore, means that we won’t be spending money in fighting crime.
“When fathers do their work, the nation will have less work to do. And when next we have people in leadership who fail, who are patently corrupt, the question shouldn’t be ‘who is this?’ The question should be ‘who is the father of that person?’ I congratulate the fathers.”
Earlier in his sermon titled: “Fathers to the Rescue of Our Beloved Nation”; the Prelate of Methodist Church of Nigeria, His Eminence, Dr Samuel Kalu Uche, stated that God established the family as a basic and foundation unit of a country.
“God has made fathers as the head and this assignment must be an exercise in love, honesty, gentleness and unity. The responsibility of a father makes him be accountable to God. A father must render a selfless service and he must be faithful to his wife,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- Tanzania: Magufuli Orders Arrest And Deportation Of Gay Right Activists
- The Weird Way A No Smoking Sign Makes You Want To Smoke
- Showcase Synonyms – 20 Words That Can Be Used Instead
- Synonyms And Antonyms Of Spirit You Can Use Anytime
- Darwin’s Theory Ban: Turkey Disagrees With Man’s Evolution From Apes
- 4 Reasons FIFA Is Finding It Hard To Get Sponsors For The 2018 World Cup
- Nike To Release A New Performance Hijab For Muslim Female Athletes
- African Widowhood: Remembering The Plight Of Widows In Our Society
- The South African Human Lamb Story And Bestiality Concerns In Africa
- Meet The Four Beautiful Women That Won Beyonce’s ‘Formation’ Scholarship Program
- Kelechi Iheanacho: Chronicles Of The Manchester City Star
- Queens Of Africa: The Women Who Have Shaped Africa As Illustrated By Onyinye Iwu
- Dangling Children: 3 Times Parents Sent Wrong Signals To The World
- Grenfell Tower: Top 10 Lessons To Learn From The London Fire
- Jair Bolsonaro: Five Ways This Brazil’s Presidential Candidate Is Like Donald Trump
- Why You Should Trade On Tonaton And How To Sign Up For Free
- Bamako Resort Attack: Why Foreigners Are Constant Targets In Mali
- Vehicle-Ramming Attacks: Three Ways Terrorism Has Changed In Recent Times
- Beyonce’s Twins And Five Times The Superstar Was Nigerian Culture Goals
- Ethiopia: Archaeologists Have Just Discovered An Ancient Islamic City[Photos]
- 7 Important Things Your Dad May Need To Hear This Fathers Day
- 5 Things To Not Do On Fathers Day
- Egypt: Parents Who Give Their Children Western Names Could Face A Jail Term
- Abu Dhabi: Mosque Gets Renamed After Mary, The Mother Of Jesus
- Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi: Russia May Have Killed ISIS Boss
- Femi Aribisala: The Igbo Tribe Have Been A Great Credit To Nigeria
- Natasha Elcock: London Tower Inferno Survivor Shares Miraculous Escape
- Gift Ideas For Your Father Ahead Of Fathers Day
- China’s World Cup Ambitions: FIFA President Gianni Infantino Meets President Xi
- Man Mistaken For Former Ivory Coast President Beaten In France
- Ramadan: Tunisians Demand Freedom To Break Fast
- World Blood Donor Day: 5 Reasons To Donate Blood Anyday
- White-owned Ranches In Kenya To Be Dismantled If Raila Odinga Wins In August
- Middle East Crisis: Somalia Shuns Saudi’s $80M Gift With Strings Attached
- A KFC Sandwich Is Going To The Edge Of Space
- How To Get The Beyonce No Makeup Look- Top 10 Tips
- Six People Dead In Massive Fire In London Residential Area
- Usain Bolt’s Emotional Jamaica Farewell: Four Things We Love About Him
- Africa’s Tallest Building Is Coming Soon To Nairobi
- Thieves On The Chest