It has been revealed that Nigeria’s communication giant, Globacom is owing the Nigeria Football Federation ((NFF) an accumulated debt of N1.2 billion before the federation refused to renew its contract which ended last year.
Sources say that the communication outfit has also rebuffed all efforts to make it pay up the debt, which is said to have added to the financial challenges of the NFF.
The Senate committee chairman for sports, Senator Obinna, explained yesterday that Globacom has refused to pay up the bill and alleviate the financial struggling of the NFF, despite all interventions; noting that the development has not only affected the financial strength of the federation, but had affected the preparation of the national teams.
Senator Ogba, who pleaded with Globacom and other stakeholders who are indebted to the NFF to come to their rescue by paying up their debts, noted that the NFF has a lot to do with money, as the federal government grant would not be enough to prosecute the matches that are lined up for both the 2018 FIFA World Cup and the 2019 AFCON.
“The NFF has so many challenges, as their debtors have refused to pay up. I have called the owner of Globacom to urge him to pay up his debts to the NFF, but he has refused to pick his calls. I do not want to talk bad about a stakeholder, who has done much in the development of sports in the country, but it is very good for a man to be bold and take up his responsibilities
“The NFF with all these debts cannot meet up with so many of their challenges. They have a new office to move into, but due to financial challenges, they cannot achieve all these and Globacom has not paid them the big money they owe since after the end of their contract with the federation.
“It is obvious that they cannot depend solely on government grants because it would not be enough to organize even one match in any of qualifiers they have at hand. So all stakeholders must join hands by contributing their own quota for the country’s flag to be hoisted at these championships. It is not for any individual, but for the country,” Ogba noted.
Latest Nigeria News
- Morocco To Test The ‘Fastest Train In Africa’
- Pixel Buds: Google Developed Earbuds That Translate 40 Languages In Real-Time
- Ntando Mahlangu: The 15-Year-Old Blade Runner Making South Africa Proud
- China’s Wicked New Way To Force Debtors To Pay Up
- Akon Lighting Africa Initiative: Singer Takes Power To Mozambique
- This Is How Contact Lenses Could Harm Your Eyesight
- Diwali: 5 Things You Should Know About The Indian Light Festival
- Black Or White: Who Should Exercise More?
- Remember Haile Selassie? Grandson Weds His Princess In A Lavish Ceremony [Photos]
- Baby Kicks: 7 Quick Facts You Didn’t Know
- Panama Papers Journalist Killed In Malta: 5 Answers To Questions You Have
- World Food Day: Preventing Food Waste In Your Own Home
- The Different Shades Of Joy: World Happiness Report 2017
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark
- Five Quick Facts About Ghana’s Recent Gas Explosion
- Madagascar Plague: All You Need To Know
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''