It has been revealed that Nigeria’s communication giant, Globacom is owing the Nigeria Football Federation ((NFF) an accumulated debt of N1.2 billion before the federation refused to renew its contract which ended last year.
Sources say that the communication outfit has also rebuffed all efforts to make it pay up the debt, which is said to have added to the financial challenges of the NFF.
The Senate committee chairman for sports, Senator Obinna, explained yesterday that Globacom has refused to pay up the bill and alleviate the financial struggling of the NFF, despite all interventions; noting that the development has not only affected the financial strength of the federation, but had affected the preparation of the national teams.
Senator Ogba, who pleaded with Globacom and other stakeholders who are indebted to the NFF to come to their rescue by paying up their debts, noted that the NFF has a lot to do with money, as the federal government grant would not be enough to prosecute the matches that are lined up for both the 2018 FIFA World Cup and the 2019 AFCON.
“The NFF has so many challenges, as their debtors have refused to pay up. I have called the owner of Globacom to urge him to pay up his debts to the NFF, but he has refused to pick his calls. I do not want to talk bad about a stakeholder, who has done much in the development of sports in the country, but it is very good for a man to be bold and take up his responsibilities
“The NFF with all these debts cannot meet up with so many of their challenges. They have a new office to move into, but due to financial challenges, they cannot achieve all these and Globacom has not paid them the big money they owe since after the end of their contract with the federation.
“It is obvious that they cannot depend solely on government grants because it would not be enough to organize even one match in any of qualifiers they have at hand. So all stakeholders must join hands by contributing their own quota for the country’s flag to be hoisted at these championships. It is not for any individual, but for the country,” Ogba noted.
Latest Nigeria News
- Top 5 Christmas Movies Of All Times And Their Synopsis
- Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In Short Supply
- MMM For Money Money Money: All The Lessons We Should Have Learnt
- Google Play’s Best Of 2017: What Ruled This Year?
- Stop Libyan Slave Trade: Five Ideas On Halting The Sale Of Africans
- Funny Christmas Quotes To Keep You Company For The Next 30 Days
- This Is How Giving Makes You Rich- Quotes & Facts
- Margaret Kenyatta: Everything You Need To Know About Kenya’s First Lady
- Danish Government Apology: Healing The Wounds Of Ghana Slave Trade
- Katie Pavlich Measurements, Married, Husband, Bio, Height, Instagram
- Nigeria Coat of Arm: Fast Facts About The Special Symbol
- Top 5 Onion Health Facts You Didn’t Know
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''
- Steady rise in prostitution despite ban in Abuja
- Mercy Johnson And Tonto Dike In A War Of Words
- Video Of Nigerian Lawmakers In A Bloody Fight
- Miss Unizik Nude Photos Leaked By Ex-Boyfriend
- Big Boy: Ice Prince Wears Same Givenchy Shirt As P Diddy To BET Awards
- Shameful - Iyanya Tattooed Yvonne Nelson's Name On His Wrist
- 2 Unilag Students Dead, 3 Others Almost Dead After Fatal Car Accident [Photos]
- Omotola Poses For THISDAY Style Photoshoot
- Hot or Not? - Genevieve's Dress To Ebony Life TV Launch
- Celestial Church Prophet Owolere Odunuga Jailed In Kirikiri Over Visa Fraud
- ASUU Embarks on a Total and Indefinite Nation-wide Strike from 1st July
- Super Eagles’ Handler: Keshi or foreign coach?
- 11 Burnt To Death In Ibadan Auto Accident
- Former Nollywood Actress Eucharia Anunobi In Senegal For 7-Day Crusade
- Stephanie Okereke-Linus Bags Africa Women Awards
- Federal Government bans civil servants from taking chieftaincy titles
- Omotola's Waka-Pass Role On American National TV Show
- £3,000 visa bond: Federal Government warns British govt
- First Bank Nigeria Plc Security man breaks ATM, steals N12m
- John Olumba, 31-Year Old Nigerian Running For Detroit Mayor
- Whats up with this picture?
- Why President Barack Obama Is Not Visiting Nigeria
- Most Overexposed Celebrities In Nigeria
- Wizkid Tells Unilag Students: ‘I don’t do cheap money’
- Islamic cleric Rapes Teenager During Deliverance
- Is This A Case Of "Bad" Underwear?