The Northern Inter-Faith and Religious Organisations has commended the leadership of the Nigerian military for the improved welfare package provided for troops fighting Boko Haram insurgents in the northeast, as well as their families, just as it said the days of self-acclaimed Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau are numbered
The clerics said the knowledge by the soldiers that their families are being properly taken care of authorities by the military authorities been a morale boaster.
“Soldiers in the battlefront hearing that their families are being looked after and loved by the military authorities has helped to bring the war to this successful point on the side of the military and our country and must be appreciated,”
General Superintendent/ Founder
NIFROP, Bishop Edward Chanmi said while briefing journalists in Abuja on Tuesday.
The Bishop said the clerics along with others Nigerians will be leading a 40 days fasting and prayer for success tthe military as they close in on Shekau.
He said they are optimistic that before the end of the 40 days prayer, the Boko Haram leader would have been captured.
While also commended the cash reward policy introduced by the Nigerian Army on valid information provided by citizens which leads to the arrest of Boko Haram terrorists, Chanmi urged citizens to volunteer useful information to the security agencies that will lead to arrest of tthe terrorists.
He said the successes in thwarting Boko Haram attacks before they occur are the products of painstaking intelligence gathering.
According to the clergyman, it is logical to assume that greater success would be recorded when citizens volunteer information about Boko Haram terrorists as their own contributions towards making the country safe for all peace-loving citizens.
He said, “It is for this reason that we are revisiting the Whistleblowers Policy of the Military in the counter-terrorism war. We recall that the Nigerian Army, not long ago offered N500,000 to some whistleblowers as reward for providing information about suicide bombers. This practice has been in place for some time but it appears Nigerians are not tapping into it as a way helping to make their own communities secured and safer. We must re-commit ourselves to the services of humanity by stopping and encouraging actions that will prevent any form of bloodshed as God Almighty hates the spilling of blood.
“The introduction of whistleblowing in the counter insurgency operations in the north east is no doubt a follow up to the order by the Acting President redeploying the entire military architecture of the country to the north east to confront the new wave of terrorism. We count it as a plus that whistleblowing would be the equivalent of the improved welfare implemented by the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai for troops fighting the terrorists.
“Our appeal however is that the military should consider varying the rewards for whistleblowing. Fear of retribution from the terrorists could be holding back some citizens that have vital information. To this end, we suggest that the reward for certain level of whistleblowing should include offer of relocation and provision of new identities under a whistleblower protection programme. This would not only instill confidence in volunteering information but will encourage those that are in doubt to step forward.
“In the same vein, we appeal to citizens to step forward and do their bit. Terrorism is an evil that afflicts us all collectively and we must not hide behind ethnic and religious sentiments to allow it space to grow.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?
- Police declare Alhaja Sinatu Ojikutu, ex-deputy gov of Lagos State wanted for fraud
- Nigerians support anti same-sex Bill
- Another Baby Born With Quran In Lagos
- Ondo Female Legislator Fola Olasehinde Suspended Over Possession Of Fetish Objects
- Female Student Raped By Security Man And 5 Students At A Private Polytechnic In Ekiti State
- Governor Sanusi Freezes Bank Accounts Of Nigerian Churches
- OAU student gives birth and attempts to flush new born baby down the toilet in school hostel
- Tope Alabi Fights With Spiritual Father, Prophet Ajanaku
- Pressure Mounts On Hubby To Dump Ini Edo
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Keturah Hamilton: Jim Iyke Used And Dumped Me
- Are Tribal Marks Still Necessary Today?