It has been revealed that Nigeria’s communication giant, Globacom is owing the Nigeria Football Federation ((NFF) an accumulated debt of N1.2 billion before the federation refused to renew its contract which ended last year.
Sources say that the communication outfit has also rebuffed all efforts to make it pay up the debt, which is said to have added to the financial challenges of the NFF.
The Senate committee chairman for sports, Senator Obinna, explained yesterday that Globacom has refused to pay up the bill and alleviate the financial struggling of the NFF, despite all interventions; noting that the development has not only affected the financial strength of the federation, but had affected the preparation of the national teams.
Senator Ogba, who pleaded with Globacom and other stakeholders who are indebted to the NFF to come to their rescue by paying up their debts, noted that the NFF has a lot to do with money, as the federal government grant would not be enough to prosecute the matches that are lined up for both the 2018 FIFA World Cup and the 2019 AFCON.
“The NFF has so many challenges, as their debtors have refused to pay up. I have called the owner of Globacom to urge him to pay up his debts to the NFF, but he has refused to pick his calls. I do not want to talk bad about a stakeholder, who has done much in the development of sports in the country, but it is very good for a man to be bold and take up his responsibilities
“The NFF with all these debts cannot meet up with so many of their challenges. They have a new office to move into, but due to financial challenges, they cannot achieve all these and Globacom has not paid them the big money they owe since after the end of their contract with the federation.
“It is obvious that they cannot depend solely on government grants because it would not be enough to organize even one match in any of qualifiers they have at hand. So all stakeholders must join hands by contributing their own quota for the country’s flag to be hoisted at these championships. It is not for any individual, but for the country,” Ogba noted.
Latest Nigeria News
- Kenya Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism Of Its Elements
- Senegalese Music: The Women And Men Dominating The Scene
- Jacaranda Tree: What You Need To Know About This Beauty
- How To Dab: Dance Origin And Why Everyone Is Doing It
- Make A Stressful Time Bearable By Doing These
- Nnedi Okoroafor Is Taking Lagos, Nigeria To The Comic World
- Anonymous Logo: What The Hactivists Want You To Know About Them
- Ethiopian Flag: The Meaning, Designer And Symbolism
- Using Poop To Cook In Kenya
- Mr Popo: Everything About The Strongest Character in Dragon Ball Z
- Sierra Leone: Over 300 People Killed In Mudslide
- Burkina Faso: Gunmen Attack Ouagadougou Restaurant, killing 18
- New Study: Top 5 Things That Can Give You Cancer
- Porous Definition, Meaning, Synonyms And Sentence Use
- Bitcoin Surge: All The Possible Reasons Why The Cryptocurrency Has Broken Past $4000
- Kenya Elects First Female Governors Amidst Post-election Tension
- New Study: Vitamin B3 Intake Could Prevent Miscarriages & Birth Defects
- How Tall Is Putin And Other Facts About The Russian President
- Time In Nigeria: The Concept Of Nigerian Time
- Election Time In Kenya: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- Isaac Makwala: Runner Denied Entry To London Stadium And Africa Wants To Know Why
- Kimlan Jinakul: Thaliland Grandma Achieves Her Academic Dream @ 91
- Facebook And Chill! Five Reasons We Are Excited That Facebook Is Going Into The TV Game
- Natalie Becker: The Rise Of The South African Actress
- The Real Cost Of An Electric Car
- Guam Threat: North Korea Aims To Strike The US Military Installation
- Zuma’s Latest No-Confidence Vote: The Real Winners And Losers
- Kenya Election Day: Opposition Says The Election Was Hacked In The President’s Favor
- Fasten Your Loan Request At Equity Bank Kenya With These Tips
- Hiroshima & Nagasaki: 6 Quick Facts About The Historical Tragedies
- Can Men Really Lactate?
- India: The Medical Dilemma Of A 10-Year Old Pregnant Rape Victim
- Popular Slogans You Should Get To Know In Kenya’s Elections
- Kenyan Elections: Barack Obama Warns Leaders Not To Compromise On Peace
- UN Sanctions: North Korea Out To Deal With The United States
- Definition, Meaning And Sentence Use Of Cowed
- Nigeria: Gang-related Feud Claims Lives In Ozubulu Church Gun Attack
- Paul Kagame’s Third Term: Four Things Rwandans Can Expect
- GhanaSat-1: Ghana’s First Satellite Now Orbiting The Earth
- Tumeric: What To Know About The Spice And Its Health Benefits