The leadership of the pan-Igbo group, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, has faulted the silence of most northern leaders over the hate song being spread against the Igbo in the North.
Except former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, who has openly condemned the anti-Igbo song being rendered in Hausa language, other northern leaders have kept mute on the issue.
In reaction to the ugly development on Thursday, Ohanaeze expressed worry over the silence of northern leaders on the hate song against Igbo, insisting their silence is unfortunate and omnious.
The apex Igbo body’s President-General, Chief John Nnia Nwodo, in a statement said: “The current Hausa-language hate song trending in the social media is despicable, sad and disappointing.
“Ohanaeze is appalled that prominent leaders in the North (with the exception of a few), have allowed this development to flourish without reproach. The Arewa youths have stoked the embers of hatred to a discomforting temperature. The toleration of their criminal conduct has portrayed the Federal Government as biased and unfair.
“Their (Arewa youths) quit notice to fellow Nigerians to leave any part of Nigeria strikes at the fundamental rights of citizenship.
It is a call for the dissolution of the country. Their call for an inventory and seizure of assets of Nigerians living in the North is conversion. It amounts to a day light robbery of lawful property.
“The declaration of mop-up action after October 1, 2017, to deal with those who resist their quit notice order is a declaration of war. It is surprising that on top of all these, a hate song calling for more hatred, despise and ‘abortion’ has been allowed to fester. Yet no one is arrested.
“All the orders of arrest from Kaduna State and the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) seem to be ambivalent and unreal. The youths meet freely with governors of Northern Nigeria and Northern leaders showing that they enjoy their support,” he stressed.
Nwodo pointed out that the development signals the beginning of a national catastrophe which if not nipped in the bud, will snowball into incalculable damage to the continued existence as one country.
“Ohanaeze gives notice to the Federal Government to deal with this situation decisively or forever be held responsible for the consequences this abdication of responsibility provoke. A stitch in time saves nine”, he emphasized.
Latest Nigeria News
- Morocco To Test The ‘Fastest Train In Africa’
- Pixel Buds: Google Developed Earbuds That Translate 40 Languages In Real-Time
- Ntando Mahlangu: The 15-Year-Old Blade Runner Making South Africa Proud
- China’s Wicked New Way To Force Debtors To Pay Up
- Akon Lighting Africa Initiative: Singer Takes Power To Mozambique
- This Is How Contact Lenses Could Harm Your Eyesight
- Diwali: 5 Things You Should Know About The Indian Light Festival
- Black Or White: Who Should Exercise More?
- Remember Haile Selassie? Grandson Weds His Princess In A Lavish Ceremony [Photos]
- Baby Kicks: 7 Quick Facts You Didn’t Know
- Panama Papers Journalist Killed In Malta: 5 Answers To Questions You Have
- World Food Day: Preventing Food Waste In Your Own Home
- The Different Shades Of Joy: World Happiness Report 2017
- The Pope Speaks Up About Hunger: 15 Must Know Facts About The Versatile Pope
- Night Owls And Early Birds: Everything You Need To Know
- Thomas Sankara: 7 Quick Facts About Burkina Faso’s Unforgettable Leader
- Zim’s New Minister Of Whatsapp: All You Need To Know
- Che Guevara Quotes: Fiery Words Of A Great Revolutionary
- 10 African Women The Girl Child Can Look Up To
- Intelligent Behaviour: 6 Things That Show Your Intelligence
- This Chinese Museum Compared Africans To Animals With A Picture Exhibit
- Ava-Rose Nightingale: The Baby Born With Her Intestines Outside The Abdomen
- International Day Of The Girl Child: 5 Victories For The Girl Child In 2017
- Top 6 Reasons Why Radio Remains Africa’s Best Media Tool
- Nutrition: Top 5 Reasons Why Eating Eggs Is Good For You
- Tobi Cohen: Nigerian Woman Makes Record In Israeli Defense Forces
- A Complete Guide to Giving the Best Anniversary Gift that Will be Appreciated
- Raila Odinga Pulls Out Of Kenya’s Re-run Election
- This Is Why Women Tend To Be More Generous Than Men
- Human Waste As The Fuel Of The Future: Two Possibilities
- World Mental Health Day: Searching For Peace In The Rubble
- Kofi Annan Quotes: Words Of A Progressive African Leader
- Trevor Noah Is Now An Award Winning Author, 10 Of His Best Quotes
- Kim Yo-jong: Sister of North Korea’s Leader Gets A Promotion, Five Fast Facts
- Top 10 Interesting Handshake Facts You Need To Know
- Racism: 3 Times Dove Commercials Missed The Mark
- Five Quick Facts About Ghana’s Recent Gas Explosion
- Madagascar Plague: All You Need To Know
- Thieves On The Chest
- Black Face complains: ''2face owes me money, and he won't pay back''